Composting Leftovers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msarro

Reaction score
Just curious - I keep a compost bin. Is there any issue with composting spent grain/hops/trub?

No issue with putting the spent grain in there. If you don't have any dogs, then its safe to toss the hop trub in too.

My brew buddy and I toss all our spent grain into his compost bins every brew-day. Seems to break down really well and makes even better soil.

Nope! Awesome for composting. Just be aware, the grain reeks to high heaven for a day or so if its warm & moist. (Sour mash, anyone?)

Also, if you have a dog, keep it away from hops - HIGHLY toxic to some breeds.

Nope! Awesome for composting. Just be aware, the grain reeks to high heaven for a day or so if its warm & moist. (Sour mash, anyone?)

Also, if you have a dog, keep it away from hops - HIGHLY toxic to some breeds.

The compost heap is enclosed, though I'm sure some drippings will be out there. Just to be safe I may keep them out though - I have a greyhound, and they don't have the most mass to spread something across should he happen to get ahold of it. Grain it is! :)

Toss them in but also add some shredded leaves or other brown material and you won't have the stink problem.

I think this stuff makes great fertilizer. I dump it right on my hop plants and right on my garden.

I dig a hole in my compost pile and bury the spent grains, then cover it back up. I mix in leaves or very dried brown grass (not green) if I have any, and dump the kitchen compost bucket into it before covering it up. It breaks down completely over a few weeks.

I don't put hops in the compost anymore. They take forever to break down and I do have a dog.

My compost pile will attract rats sometimes. I keep a pellet gun by the back door for target practice. Dead rats go into the trash can though, not back into the compost.

Back