Are brown plastic soda bottles the same as PET brewers' bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewhan

Reaction score
I'm deciding between buying a bunch of PET plastic beer bottles from my brewstore, or reusing soft-drink bottles.

Is there any actual difference between the two, besides the fact that some soda bottles aren't brown (which I gather means I need to leave them in the dark while brewing).

Are Coke bottles PET?

Thanks!

I'm deciding between buying a bunch of PET plastic beer bottles from my brewstore, or reusing soft-drink bottles.

Is there any actual difference between the two, besides the fact that some soda bottles aren't brown (which I gather means I need to leave them in the dark while brewing).
Thanks!

I'm hoping they're the same. I just bottled six 710mL Pepsi bottles from each of two batches I kegged over the weekend. Definitely keeping them in the dark, far from light until I drink them.

Most plastic bottles that hold carbonated beverages are PET. Look at the recycling number on the bottom of the bottle, it should be 1 for PET. The lack of being brown is the big difference.

I have heard of brewers using plastic spray paint to paint PET soda bottles black. Don't know if that really works, or is worth the effort.

I keg, but use PET bottles to carry beer around in. It is SO simple to just fill the bottle from the tap. Someday, I am going to rig one of those rubber stopper bottle fillers to fit a standard PET bottle, so I can do it proper.

Back