10 gallon thunderstruck butternut squash breew day pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeantownR6

Reaction score
brewed up 10 gallons of thunderstruck but with butternut squash. though i would share some pics.

squash hot out the oven

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

fresh out of the oven 1 hour at 350 degrees. i started with 7.5 lbs but doesn't look like its that much.

squash and grains

recirculating the mash

wort chiller

picked up a cool little gadget at my lhbs to airate the wort, on the end of the hose

was just short of 10 gallons cause my dip tube is not low enough. im going to keg 1/2 and open tap around haloween and bottle the other half for turkey day!

Just curious, how much heat loss do you get when you recirculate your mash? Do you apply low heat while recirculating?

this was the first time i recirculated. i hit my mash temp of 158, but it started dropping quickly. i put the burner on real low and didn't heat back up. i was down to 150 and turned the heat up more, it took a little trial and error but was able to dial it in. got back up to my mash temp at roughly 30 minutes into the mash. i didn't use a false bottom, just braided line. no scorthing of the keg, just don't crank the heat. apply little heat slowly until you see the temp starting to rise, use patience.

I'm still new at brewing and have done a few extract brews, can you explain to me what is happening and how to make one of these setups?

Back