Yet another backsweetening thread (sorry)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACarver

Reaction score
I recently just just dumped my last 2 gal batch of bottled cider after realizing that non-fermentable sugars suck (in my opinion, and I used Splenda). I just can't get over that chemical flavored sweetness.

So I have decided that this time I will try again and pasteurize after backsweetening with some good ol'fashion apple juice concentrate and possibly some brown sugar.

The question I have is approximately how much concentrate will I need to make a 2 gal batch up to the sweetness level of... say...a Woodchuck Amber? I know that it is a test as you go and then stop procedure, but just wanted to roughly know so I know how much to pick up.

Secondly, do I have to worry about any preservatives in the concentrate such as sorbate? Is it hard to find some without (never really looked I guess)?

Thanks again guys and sorry for another backsweetening thread.

I would add one, taste, and add more as needed. Woodchuck is pretty sweet so you'll probably add a number of cans. Once the desired sweetness has been reached add another 0.002-0.003 SG points of concentrate for carbonation.

db hokie gave me this formula

You calculate your points per pound. Sucrose is 46. So
points*pounds
For one pound 46*1
(ppg*poundsused)/volume*.001
(46/volume)*.001= points added to sg

The concentrate I use has 27 grams sugar / can or 5.1 0z

5.1 oz / 16 oz / lb = .31875

46 points / 2 gallon = 23 * .31875 lbs = 7.33125

7.33125 * .001 = .0073

So basically in your 2 gal recipe every can should raise SG .0073

Woodchuck is quite sweet, I would guess 1.025?

If you are fermented dry at .996 you will need ... 1.025 - .998 = .029 / .0073 = 3.97 cans

Great info, thanks

Any thoughts on preservatives in the concentrate?

Back