No blow off tube...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_the_greek

Reaction score
Hi guys, thanks thus far for all the great advice. I'm more than a noob but with everyones help and advice I've got close to 30gallons bubbling away in my basement :p . My question this time is in regards to a hefeweizen I'm brewing. I wanted to do something really stupidly easy, so I picked up a brewers best kit and some 380 hefeweizen yeast (A white labs product). I made a big starter and everything went well. I forgot to get a blow off and won't be able to have one till tomorrow..... I've changed my airlock 5 times today so far!!!! Can I not seal my bucket lid to help relieve some of the pressure for when I go out tonight? Keep the lid on the bucket but just not snapped down is what I'm thinking. IM GETTING SICK OF CLEANING MY AIRLOCK EVERY HALF HOUR! HELP!.

Try making a small blow-off hose with a drilled bung and a siphon hose. You might be able to jam it in there good enough that it will hold, yet still let pressure out. Put the other end of the hose into a bucket of bleach water.

I think it'd be fine to unseal the bucket for a little while. With all that fermentation activity nothing nasty is going to reach the beer. Just keep it away from any pets. As soon as the activity subsides seal up the bucket and put the airlock back on. Then get a blowoff tube for next time.

I took all the parts out of my airlock ( the 3 piece kind) and attached my hose directly to the inside tube. Youll also want to cut the small plastic x on the bottom of the airlock. thats the part that goes in the bucket, that will assure that it dosent get clogged. it worked so good for me I just threw away all the parts I took out I.E the lid and the float.
hope that helps I would post picts but Im a dumb ass and cant seem to figure out how even with all your help.
JJ

I would do what Jaybird said but if you can't, just leave the lid on but not snapped down. I have done 4 brews with a lid that was so bad as far as sealing goes that you could lift the lid a 1/4 of an inch. All of them turned out fine.

quick update. Thanks for the advice so quick guys, I ended up cracking the seal and running down to a local hardware shop and picked up some 3/4" OD x 5/8" ID vinyl tubing. There were a few different approaches I could have gone tube size wise, this one fits over the center of the post in my airlock and enough wiggle that I can shove it down to the bottom of the post. OFF TO SWAP!

Back