protein rest in mash tun, than heat to mash temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hog2up

Reaction score
my first all grain brew this weekend. it calls for a protein rest at 122f for 15 minutes. so here's my question:

calculator says heat my 14quarts of water to 136F, then add my grains for a protein rest temp of 122F for 15 minutes. can i then just turn the heat on and stir as i bring the mash temp to 152F, where I leave it for 60 minutes in my igloo mash tun?

seems to me that makes more sense than heating part of the water to 122F for the rest, then adding remaining water at higher temperature to try and land at 152F for the mash.

Bavarian Dunkle weizen
Style: Weizen/Weissbier
Type: All Grain Calories: 164
Rating: 3.5 Boil Size: 6.35 Gal
IBU's: 10.17 Batch Size: 5.50 Gal
Color: 14.6 SRM Boil Time: 60 minutes
Preboil OG: 1.047
Estimated Actual
Brew Date: - 12/17/2012
OG: 1.050 1.050
FG: 1.013 1.013
ABV: 4.85 % 4.85 %
Efficiency: 70 % 71 %
Serve Date: 01/21/2013 / /

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp Estimated Actual
Primary 21 days @ 69.0°F 12/17/2012 12/17/2012
Bottle/Keg 14 days @ 38.0°F 01/07/2013 -

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Tim Gravity
5.00 lbs 43.29 % Rahr White Wheat 60 mins 1.038
3.30 lbs 28.57 % Rahr 2-Row 60 mins 1.035
8.00 ozs 4.33 % Briess Carapils 60 mins 1.034
1.75 lbs 15.15 % Caramunich III 60 mins 1.037
1.00 lbs 8.66 % Dark Wheat Malt 60 mins 1.038

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
0.60 ozs 8.72 Tettnang 60 mins 4.50
0.50 ozs 1.45 Tettnang 5 mins 4.50

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.0 pkg Hefeweizen Ale White Labs 0300

Additions
(none)

Mash Profile
Protein Rest 15 min @ 122.0°F
(Add 14.40 qt water @ 134.8°F)

Medium Body Infusion In 60 min @ 152.0°F
(Heat to 152.0°F over 10 mins)

Sparge
Batch Sparge 23.00 qt of 170.0°F water -collect wort over 30 mins

my first all grain brew this weekend. it calls for a protein rest at 122f for 30 minutes. so here's my question:

calculator says heat my 14quarts of water to 136F, then add my grains for a protein rest temp of 122F for 30 minutes. can i then just turn the heat on and stir as i bring the mash temp to 152F, where I leave it for 60 minutes in my igloo mash tun?

seems to me that makes more sense than heating part of the water to 122F for the rest, then adding remaining water at higher temperature to try and land at 152F for the mash.

First, why are you doing a protein rest, and why for 30 minutes? You may not want to do that, and especially if you have fully modified malt. Some recipes are faulty, and some aren't. But if you're new to AG brewing, you may want to have a more experienced brewer look at the recipe and the mash schedule because a 30 minute protein rest doesn't sound right.

anyway, you can direct fire to bring the mash up to the next step if you don't want to do it as an infusion.

Unless you're doing a BIAB, get some rice hulls!

Are you going to heat it up on the stove, and then pour it into the cooler? I'm confused on what you're asking.

What's a BIAB? And why rice hulls?

I'm just asking if I can add my grains to 136f water and rest and 122f for 15 minutes, then add heat to kettle and raise to 155f then pouring everything into my igloo mash tun to mash at 152f for 60 minutes?

Someone more experienced than me should really answer it... but really only the wheat and maybe the dark wheat need the protein rest. The rest of your grist should be fine in a standard infusion mash.

However, I have split out the adjuncts from my grist in the past and cereal mashed them separately, especially things like unhusked wheats, oats, etc. Then added the grains and liquid into my base mash when they are soft (mushy like oatmeal), strike and then start my mash timer. In calculating water, I subtract the water I need to just cover the grains for the cereal mash from the strike water volume for my whole mash. As you soak, you may need to add more water to keep the wheat covered... so measure as you go. Your strike water may need to come up or down a few degrees to hit the right temps. I might add a few handfulls of rice hulls just in case.

In measurements, I seem to get better extraction efficiency (and of course conversion) this way - and fewer stuck sparges. I am sure others may see things differently :). If you don't cereal mash, just let your mash time go to 90 or 120 minutes. You can check your gravity along the way until you are happy.

I would be very carefully trying to heat and dump a full mash at 152 degrees into a cooler. That stuff is heavy and HOT!

im adding 8-10oz of rice hulls. think i will separate the white wheat and strike that with 132F water and rest for 15 minutes at 122F. i will then mix that with rest of grain and strike water and mash at 152F for 60 minutes. based on this, i will revisit beersmith to calculate my different mash temps and correct strike water temp when merging them so i hit 152F mash temp of the combined mash.

Biab is "Brew In a Bag" its a different method of mashing where the grains are "In a Bag" makes it like a giant tea bag, sort of reduces the chance of a stuck sparge (which means clogged run off). rice hulls are used for the same purpose (with out the bag;))

"I'm just asking if I can add my grains to 136f water and rest and 122f for 15 minutes, then add heat to kettle and raise to 155f then pouring everything into my igloo mash tun to mash at 152f for 60 minutes?"

Yes, you can. By using a heated mash tun. You won't need to figure out how much water will need to be infused, to go from the prot. rest temp, to the conversion temp, to the mash out temp. You may want to consider doing a single base malt recipe, until you get to know how your equipment will perform and to get a process down. Before getting into recipes that require a little more work and expertise.

Latest posts

Back