Flavor profile for Golden Promise?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsuarez

Reaction score
I have been using Marris Otter as my base malt for some time, and I really enjoy its richly malty, nutty, graham cracker-esque flavor.

I have decided to switch it up tho, and yesterday I brewed an ESB with Golden Promise malt. I havent really been able to find any info online about GP's flavor profile. All I can find is that its "Good for all kinds of ales: pale ale, stout, etc. etc."

Anybody have any comments on the flavor of Golden Promise? I'm excited to taste this one. As much as I love Marris Otter, I am ready to try something new.

I have to up this. Nobody has used Golden Promise malt? Like it? dislike it? clean? malty?

There doesn't seem to be a complete profile on this grain that I could find. I looked all over, even on the Simpson's website, and had no luck finding a spec sheet. I want to try a SMaSH with it but I have a backlog of brewing to catch up on first.

I think it's supposed to be a little sweeter than Maris Otter. I made a pale ale with it once which I wasn't hugely impressed with, but that could well have been the recipe rather than the malt. I believe Timothy Taylor uses Golden Promise for their Landlord bitter, which many people I know rate as one of the best UK beers. So my own less than stellar attempt notwithstanding, you can make great beer with GP.

Back