Mashtun Insulation Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nealperkins

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a B3 27 gallon mashtun that needs better insulation. I currently have the foil bubble wrap that seems to need attention every brew session.

There must be a better way!

I did see that Bobby M had used mineral wool and clad that in some sort of metal wrapping (complete with 3 closures). That looks very sweet. Dunno what kind of metal and closures that is?

I appreciate the ideas!

Get the mineral wool from McMaster - http://www.mcmaster.com/#9328k41/=66rtdl

Bobby just used a big piece of sheet aluminum - you can get that from ye olde home despot or a metal supply store

Wrap it on there tight with some ratcheting tie-downs and just rivet the aluminum sheets together with cold pull rivets then fill in the edges with caulk

polyurethane will melt if it gets too hot, thats the advantage to the mineral wool for direct fired MLTs, but that will work if there isn't too much fire about

polyurethane will melt if it gets too hot, thats the advantage to the mineral wool for direct fired MLTs, but that will work if there isn't too much fire about

These are 100% electrically heated brewing systems only, they rape us with propane prices in my area, propanes a bad word with my friends and fellow wiremen brewers.

I just picked up a surplus wool blanket for my sanke MLT for $20. The 62 X 80 inch blanket was large enough for at least 4 layers covering the sides of the keg. I'll report back with pics and temps after I use it this weekend.

Well, the solution is certain elegant - I wish I could do it. My system has the tippy dump option and the clearance from the kettle to the support arms would not allow such a thick blanket...pity!

I used this stuff on a 60L HDPE drum. If my estimates are correct, at 1" thick it provides the same or better insulation as the 10 gallon cooler everyone uses.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/116/3483/=66rzfw

I have this on my HLT, MT and BK... all electric.
Has worked great through 2 brews so far.
I use nylon straps to hold it in place and remove it for cleaning the vessels.

Ed

When your into 20 to 25 gallon range MLT capacity thicker insulation is required, 2" has worked best for our test mule HLT rigs we built so far. This with a all electric heating system.

When your into 20 to 25 gallon range MLT capacity thicker insulation is required, 2" has worked best for our test mule HLT rigs we built so far. This with a all electric heating system.

I'm not going to disagree, but 30 lbs of grain holds heat much better than 10 lbs of grain, regardless of the vessel.

Yes it's true more mass holds heat better but i'm rather tall with gaining the extra MLT volume. The heat difference from the bottom vs top of the MLT became a concern hence going with thicker insulation as a precaution, the buy once theory was applied.

Yes it's true more mass holds heat better but i'm rather tall with gaining the extra MLT volume. The heat difference from the bottom vs top of the MLT became a concern hence going with thicker insulation as a precaution, the buy once theory was applied.

Makes sense.

Back