American IPA My 2-time gold winning American IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm interested in the OP's, and everyone else's, quart to lbs ratio and mashing / sparging technique, since the recipe does not specify.

Also, how long did it take to completely ferment out? Was it a quick one? or did it take some time to get down to the FG?

Just tried my first sample of this IPA after kegging and carbing. Gotta say, its fantastic. Hoppy, without being bitter. Grapefruit finish. Definitely brewing this one again! Thanks for the recipe.

Dry hopped with 2 oz leaf hops and a boiled bag of marbles in an extra large herb ball. Gravity @ 1.010. Tastes great!

I'm bottling this tonight. 1.010 here as well with US-05. Sample smells amazing.

Brewed this recipe last night. Hit 94% eff... Smelt great during boil... Couldn't find any torrified wheat so substituted flaked. Anxiously anticipating this one. Thank you for sharing this.

....that case do you have American Ale recipes you'd like to share!!:mug:

Fun to see this thread still going some 4.5 years later. I haven't made this in over 3 years. After making nothing but American ales for a few years i moved on to making German lagers and Belgian ales. I'm thinking I need to put this back in the rotation.

I am now drinking my third batch (10 gallon batches!) of this recipe. I have used flaked and torrified wheat, both with great success. I fly sparge VERY slowly at 190*. This keeps the temp in the mash tun at ~170*. OG 1.072 FG 1.010. Besides the one time that I used flaked wheat, I follow the recipe as per protocol. Kudos to the OP for posting this great recipe.

Brewed this per the recipe on Sunday. First ever all grain brew. Had to top it off a bit after that 90 min boil to get it back close to 5 gallons. Still hit an OG of 1.072. Can't wait till its ready to drink! Thanks OP!

Kegged my first batch of this yesterday, smelled fantastic. Force crab'ing now. Thanks for the recipe

Kegged my first batch of this yesterday, smelled fantastic. Force crab'ing now. Thanks for the recipe

Couldn't wait so cleared the bottom of the keg and had a taste (or two)....really, really good! AND in spite of me flubbing up the yeast addition. I cracked the White Labs vials and hadn't sanitized. Yeast bubbled out, ran down my hand, over the vials and into the beer!! The indicator that I 'consumed' too much while brewing was that I DID THE SAME DAMN THING WITH THE SECOND VIAL OF YEAST!

In the end, no infections. Beer is great now and will get better if it lasts a couple weeks!

Thank you, thank you for the recipe!!

Just brewed this last week for a buddy of mine visiting from Cali I'm leaving for 10 days on Monday and when I get back I plan to dry hop it for another week then bottle it, so hopefully it's carbonated by week 3 in bottles. Can't wait!!

what would be the boil volume if we boil for 90min, with a final volume of 5 gallon?

Bryan101 said:
what would be the boil volume if we boil for 90min, with a final volume of 5 gallon?

Everybody's boil off rate is different. The average is about 1/gal per hour, so at that you would need 6.5 gallons.

You can guess closer by boiling some water for 15 minutes and extrapolating from there. You just need some way to measure your before and after volumes fairly accurately as any error is multiplied by 6.

Did anyone dry hop with less? ? When I took the og I tasted it and it seemed really hoppy already
I know this will fade a bit in fermentation but 2oz to dry hop seems like a lil much. And I'm a huge hop head

I brewed this fantastic recipe 2.5 months ago. The keg was long gone, but I still have a few bottles. Cracked one last night and it was even better than I remembered! Awesome beer!

BrokenKnucklesBrewery said:
Brewing this recipe tomorrow morning. Only difference is im replacing the chinook with herkules. Here's to a good brew day!

I take every opportunity to substitute chinook also ;-)

Mash at 154 for 60min. I had 70%eff
American Rahr (2 row) Pale: 11.50lbs
American Briess Crystal 20 1.00lbs
American Briess Light Munich 0.75lbs
American Briess Carapils 0.75lbs
American Briess Torrified Wheat 0.25lbs

Chinook (Pellet) 1oz 30min
Cascade (Pellet) 1.5oz 30min
Williamette (Pellet) 0.5oz 15min
Cascade (Pellet) 1.5oz 15min
Williamette (Pellet) 1oz 5min
Cascade (Pellet) 2oz Dry in secondary

Don't worry about the lack of a 60minute hop addition. The bitterness is spot on.

This IPA won gold in the IBU challenge at the IBU Open in Iowa earlier this year and gold at 8 Seconds of Froth a few months ago.

If you brew, let me know what you think.

so you had to use 2 viles of yeast for a 5 gallon batch?

im scaling up to 10 gallons and using wyeast 1056.......still think ill need 4 bags then?

Thanks in advance

Cheers! :mug:

Joel

im scaling up to 10 gallons and using wyeast 1056.......still think ill need 4 bags then?

Joel[/QUOTE]

I no longer use multiple bags/vials...I always make starters now. I highly recommend starters. You can use the mr.malty calculator to figure out how much yeast you should use.

Got all the supplies to make 10gal this weekend. It's been a while since I've done this brew. My technique has come leaps and bounds from last time I made this recipe. I'm excited for the results. What does everyone's preference seem to be dry hopping vs not? I may just split this into 2x5gal secondaries and dry hop one. Anyone have thoughts on how long out until ideal flavor is reached? If I can stand it, I may try and reserve a few bottles for the 6 and 12 month marks.

Some brewers claim that you can't make a true IPA without dry hopping. ;-)

As for cellering, in my opinion, the fresher this is, the better. 12 months will mellow this (just like any beer) but I prefer it crisp and lively.

Did anyone dry hop with less? ? When I took the og I tasted it and it seemed really hoppy already
I know this will fade a bit in fermentation but 2oz to dry hop seems like a lil much. And I'm a huge hop head

Dry hopping is primarily for aroma, so don't worry about it :p

Just cracked my first bottle if this. I used a Cali ale yeast and this beer turned out superb!!! I think this one will go in rotation! Thank you!!!!

Tasted for the first time yesterday. Damn it's good. Ended with an FG of 1.011 but for some reason this tastes pretty dry. It's nice and hoppy too, but I think this will mellow out a bit with time. Thanks for the recipe OP!

All I've got to say is WOW! Just poured myself a glass of this recipe and it's fantastic. Thank you so much for sharing! Will definitely make again. :mug:

IPA.jpg

I made this for the first time in a few years and damn this **** is good. How have I skipped making this for so long?

Decided to make this recipe this weekend with/for my dad. He's a Busch Light drinker but when he drinks craft, it's an IPA. Hope he likes it. Yeast starter is going and I have a good feeling this is going to be one of the best beers I've made yet. Can't wait to try it!

enohcs said:
Mash at 154 for 60min. I had 70%eff
American Rahr (2 row) Pale: 11.50lbs
American Briess Crystal 20 1.00lbs
American Briess Light Munich 0.75lbs
American Briess Carapils 0.75lbs
American Briess Torrified Wheat 0.25lbs

Chinook (Pellet) 1oz 30min
Cascade (Pellet) 1.5oz 30min
Williamette (Pellet) 0.5oz 15min
Cascade (Pellet) 1.5oz 15min
Williamette (Pellet) 1oz 5min
Cascade (Pellet) 2oz Dry in secondary

Don't worry about the lack of a 60minute hop addition. The bitterness is spot on.

This IPA won gold in the IBU challenge at the IBU Open in Iowa earlier this year and gold at 8 Seconds of Froth a few months ago.

If you brew, let me know what you think.

What yeast did you use...

What was the fermentation temp and time in primary and secondary ?

This is a 5 gallon batch ?

What is the alpha % of the hops ?

Thanks !

What yeast did you use...

What was the fermentation temp and time in primary and secondary ?

This is a 5 gallon batch ?

What is the alpha % of the hops ?

Thanks !

Stop looking on the app only. Open with a browser and you will see the info.

This is indeed a winner... what a fantastic beer... thank you for the recipe - very generous!!

On my second batch of this because the first one went quick. Dialed back the og a bit and pitched a lager yeast(it's hot here in tucson and have to cold ferment) enjoy it greatly ! Thanks for sharing !

Latest posts

Back