Star San foam a yeast killer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punk_rockin2001

Reaction score
I just switched to star san recently and read a lot about "don't fear the foam" although it still seems strange to me to have that foam in a lot of places you'd think it shouldn't be. Yesterday was the first time I used it to sanitize a carboy for primary and it had plenty of foam in it after I dumped it out. But no fear, right? I always pour my yeast in to the carboy and then pour the wort in. So after the yeast was poured in, it just chilled out in there w/all that foam for probably 1 min or more before I got the wort in. Since star san only takes 20 seconds to go to work is it possible that I at least damaged some of my yeast slurry while it was sitting on top of all that sanitizer? as a side note right now, 29 hours later, it is starting to show the first signs of fermentation. not even close to bubbling but the yeast is at least starting to gather on top now. Thats 3 times longer than its ever taken. From now on I think I'll mix the yeast in to the wort first, instead of pour it on the star san foam.

I dont forsee the foam as the culprit, then again I have never poured yeast directly into the foam alone.

I did the exact same thing. Poured the yeast in first.

I had explosive, foil-airlock-removing, make a mess of the carboy fermentation on both batches. SO I don't think you kill all the yeast, but I wouldn't doubt it does sanitize some.

B

Actually the problem is not the starsan, first fermentation can take up to 72 hours for the yeasties to start, it's called lag time.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-show-visible-signs-43635/

Secondly, what do you define as a "sign of fermentation?" I don't see you mentioning a gravity reading, so I'm going to assume that you, like 99% of the other "My beer's not fermenting" thread starters, are going by airlock bubbling NOT a hydrometer reading.

Get out of the idea of using "airlock bubbling" as a sign of fermentation, you have to realize that airlock activity is not an accurate indication of fermentation...an airlock is a vent for excess co2, nothing more...and half of my beers never bubble.

Read this...https://www.homebrewtalk.com/1217925-post3.html

The only way to truly know what is going on in your fermenter is with your hydrometer. Like I said here in my blog, which I encourage you to read, Think evaluation before action you sure as HELL wouldn't want a doctor to start cutting on you unless he used the proper diagnostic instuments like x-rays first, right? You wouldn't want him to just take a look in your eyes briefly and say "I'm cutting into your chest first thing in the morning." You would want them to use the right diagnostic tools before the slice and dice, right? You'd cry malpractice, I would hope, if they didn't say they were sending you for an MRI and other things before going in.....

but since it hasn't been 72 hours I wouldn't worry..ut don't rely on airlock bubbling....

Yeast are much more tolerant of low pH than bacteria.
It's one of their defense mechanisms.
Some breweries wash their yeast with dilute acids to kill
most of the bacteria while leaving most of the yeast unharmed.

Actually the problem is not the starsan, first fermentation can take up to 72 hours for the yeasties to start, it's called lag time.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-show-visible-signs-43635/

Secondly, what do you define as a "sign of fermentation?" I don't see you mentioning a gravity reading, so I'm going to assume that you, like 99% of the other "My beer's not fermenting" thread starters, are going by airlock bubbling NOT a hydrometer reading.

Get out of the idea of using "airlock bubbling" as a sign of fermentation, you have to realize that airlock activity is not an accurate indication of fermentation...an airlock is a vent for excess co2, nothing more...and half of my beers never bubble.

Read this...https://www.homebrewtalk.com/1217925-post3.html

The only way to truly know what is going on in your fermenter is with your hydrometer. Like I said here in my blog, which I encourage you to read, Think evaluation before action you sure as HELL wouldn't want a doctor to start cutting on you unless he used the proper diagnostic instuments like x-rays first, right? You wouldn't want him to just take a look in your eyes briefly and say "I'm cutting into your chest first thing in the morning." You would want them to use the right diagnostic tools before the slice and dice, right? You'd cry malpractice, I would hope, if they didn't say they were sending you for an MRI and other things before going in.....

but since it hasn't been 72 hours I wouldn't worry..ut don't rely on airlock bubbling....

Yikes, sorry revvy I didn't mean to offend anyone w/a "my beers not fermenting" thread. But I never said my beers not fermenting. I was just wondering how the star san would affect the yeast. Thanks for the info though!:mug:

Yikes, sorry revvy I didn't mean to offend anyone w/a "my beers not fermenting" thread. But I never said my beers not fermenting. I was just wondering how the star san would affect the yeast. Thanks for the info though!:mug:

You didn't offend, but you did say this...

as a side note right now, 29 hours later, it is starting to show the first signs of fermentation. not even close to bubbling but the yeast is at least starting to gather on top now.

That sets an alarm bell off form me, since so many new brewers put so much stock in the airlock...I've cut and pasted the same basic answer 4 times in the last hour) Since the alarm when off I didn't catch that you saw krausen......

So you know it's all good... :mug:

I dump yeast right on the foam in the Better Bottle all the time.

For instance, I dumped a slurry of Danstar Munich onto the star san foam Friday, then racked my wheat wort on top. Next morning, the krausen was up in the blowoff tube. It is still going nuts.

:rockin:

I"m starting to think I'm the only one that adds my yeast AFTER putting the wort in primary...

I"m starting to think I'm the only one that adds my yeast AFTER putting the wort in primary...

I do it the same way as you--for all two batches I've done. Okay, I'm still new at this. I don't think I aerated or mixed my first batch well enough. So, for my second batch, I filled carboy with cold tap water (just under 2 gallons) and transferred cooled wort into carboy, making sure to splash a lot. Insert stopper with finger over end, shake the crap out of it for about 1-minute. POUR some into my glass cylinder for an OG check. Add my yeast, proceed to shake the crap out of it for another 20 seconds and call it good.

Seems to have worked okay so far.:rockin:

No it doesn't you need to clean properly to get rid of wild yeast.

In the EU we do now also have to rinse after starsan, the regulations where changed a while ago.

Back