Help me round out my Oktoberfest selection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heywolfie1015

Reaction score
SWMBO and I are throwing an Oktoberfest party on Oct. 16th (a little late, I know) and I need a fifth beer for the lineup. I will be out of the country from August 27-September 10, so I'm trying to get everything done now. Here is what I have so far:

Octoberfest-style ale (brewing tomorrow)
American Pale Ale (just kegged tonight)
Porter (kegging next weekend)
Belgian Wit (brewing on the 21st; kegging after I get back)

So, how would you round this out?

A Weizen but a Dunkelweizen.
Once October rolls around thats the Weizen that I want to be drinking.

Dopplebock????????

Maybe for next Octoberfest but 8 weeks isnt near enough time for one.

I'd go Munich Helles. If you start now you can have it kegged just in time.

You'll need some big 1L glass mugs to drink it out of too.
+1 If your Oktoberfest is a standard/BJCP O-fest then you could just call the Helles a 'Tent Beer' since many of the beers actually served in O-fest tents is more like a Helles.

+1 on any wheat beer. Southern Germans frickin' *love* wheat beers... or at least, they did the last time I was there. :)

Also, what an awesome idea for a party! SWMBO would love it!!! Her drunken friends would love it 10X more!!!!!

We'll have to do it next year, though... my limited equipment couldn't brew up enough beer in time. :(

Also, what an awesome idea for a party! SWMBO would love it!!! Her drunken friends would love it 10X more!!!!!

We'll have to do it next year, though... my limited equipment couldn't brew up enough beer in time. :(

Yeah, the genesis was a surprise birthday party she and my friends threw for me last year. Since my birthday is in October and they know I love beer, it was Oktoberfest-themed. We had so much fun that we decided to make it an annual thing.

I only have two fermenters, so it's been a logistical challenge. Having the APA and porter almost done helps, and getting the O-fest and wits going in the short term will also help.

I like everybody's suggestions for a true German weizen. I've been trying to balance interesting beers with easily-accessible ones, so that just might do the trick. Also, the banana/clove thing will be dramatically different from the other four beers on tap. The hard choice now is between hefe and dunkel... Hmm, that's going to be a toughy.

Back