Final Recipe for All Amarillo IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJadedDog

AFK ATM
Reaction score
Well, after some tweaking I think I have my final recipe ready to go, let me know what you think:

7 lbs light DME
1lb Crytal 60 for steeping

2oz Amarillo (8%AA) for 60 minutes
1.25 oz Amarillo for 15 minutes
1.25oz Amarillo for 5 minutes
.5oz for 1 minute

OG should be around 1.070ish
IBUS around 66

I went easy on the specialty grains since this is an IPA and it's really all about the hops. I'm a little worried it will be too light in color (SRM of 8.7 I think) but we'll see. You guys have any thoughts?

If it turns out well I'll add it to the recipator.

Extract brews typically end up darker no? I think your SRM will end up just fine.

No dry hopping though?

Light color is fine for an IPA; I just had Dude's Pliny (WONDERFUL beer), it was a very pale golden color. I'd be inclined to do a late addition with at least half of the extract to increase your hops utilization and keep the color as light as possible. IPAs don't need to be dark, and in fact I think they look better when they are light (except my red IPA).

ill.literate said:
No dry hopping though?

I thought about dry hopping, but I like my IPAs on the milder side as I'm not a huge hop head. I think 66-70 IBUs will just about do it for me. I can always dry hop when I rack if the taste isn't bold enough upon sampling.

Two things. Dry-hopping won't add any bitterness, it'll just add hoppy deliciousness. :) Of course, if hoppy deliciousness is what you're trying to limit, then yes, the dry-hopping won't be for you.

Also, Stone IPA is really pale, like maybe only about 5 SRM or so, so I wouldn't worry about that. I usually try not to think about the color of my beers too much, as I know I won't necessarily be coming too close. That's the nice thing about making really dark beer: no one can tell the difference between 40 SRM and 50 SRM. ;)

TheJadedDog said:
I thought about dry hopping, but I like my IPAs on the milder side as I'm not a huge hop head. I think 66-70 IBUs will just about do it for me. I can always dry hop when I rack if the taste isn't bold enough upon sampling.

Makes sense :)

My first IPA is dry hopping right now.

Cripes, four more weeks is a long time to wait!

Well, after some tweaking I think I have my final recipe ready to go, let me know what you think:

7 lbs light DME
I can usually buy malt in 6 lbs. or 3.2 lbs. Any thougths on doing this with 6.4 lbs of light LME?

It doesn't convert that way. 7 pounds light dry malt extract is equal to 8.5 pounds of liquid extract. You could go up to 9.2 pounds of extract, if you have to buy it like that. That would still give you an OG of 1.068ish.

I would buy 6lbs LME and buy 2lbs DME. I think that should get you to the same point.

My personal preference would be to add the hops later in the boil so it is less bitter and has more flavor/aroma. I am actually doing something pretty similar this coming weekend, I think.

Back