The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So do the Timbers get any sort of benefit for being so bad this year? Like how the last place NFL team gets the first draft pick the following year...

Huh. Just found this thread since it popped up on "today's posts."

I'm not much of a MLS fan, since we don't have a team in the St Louis area. We used to have an ASL side, but financing fell apart before it could really get a footing. There was always a decent crowd there, and the same group owned the women's team (Hope Solo was our keeper). It was ultimately insider funny-business, not poor attendance etc that caused the shutdown. Lame.

Anyway.....

BAYERN MUNICH!

Do you guys have any regular streaming sites to watch games? I was trying to find one to watch the Sounders / Whitecaps game Saturday but couldn't find anything that worked. Its lame that they didn't televise that game on local channels like our normal games.

Big game coming up against the Timbers!

Do you guys have any regular streaming sites to watch games? I was trying to find one to watch the Sounders / Whitecaps game Saturday but couldn't find anything that worked. Its lame that they didn't televise that game on local channels like our normal games.

Big game coming up against the Timbers!

This match is on ESPN I believe. Does your ISP not let you watch ESPN3?

Otherwise, try the suggestions I pm'd to you.

This match is on ESPN I believe. Does your ISP not let you watch ESPN3?

Otherwise, try the suggestions I pm'd to you.

Yeah I get ESPN3 and the XBOX ESPN games, but the Fox Sports (Champions League), and NBC Sports games don't show up there. I'll give these a try next time. Timbers game should not be a problem this weekend.

lgilmore, I haven't seen anything on the Sounders site to stream the live games. I've watched the game cast but that's frustrating for me. Its like being blind sided with excitement and despair without any build up.

So do the Timbers get any sort of benefit for being so bad this year? Like how the last place NFL team gets the first draft pick the following year...

Yes. They get draft choices and player allotments. They don’t get quite as much of that as Toronto, though. Portland hasn’t done well, but show some promise at times. Toronto is just hopeless.

I haven’t been on here much, since I haven’t had much time to brew with 2 kids under the age of 3.
I’ve started a beer and soccer blog that some of you might be interested in, with beer reviews and discussion about soccer, especially the MLS (with a Whitecaps focus).
I’m currently working on a series that’s a beer reviewed for each of the teams that qualifies for the MLS playoffs.
http://footieandfermentedbarley.wordpress.com

Huh. Just found this thread since it popped up on "today's posts."

I'm not much of a MLS fan, since we don't have a team in the St Louis area.

You do have one of the strongest sides in the league in Kansas City, though. It’s a little late in the season, but I’d highly suggest a road trip to catch a match next season. Nothing like seeing your regional team kick some ass in front of 18,000 fans.

soundsandsuds said:
You do have one of the strongest sides in the league in Kansas City, though. It’s a little late in the season, but I’d highly suggest a road trip to catch a match next season. Nothing like seeing your regional team kick some ass in front of 18,000 fans.

This. And LiveStrong Sporting Park is gorgeous and has a great atmosphere

Bain?

"lgilmore, I haven't seen anything on the Sounders site to stream the live games. I've watched the game cast but that's frustrating for me. Its like being blind sided with excitement and despair without any build up."

I know I've watched open cup games on the web. Usually by going to the Sounders site and linking in there. Check the seattle times, sometimes somebody knows how to catch a game on the net.

"You do have one of the strongest sides in the league in Kansas City, though. It’s a little late in the season, but I’d highly suggest a road trip to catch a match next season. Nothing like seeing your regional team kick some ass in front of 18,000 fans."

That's a real long drive from the Lou to KC. The Lou could probably use a team in the future as there's enough population and I think a good soccer base to support it.

Sunday Seattle and Portland tee it up,, 66,000 tickets sold so far. Gonna sell the place out.

lgilmore said:
That's a real long drive from the Lou to KC. The Lou could probably use a team in the future as there's enough population and I think a good soccer base to support it.

Mapquest said 4 hrs. I live in Canada and on the west coast, so that's peanuts. In December I'm moving to Victoria and plan on coming back to Vancouver once a month for matches. That's an hour to the ferry, a 1.5hr ferry ride and an hour into town. Well worth it, though.

St. Louis should have a team, for sure. It's pretty unlikely that the MLS would put an expansion team there. An NASL team would be great, though. I saw some Whitecaps games while they were in that league and it was some good football. Not quite the quality of MLS, but highly enjoyable.

Holy crap, already at 66k? What's the capacity, around 75k right?

According to Wikipedia, Century Link has an NFL capacity of 67,000 thats expandable to 72,000 for special events. MLS capacity is 38,500 expandable to 67,000 for special events.

I'm not sure where the extra 5,000 seats come from in the NFL. Normally they only open the lower bowl plus a couple rows of the upper bowl for MLS unless its a big game like LA, Portland, or a friendly and then they open it all.

StL did have a NASL team for a bit. AC StL. They played at a small place- maybe 2,500-3,000 capacity, and every match I went to had a good crowd. Sadly, they were owned by the same investment group that owned St Louis Athletica, the pro womens' team (Hope Solo was our keeper). A couple investors bailed and the whole operation collapsed. That group was in the bidding for a MLS expansion...can't remember which city we lost out to.

StL-KC is quite a drive, but not horrible. I always intend to hit a Chicago match when I'm up there, but scheduling never works out.

Pele "the king" was never man enough to go to play to Europe, only Brazil and a little in the US when he was older I think he was great but a little overrated, Brazil national team had a lot of great players when he was around...

Pele "the king" was never man enough to go to play to Europe, only Brazil and a little in the US when he was older I think he was great but a little overrated, Brazil national team had a lot of great players when he was around...

It was a different world back then. Players mostly stayed in their home country. The South American leagues were therefore much better relative to today.

First Brazilian player in the Premiership was 1987 (as an example)
http://www.magpieszone.com/nufc-gre...a-the-first-south-american-in-premier-league/

Saying Pele wasn't man enough is stupid.

McGarnigle said:
Saying Pele wasn't man enough is stupid.

Agreed. At the time, most Leagues had limits on the number of foreign players per team. Very few clubs had money to splash out on international superstars before earning a lot of money through selling tv rights.
At the time Europe was still a pretty nationally (as opposed to continentally) focused place. Racism was still rampant and black players were subject to abuse from opposing sides' (and sometimes their own sides' supporters). Italy still has problems with racist chants, monkey noises and banana throwing. (See the Tottenham/Lazio Europa cup match a few weeks ago.) I think it's probably fair to say that Pele wouldn't have felt the grief was worth it.
Viewing the football world of 35 years ago like it was the same as today is ridiculous. The International transfer market barely existed. Spain was a dictatorship, the then First Division in England had nowhere near the money that the Premier league does today, Germany was still divided and Italy was (and still can be) ferociously xenophobic. Exactly where would he have played?

Went to see my Chicago Fire play the Philadelphia Union last night - they were celebrating the 15th anniversary of the club's formation on Oct. 8th, 1997. Brought Blanco, Chris Armas and Peter Nowak back to celebrate. Enjoyed a Lakefront New Grist, a Fat Tire and a Pilsner Urquell. And watched the Fire spit the bit with horrible defensive lapses as they went down 1-3. Two losses in a row - crap.

Vancouver gave Chivas USA a four-nil drubbing last night and played the best football I've seen them play. Not a weak link on the field. Finally. It was getting worrisome for a bit, there. Still too tight with Dallas, but our win ended Chivas', Portland's and Colorado's playoff aspirations all at once.

"Saying Pele wasn't man enough is stupid"

You know in all my 53 years on the planet, I have NEVER EVER read anywhere that "Pele wasn't Man enough to play in Europe" or anywhere else for that matter. I just have the feeling the guy posting never actually got to see him play, maybe wasn't even born when Pele played so has no real idea. But I've never seen those words before and never knew of anybody anywhere in the world that felt that way. I was fortunate to see him once in person as a Cosmos player, and I would NEVER make that kind of statement, especially after seeing him live.

It was a different world back then. Players mostly stayed in their home country. The South American leagues were therefore much better relative to today.
The market wasn´t what it is today but that´s not true, the really good ones move to Europe (hear about DiStefano??)

Agreed. At the time, most Leagues had limits on the number of foreign players per team. Very few clubs had money to splash out on international superstars before earning a lot of money through selling tv rights.
At the time Europe was still a pretty nationally (as opposed to continentally) focused place. Racism was still rampant and black players were subject to abuse from opposing sides' (and sometimes their own sides' supporters). Italy still has problems with racist chants, monkey noises and banana throwing. (See the Tottenham/Lazio Europa cup match a few weeks ago.) I think it's probably fair to say that Pele wouldn't have felt the grief was worth it.
Viewing the football world of 35 years ago like it was the same as today is ridiculous. The International transfer market barely existed. Spain was a dictatorship, the then First Division in England had nowhere near the money that the Premier league does today, Germany was still divided and Italy was (and still can be) ferociously xenophobic. Exactly where would he have played?

That limit still exists today... Spain was a dictorship of course General Franco´s team was Real Madrid, they had for example DiStefano and Puskas playing for them... Just take a peak at my location Ikno waht I´m talking about.

There wasn´t money in the 60´ and 70´ in Europe???? really?????? seriously?????
Where could he played??? Anyplacehw wanted: Pele said that he had offers from Real Madrid, Juventus, Manchester for instance the top three teams in the best three leagues at the moment.
Truth is he never leave Santos because he couldn´t play in Europe because he there was the chance for him of stoping being the king, competion in Europe was tougth in Brazil he has named national teasure: basicly nobody touched him

Another thing have you ever watched brazilian football??? take a lot of their courts and see and measure how big they are, at that time there were the biggest courts in the world, letting anybody run free without an obsesivve stopper behind them, In Europe football courts are smaller, that´s one of the reason brazilian football it´s all about individuality and european football it´s more tactic
You know in all my 53 years on the planet, I have NEVER EVER read anywhere that "Pele wasn't Man enough to play in Europe" or anywhere else for that matter. I just have the feeling the guy posting never actually got to see him play, maybe wasn't even born when Pele played so has no real idea. But I've never seen those words before and never knew of anybody anywhere in the world that felt that way. I was fortunate to see him once in person as a Cosmos player, and I would NEVER make that kind of statement, especially after seeing him live.

You haven´t seen or read enough about football then this discussion is something that I´ve been hearing for the last 20 years.

I´ve been involved in football my hole life this that is so exotic for you it´s a recurrent topic EVERYWHERE.

I wasn´t born when he was alive, don´t need to ¿or do I have to be 2000 years old to talk about Jesus for instance?
He was a great player but certanly not the king or the best player ever...
And guys Brazil league was nothing at the time compared to Europe... please both my grandfather and uncle were professional players... my hole family lives this sport... I´m not just talking or trying to troll.
But all this replies just tell me what I somehow already knew: you guys still need to learn a bit about the sport.

But all this replies just tell me what I somehow already knew: you guys still need to learn a bit about the sport.

And you need to learn a little bit about quoting posts, LOL. It's difficult to separate your comments from the others.

Yes, DiStefano played for Real Madrid. But that doesn't alter the gist of our comments. The gap between Europe and S.A was much less back then. There were more barriers to playing across borders (didn't the Brazilian gov't prevent Pele from leaving?). And there was far less money in the game.

To attribute Pele's decision to stay home to one of "manliness" is stupid and troll-ish.

"But all this replies just tell me what I somehow already knew: you guys still need to learn a bit about the sport."

And I really don't think you're the guy to teach us as nothing you've said impresses anyone that you possess an exceptional knowledge of the sport.

Every generation in sport has "their" superstar, currently it's Messi. 15 years from now... it will be somebody else. And that's not a knock on Messi, the guy is outstanding and a joy to watch.

And yes, I figured you weren't born when he played, by the way Pele is still alive last time I checked. Just saw him in the London Olympic Closing Ceremony.

Look, There's people who believe Mohamed Ali was the best boxer the world has seen and there's others who don't.

There's people who believe Wilt Chamberlin was the best basketball player ever, or Michael Jordon, or today Labron James. Just depends on what or who you grew up with or where you live.

And yes, you are a troll, or simply lack the understanding that each generation has it's "best" in sport and the media's job is to get you to believe today's star is better than a past star so you'll watch and read their articles.

I do think it's sad that you challenge a person's "manhood" implying he was fearful or weak as the reason he didn't do what you or your dad or grandfather "felt" he should have done. What's really funny is your using field size as a reason or rationale for your point. Let me know when they change the penalty area or goal size in a league and I might believe your point. The "pitch" no matter if it's small or big, is a rectangle with the same goals and PA. It's not like the Brazilian pitches were 50 meters wider and 25 meters longer than Spain's or Englands for example. Maybe check your FIFA laws of the game. The difference between minimum size and maximum size is 10 meters long and wide. So, while you feel you possess some superior knowledge of the game, your comments betray you. Yea, Pele was Pele because the fields in Brazil were 10 meters wider and 11 meters longer.......... So this really is the second argument I've never heard about why Pele was as good as he was... field size?

How old are you? I have this feeling I have studds that are much older than you.

Well Chicago is going to need to shake off that bad loss if they're going to look good on network tv in a (probably) sold-out red bull arena.

Also, Portland at Seattle on ESPN in front of 66k+ is going to be nuts, with Portland clinching the Cascadia Cup with a win or draw.

Then there's LA vs RSL for the number two spot in the west.

It's a good weekend to be a domestic soccer fan.

George Best would have been better than Pele anyway,..........If he could have stayed sober, and maybe turn up for work occasionally. ;)

lgilmore said:
"But all this replies just tell me what I somehow already knew: you guys still need to learn a bit about the sport."

And I really don't think you're the guy to teach us as nothing you've said impresses anyone that you possess an exceptional knowledge of the sport.

Every generation in sport has "their" superstar, currently it's Messi. 15 years from now... it will be somebody else. And that's not a knock on Messi, the guy is outstanding and a joy to watch.

And yes, I figured you weren't born when he played, by the way Pele is still alive last time I checked. Just saw him in the London Olympic Closing Ceremony.

Look, There's people who believe Mohamed Ali was the best boxer the world has seen and there's others who don't.

There's people who believe Wilt Chamberlin was the best basketball player ever, or Michael Jordon, or today Labron James. Just depends on what or who you grew up with or where you live.

And yes, you are a troll, or simply lack the understanding that each generation has it's "best" in sport and the media's job is to get you to believe today's star is better than a past star so you'll watch and read their articles.

I do think it's sad that you challenge a person's "manhood" implying he was fearful or weak as the reason he didn't do what you or your dad or grandfather "felt" he should have done. What's really funny is your using field size as a reason or rationale for your point. Let me know when they change the penalty area or goal size in a league and I might believe your point. The "pitch" no matter if it's small or big, is a rectangle with the same goals and PA. It's not like the Brazilian pitches were 50 meters wider and 25 meters longer than Spain's or Englands for example. Maybe check your FIFA laws of the game. The difference between minimum size and maximum size is 10 meters long and wide. So, while you feel you possess some superior knowledge of the game, your comments betray you. Yea, Pele was Pele because the fields in Brazil were 10 meters wider and 11 meters longer.......... So this really is the second argument I've never heard about why Pele was as good as he was... field size?

How old are you? I have this feeling I have studds that are much older than you.
First got to tell you that Brazilian fields were (some of them) 120 mts long when averge in Europe was 95 the international standards of field length as you know them today were different at the time and still are if you look at the FIFA web site you'll note that national fields can vary from 90 to 120 and international between 100 and 110 and width range from 45 to 90 (yes twice as much) national and 64 to 75 international. These rules had changes trough history. I wasn't a great player but I did travel a lot (thanks to my uncle actually) when I was a teen between Argentina Uruguay and Brazil and played in Brazilian fields, they are huge and I didn't read this some place I was there... the opposite can be tell about Uruguay their fields are tiny...
Pele was great but not the king... I think Garrincha was a lot better than Pele... and every player in the Brazilian team was great... Pele in club level he only got two libertadores in 20 year career... of course he haves three world cups two of then thanks to the magic of Garrincha (top scorer and MVP in world cup 62) and superb in the 58. In the 70 was Brazil the team an not just Pele.
If you ever play football at a Brazilian field you'll know better.
I know how to quote by the way the thing its I'm using my phone and I can't multi quote

You do realize that in 1961 the President of Brazil had Pele declared a national treasure? It's kind of hard to go play in Europe when there is a law that says you can't leave the country.

It's alright if you think someone is better than Pele. Not everyone is going to agree on the best footballer in the world. What's not alright though, is saying he wasn't man enough to play in Europe when you have no idea of the circumstances behind it.

Punity said:
Haha Portland winning the cup almost a laughable prospect.

I don't know man. They seem to get crazy good when they play Cascadia rivals

You do realize that in 1961 the President of Brazil had Pele declared a national treasure? It's kind of hard to go play in Europe when there is a law that says you can't leave the country.

It's alright if you think someone is better than Pele. Not everyone is going to agree on the best footballer in the world. What's not alright though, is saying he wasn't man enough to play in Europe when you have no idea of the circumstances behind it.

that was 1969 seven years after his 2nd world cup... he had offers that he rejected himself confesed later in several interviews: at least Madrid Juventus and Manchester

This been said and because I don´t want to -meant to troll I got to say that it was wrong to talk about Pele manhood (specially when everybody talked about it at the time nad it´s something that has been discussed) pulling a man card was wrong but I stand still about the original comment I think Pele didn´t have the courage to take the choice of going to Europe (he had lots of chances) because he was considered the king and didn´t wanted to be contested, like a reigning boxing champ that refuses to figth good boxers. I believe that this as a "soccer" thread and some incivility was allow. I really don´t like to argue actually but soccer really means something for me I don´t speak from the pedestal of knowing-it-all just from my experience of being raised in a football family in a football country. By the way I´m 32 not a kid I hacen´t played in years (only with friends on weekends) and wasn´t a great player neither but I do know the sport from the inside.
My apologizes if a touched a sensitve fiber... you´ll probably see more of this if I stay around but by no means I want to troll

Well Chicago is going to need to shake off that bad loss if they're going to look good on network tv in a (probably) sold-out red bull arena.

Also, Portland at Seattle on ESPN in front of 66k+ is going to be nuts, with Portland clinching the Cascadia Cup with a win or draw.

Then there's LA vs RSL for the number two spot in the west.

It's a good weekend to be a domestic soccer fan.

I know, it would have been great to go up a point or three over the damned Red Bull before the match on Saturday. On the other hand, this game means a lot now - the number two spot in the east. Haven't decided yet whether I'm watching at home or going to a watch party at a local pub.

Back