13 Gal. Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

centralpabrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got an awesome deal on a 13 gal. glass carboy, but man is it dirty. I have tried using oxyclean and hot water. Then I let it sit for 2 weeks and scrubbed as best as I could with a carboy brush and it helped, but there is still this ghost looking haze and what looks like water marks that I just cannot get rid of.
Any ideas what I can use get this stuff out.

Thanks

You could try some white vinegar or maybe even StarSan. I'm guessing that the white haze is some kind of a mineral deposit that the acid in the vinegar may dissolve. A bigger problem may be lifting that monster. You do realize that it will weigh something on the order of 120 lbs when it's full. I've had girlfriends that weighed less than that!

high acid toilet bowl cleaner like "the works" you get it at the dollar store. then of course you will have to get all the acid out of the carboy but it will remove all hard water scale. caution it has strong fumes this should be done outdoors if possible and do not breath the fumes any more than necessary to complete the task.

just remember, a couple of 6 gallon better bottles at $20 /per will cost WAY less than the repeated surgery to repair the lacerated tendons you can get from that beast.... be careful if you can't be wise.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I realize it will be very heavy when full. What I plan to do is build a crate and put wheels on it. I don't plan on lifting it when full.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I realize it will be very heavy when full. What I plan to do is build a crate and put wheels on it. I don't plan on lifting it when full.

I have one like that and haven't used it. If I use it I will put it where I plan to ferment and drain the wort into it. Leave it sit then drain it into kegs. My biggest concern is cleaning it. A 6.5 gallon one in hard to clean. Please report back how difficult it is to fool with.
I had a dead mouse in the bottom of mine:drunk:

I didn't even know they MADE 13 gallon carboys. I have a 7 and I felt lucky! I don't have any advice on the cleaning solutions other than what has already been discussed but if you don't have a pump - now might be the time to invest in one.

You can use the pump to move cleaning solution and everything else into and out of the carboy - that way you never have to lift it.

Back