question/ observation about bottling and carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
When I was bottling my beer the other day, I would fill a bottle, lay the cap on top and repeat the process until I had 12 full bottles, Then I would crimp the caps down. I noticed a few of the bottles " burped" while setting there with the caps laying on them. The cap actually lifted and dropped...is this normal or is it a sign of too much priming sugar ( 5 oz in a 5.5 gallon batch---51 bottles). I am asking because I just read the thread on NO carbonation after 3+ weeks. And I am trying to learn.

A little bit of CO2 is in the beer from fermentation in the carboy. it probably offgassed from the disturbance of dispensing the beer into the bottles. I'd be surprised if any CO2 was generated from the priming sugar that quickly.

I typically bottle about 12 like you said but I cap them all at once so I have not seen them "burp". I'm 99% sure that what you are seeing is gas being let off from the beer rather than CO2 being produced by the priming sugar+yeast. Similar to when you rack to a secondary and you see a lot of airlock acitivity immediately after. Dosen't really mean the yeast started up again but it's like shaking a pop can. (yeah it's pop not soda) Either way don't worry about it as it won't affect your final outcome.

I agree with the above comments. One question, though: you did wait to bottle until fermentation was all done, right? (For reference, my minimum times are one week primary, then two weeks secondary, then bottle.)

If not, I'd be sure to put the bottles somewhere easy to clean. And wear eye protection...

That has happened to me also every time I bottle. I pull 9 bottles at a time off the bottle tree fill them and lay the cap on them. Sometimes they burp also. Not all of them though. I don't think it is due to the priming sugar, that would be a quick reaction. I think it is the co2 released from bottling.
The first time it happened I got worried also.

I agree with the above comments. One question, though: you did wait to bottle until fermentation was all done, right? (For reference, my minimum times are one week primary, then two weeks secondary, then bottle.)

If not, I'd be sure to put the bottles somewhere easy to clean. And wear eye protection...

two weeks primary...one week secondary.

It was just CO2 releasing from the beer. Even though the beer isn't under pressure in your fermenter, some CO2 stays in suspension. When the beer is disturbed it releases. This is actually a good thing. The CO2 will help remove air from the bottles which will help prevent oxidation. :mug:

When I was bottling my beer the other day, I would fill a bottle, lay the cap on top and repeat the process until I had 12 full bottles, Then I would crimp the caps down. I noticed a few of the bottles " burped" while setting there with the caps laying on them. The cap actually lifted and dropped...is this normal or is it a sign of too much priming sugar ( 5 oz in a 5.5 gallon batch---51 bottles). I am asking because I just read the thread on NO carbonation after 3+ weeks. And I am trying to learn.

That is exactly WHY it is recomemnded to set them on top for a few minutes. What happens is that any co2 being formed will push out any oxygen still left in the head space. That way you won't oxydize the beer.

It is voiding out any excess O2.

THe reason someone doesn't have carbonation after 3 weeks has NOTHING to do with that...THe reason a person might not have carbonation at that time is because.......

The beer's not ready yet, that's it.

Guys, guys, guys...

When we say 3 weeks at 70 degrees, we say that that's usually the average minimum time it's going to take.

If if bottles aren't ready by then, then you just gotta wait some more.

I've had beers that have taken 6-8 weeks before they were all carbed up. My Belgian strong took 3 months.

You just have to have patience.

ALL beers will reach their level of carbonation eventually. In fact, it's possible (and proven by running the numbers in beersmith) to NOT add priming sugar and get minimal carbonation/style of a few volumes in time (in old brewing british brewing books they didn't add sugar to some ordinary bitters, and milds and relied on time and temp to do the work naturally.)

More info can be found here....Revvy's Blog, Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning.

But it all usually really boils down to the fact that, if not all bottles are carbed, then the batch isn't really ready yet....and will be...

I typically bottle about 12 like you said but I cap them all at once so I have not seen them "burp". I'm 99% sure that what you are seeing is gas being let off from the beer rather than CO2 being produced by the priming sugar+yeast.

actually in the amount of activity with swirling of the yeast and fresh sugar you ARE getting some fresh co2 produced, along with any already in solution.

By not "burping" the bottles you are running the risk of trapping air in the headspace. That COULD be an issue with oxidation down the line, possibly.

The way I have my process down, as outlined in here; https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/revvys-tips-bottler-first-time-otherwise-94812/, I now cap an entire case of beer at once instead of twelve, starting with the first ones filled and working to the last ones...they all spend about 15 minutes voiding co2 and o2.

Back