What's the smallest beer you can make without having it taste like water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

othevad

Reaction score
Hey guys.

So I generally make medium to bigger beers, usually anywhere from an OG of 1.060 to 1.090 or so. It's what I like and it's how I roll =P

I've been trying to do a few new things for spring/summer to put in the stocks and wanted to challenge myself to make a small beer that has some flavor. I guess really a session beer for parties and cookouts, where I don't need to knock peoples socks off. However, I would like to make the challenge to make it as small as possible and still make it viable and drinkable (I don't generally consider things like Miller Lite and stuff to be drinkable sooo)

Anyway, suggestions or ideas?

A mild, any of the Light Hybrid styles, or standard bitter can all start out in the 1.030's range and should fit the bill. Most of my light-beer drinking friends prefer my house cream ale, which uses maize & rice to put og at 1.038 but is slightly more aggressively hopped than the style calls for.

I make a few Ordinary Bitters and Northern Browns that all come in around 4%. based on an efficiency screw up my last brown came in at 3.5% and it isn't all that bad.

My go to is still an english ordinary bitter (8A BJCP if you want to get nerdy).

Stouts can be very flavorful with low ABV because of the roasted malts.
Wheat beers can be flavorful and full bodied as well with low ABV. Yeast and fermentation temp can make a big difference with this style as well.

Like these guys said.

I try to brew "Low Grav" beers on purpose becasue I want to be able to drink three (3) pints in a evening and not feel it the next day.

I brew
  • English Mild/Brown/Northern Browns
  • Stouts
  • Also Bitters but they are around the 4.5 area

I do a lot of stuff right around 5% too but it is the beer I like not the alcohol.

Then there are the Belgians I am working on but they don't fit in to this conversation...

Good Luck

So basically a session beer using a variety of styles?

A fun challenge I am tackling right now by designing an IPA, Amber, Porter and a Stout all under 4%

I may later try the same at under 3.5% as well.

So basically a session beer using a variety of styles?

A fun challenge I am tackling right now by designing an IPA, Amber, Porter and a Stout all under 4%

I may later try the same at under 3.5% as well.

At least they will be cheap!

Most of my beers are 4-5%. I do 4G BIAB batches that usually cost me under $20.

I'm about to make a 2.5% Tafelbier. Next week I think. The recipe comes from zymurgy. Search it out if you're interested.

I did a great mild in a somewhat scottish ale style that landed at 3.2%. Tons of flavor. I'll have to dig up the recipe.

I do the first runnings and make an APA 15-17brix or 6.5% abv. Then do a Parti-Gyle and that's where my lawn-mower beer comes from about 3% abv.

I do the first runnings and make an APA 15-17brix or 6.5% abv. Then do a Parti-Gyle and that's where my lawn-mower beer comes from about 3% abv.

this is what I have done, but my first runnings were a 9% barley wine

the second gyle was an Irish red at 3%. still has plenty of flavor, but I'm not happy with the taste. I blame that on my recipe and the caramel/crystal that I used in capping, will cap it differently next time.

I'm about to make a 2.5% Tafelbier. Next week I think. The recipe comes from zymurgy. Search it out if you're interested.

I've got that same one ready to go. I've got the grains, I just need the time to free up a fermenter and brew.

I just brewed Reaper's Mild, 1.038. Came out to about 3.6%. I'm looking forward to tapping it

ktblunden said:
I've got that same one ready to go. I've got the grains, I just need the time to free up a fermenter and brew.

Nice. I did see where someone online has made it quite a few times and liked the results. It should be interesting for sure.

2.8-3.8 %ABV (per style)

I'm making a Berliner Weisse starting tonight. Not only is it an easy beer (no boil or short boil) but it's dirt cheap!!

Hops: none to 1 oz
Malt: 6-8 lb
Lactobacillus: Pennies (a handful of grain)
Yeast: US-05

And . . . if you only sour the mash (and boil for 10~15 min), there's no danger to your equipment!

Back