Beer not fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B-Christ

Reaction score
Okay, I started the AHS Winter Chocolate Stout on Saturday morning (about 2 days ago). I expected to see the airlock bubbling after 24-48 hours. But it is still not moving at all. Is there something that could be causing it to not ferment, (temperature?). The bucket thermometer reads about 67 degrees. Please let me know what I can do. I was really looking forward to this brew.

I am the resident noob, but from my experience of the 2 batches I've made I would say it was a little cool for stout, but even so, everyone here will tell you to hold tight before re-pitching any further yeast. My first batch was so slow it never even formed a proper head in the primary stage but it still came out a winner.

My last 2 batches (2/3) showed 0 airlock activity. One I bottled last night and I took a sample of batch #3 and it dropped from OG and is nearly FG after a week. Trust hydrometer & time over airlock / bubbles.

You don't really know that the beer is fermenting or not.

You should never use a cheap chinese plastic airlock as a "fermentation Gauge," it's not...It's an airlock, a VALVE to release excess CO2, to keep from blowing the lid off the fermentor...If it's not bubbling that just means that there's not enough CO2 to climb out of the airlock, or the CO2 is just forming a nice cushion on top of the beer like it's supposed to, or the airlock is askew, or it is leaking out the cheap rubber grommet, or you have a leak in the bucket seal...all those are fine...if CO2 is getting out then nothing's getting in....

Over half of my beers have had no airlock activity...

The only gauge of fermentaion is your hydrometer. And it's too soon for that, so relax.

Besides, as this thread says; https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-start-43635/

If your hydrometer confirms that it really ISN'T fermenting, it might have been that your wort was too hot when you pitched, or that the yeast wasn't rehydrated... How/when did you pitch?

Trust the Hydrometer Luke,
OK, do you have water in the air lock?
Are you certain that the seals are tight and C02 is not leaking out? Press down on the lid on the plastic bucket top, or push down on the carboy top. You should see some bubbles, if not, its not air tight.
In all cases, depending on the yeast starter, the airation of the wort, nutrients, etc fermentation can start slow or take forever.
As stated before; Trust the hydrometer Luke. After seven days take a measurement, that will tell you if you have a problem.

Trust the Hydrometer Luke,
OK, do you have water in the air lock?
Are you certain that the seals are tight and C02 is not leaking out? Press down on the lid on the plastic bucket top, or push down on the carboy top. You should see some bubbles, if not, its not air tight.
In all cases, depending on the yeast starter, the airation of the wort, nutrients, etc fermentation can start slow or take forever.
As stated before; Trust the hydrometer Luke. After seven days take a measurement, that will tell you if you have a problem.

Okay, I know how an airlock works. And I did check for leaks, and found none. Though, I waited and took a gravity reading today. OG was 1.058, a little high for this brew probably due to the alcohol boost sugar added. The second reading (today) was 1.022. The only problem is that there was some floating sediment, worried it might be bacteria. Here is a picture. It looks harmless, but was accompanied by a slimy thin film on the top as well.
DSC00812.jpg
[/IMG]
But, I think that the beer will be salvageable, I was more afraid of loosing all that money. But I thank all you guys for the help. I may need more if there is another problem. :mug:

It's a chocolate stout...the floaties are normal, just stuff kicked up from the co2, it's not infected, you have noobitus, but if you keep peaking at it, then you WILL increase the chance of something getting into it..and REALLY infecting it...

Leave it alone...let it finish and clear, a lot of us leave our beers alone for a month...we pich yeast and walk away, trusting that after 2000 + years the yeasties know how to make beer...we just get in the way.

Stepaway_copy.jpg

Yeah, I am usually good about letting it just sit for a few weeks. Which I will continue to do now. Thanks guys.

From one noob to another, put the lid back on and forget about it for another ~3 weeks.

Heres something that will help, go get another fementor and another kit. This way you'll have 2 brews going at the same time, and the bubbling of the airlock on the 2nd one will make you forget about the "inactivity" of the other airlock. Seriously.

Back