stuff I throw together?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oildude

Reaction score
I wonder what this is going to be good or not?

3.5 gal city water
6 lbs 65/35 wheat lme 60 min boil
2 oz. argentine cascade hops 3.6au 60 min boil
2 lbs clover honey 15 min boil
1oz. argentine cascade hops 3.6au 10 min boil
3 gal after boil

add 2.5 gal chilled spring water

wort at 80f.

pitched 2 11g. nottingham packs.

this is the first brew I needed a blowoff tube.

p.s. the house smelled like lemon grass from the hops after the boil!

What size batch are you making? I see nine gallons of water with 8lbs. of sugars. If you put this in a 6.5 gallon fermenter I bet you need a blowoff!! If you relaxed and drank too many homebrews during the brew session and typed in too much water it should be about six gallons of water total and should be fine. Two packs of notty is overkill, but it's one of the only ingredients that hasn't gone up in price lately so screw it!! I made a similar beer recently for the wife with lime zest and mint instead of the late hop addition and without the honey. It's coming along nicely .

cuinrearview said:
What size batch are you making? I see nine gallons of water with 8lbs. of sugars. If you put this in a 6.5 gallon fermenter I bet you need a blowoff!! If you relaxed and drank too many homebrews during the brew session and typed in too much water it should be about six gallons of water total and should be fine. Two packs of notty is overkill, but it's one of the only ingredients that hasn't gone up in price lately so screw it!! I made a similar beer recently for the wife with lime zest and mint instead of the late hop addition and without the honey. It's coming along nicely .

sorry 5.5 gal of wort. I boiled off .5 gal :D

Any one think it will smell like lemon grass in the glass?

or even taste like lemons or lemony?

oildude said:
Any one think it will smell like lemon grass in the glass?

or even taste like lemons or lemony?

Hop aroma fades with time so I would assume that "lemon grass" aroma will fade. The citrusy character of those Cascades will come through but probably not as harshly as right after the boil.

Argentine cascade is radically different from US Cascades. I doubt you'll have a lemon flavor, but the aroma should persist for a while.

david_42 said:
Argentine cascade is radically different from US Cascades. I doubt you'll have a lemon flavor, but the aroma should persist for a while.

Have you used Argentine cascade hops ?

Any comment on the taste?

My LHBS has them. In the newsletter they were described as exhibiting characteristics of certain German noble hops, namely Tettnang and Spalt. I haven't used them myself yet, but that should give you a good idea of their character and where they would make good substitutions.

If you want to maintain some of the honey flavor and aroma, you should halt your wort chilling at about 170-150F and then add your honey. Let it sit for 10 minutes and then resume chilling. Adding honey to the boil pretty much boils off the aroma and distinctive honey flavor. If not, go ahead and boil it. IMHO, you'd be about as well off to add sugar since it's so much cheaper. .

HTH,

M.

Back