Homebrewery Growth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OBSCZONER

Reaction score
Hey guys hows it going? We are actually having success with making a local name in our region and plan to upgrade to a 32 gal. Fermentor. So we plan to start brewing 30 gallon batches.

Ive used beer smith and hopville and all that but all the ibu %, and all those other technical terms confuse me for now. Can anybody help me with converting recipes from 5 gallon to thirty gallon including how the amount of yeast needed would change? I appreciate any input. This will hopefully help us start a wonderful journey

PS. Im not just another brewer who caught the bug and wants to start a brewery. This is a lifetime goal for me and my brother. Im going to be going back to college for a major in chemistry so i can go to brewmaster school.

Have a Great day and Thanks for the time!

You should really try to learn the ins and outs of IBU and grain percentages before jumping up so big. Explore beersmith a little bit more. Play around with a recipe, tweaking your grains and hops to understand how that affects hop utilization.

When you jump up to 30 gallon batches, you need to have a firm handle on these things as a screwed up batch hurts much more.

Also, have you read "How To Brew" by John Palmer? If not, pick it up. It's a great read.

Thank you. I agree with learning more before fully committing. however we have been brewing 5-6 5 gal batches of the same brew and having to bottle at different times. I thought it may be easier to just brew that amount in one tank rather then having all my tanks full of the same thing you know. Ill keep reading and learning. Thanks again

can somebody please answer my question? I appreciate the input above but it did not answer my question. I purchased the fermenter today. i have read up and for a 32 gallon barrel i can ferment 25 gallons of beer at a time. i have several recipes that i formulated, but the Question is how to convert a 5 gallon recipe to 25 gallon. would i just brew 5 batches at a time and combine them all in the fermenter or what? please help and dont just tell me i need to learn more

can somebody please answer my question? I appreciate the input above but it did not answer my question. I purchased the fermenter today. i have read up and for a 32 gallon barrel i can ferment 25 gallons of beer at a time. i have several recipes that i formulated, but the Question is how to convert a 5 gallon recipe to 25 gallon. would i just brew 5 batches at a time and combine them all in the fermenter or what? please help and dont just tell me i need to learn more

Wait, so you bought a 32 gallon fermenter but can still only brew 5 gallons at a time???? Brew day aside, any ideas on how you are going to move that volume of beer out of that fermenter or control the temperature of 32 gallons of fermenting wort?

The answer to your question is that scaling up is tricky. Some things you simply multiply by 5 to get from 5 gallons to 25 gallons (base grains for example).

Some things aren't that easy. For example hops, you would get one % of IBU utilization at 5 gallons and a totally different IBU utilization at 25 gallons causing your beer to be under-or over-hopped. Even if you have the calculations done correctly with a program like BeerSmith, there is no telling if your system is going to give you a similar utilization. You may have to ballpark it and see what you end up with.

I Totally Expect to have to experiment a few times before i get it right. as far as temperature control i have a totally insulated shed with air and heating and power n the whooe nine that i turned into my brewery. We are capable of brewing 15 gallons of wort at a time.

Ive used a few yeast pitching calcs but with yeast theres no way to tell what will happen so i will have to experiment with that.

You say that for the grain bill i can just multiply by five? I will take time to figure out the hop calculations and the yeast n all that good stuff. but im just trying to get the base idea for now.

Grain bill for 5 gallon batch x 5
Water - Would i multiply the amount of water just the best way it would fit into 25 gallons?

Thank you very much for the input im sure i could ask questions alot clearer so i appreciate your time

Seriously. Check out Beersmith. Doing the numbers for real on paper is going to be much harder than having the computer make adjustments for you. And there is still MUCH to learn.

Frankly, I'd keep on doing 5 or 10 gallon batches at least until you get to the point where you actually understand what's going on. THEN spend the $$ to upgrade. You've a ways to go.

I Totally Expect to have to experiment a few times before i get it right. as far as temperature control i have a totally insulated shed with air and heating and power n the whooe nine that i turned into my brewery. We are capable of brewing 15 gallons of wort at a time.

Ive used a few yeast pitching calcs but with yeast theres no way to tell what will happen so i will have to experiment with that.

You say that for the grain bill i can just multiply by five? I will take time to figure out the hop calculations and the yeast n all that good stuff. but im just trying to get the base idea for now.

Grain bill for 5 gallon batch x 5
Water - Would i multiply the amount of water just the best way it would fit into 25 gallons?

Thank you very much for the input im sure i could ask questions alot clearer so i appreciate your time

No...you said you can only brew 15 gallons, so you should scale it up for that, not 25 gallons.

Look, not to impugn your intelligence, but if you are getting hung up on this you might want to step back and get the math nailed down before you blow $200-300 on a recipe you can't brew on your system.

+1 to Homercidal's recommendation....

Back