Dry Hopping a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RUNningonbrew

Reaction score
So I have a pale ale in a keg I carbed up with priming sugar, I also foolishy dry hopped with an ounce hop pellets, not in a tea ball or bag, i'm concerned i'm going to be pulling out hop pellets or clog the dip tube, should I transfer to another sealed corny keg via CO2 with gelatin finings? Or should I just let it sit in my fridge and let it settle out, i'm in no hurry to drink it. Thanks in advance.

So I have a pale ale in a keg I carbed up with priming sugar, I also foolishy dry hopped with an ounce hop pellets, not in a tea ball or bag, i'm concerned i'm going to be pulling out hop pellets or clog the dip tube, should I transfer to another sealed corny keg via CO2 with gelatin finings? Or should I just let it sit in my fridge and let it settle out, i'm in no hurry to drink it. Thanks in advance.

Well, I would think if your diptube is going to clog (the reason for the transfer), then you wouldn't be able to transfer out of it via the diptube.

I was thinking the same thing, do you think adding gelatin finings to the original keg will help?

I wouldn't bother with finings at this point. Just chill the keg down and let it sit for a few days, and all of the pellet mush will end up on the bottom. At that point your best bet would be to rack the beer off the hops to a fresh keg using a siphon...

Cheers!

At this point I would put a paper coffee filter on the end of the racking cane, and transfer the beer into a fermenter, rinse the keg off, and then transfer the beer back into the keg. Next time, try dry hopping in the keg with WHOLE hops in a bag (nylon 5-gal strainer bag from Home Depot). Works perfectly every time. Read this. And no gelatine.

Latest posts

Back