Two stage fermentation-Kolsch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigloveystyle

Reaction score
I brewed a Kolsch two weeks ago yesterday, it was only my 5th batch of brew. The guy at the LHBS said I could just ferment in the primary with this one and it shouldn't be a problem usin single stage fermentation. The instructions said they recommend two stage fermentation. I guess I have yet to see a kit not recommend two stage but at any rate It has been two weeks now and I still have it in the primary. The 2 inch foam cap has not recessed at all yet. What are your thoughts on just leaving it in the primary?

I brewed a Kolsch two weeks ago yesterday, it was only my 5th batch of brew. The guy at the LHBS said I could just ferment in the primary with this one and it shouldn't be a problem usin single stage fermentation. The instructions said they recommend two stage fermentation. I guess I have yet to see a kit not recommend two stage but at any rate It has been two weeks now and I still have it in the primary. The 2 inch foam cap has not recessed at all yet. What are your thoughts on just leaving it in the primary?

Kolsch is really best when cold conditioned after primary in my opinion. After the FG is stable for at least a few days, I'd rack it to a carboy and cold condition for several weeks if possible. If not, it'll be ok just not as clean and crisp as a typical Kolsch.

In somewhat agreeing with yooper, if you do not have a secondary available you can certainly do some extended cold crashing/conditioning in your primary.

Alternatively, if you keg you can cold condition in your keg

Alternatively, you could bottle after terminal gravity is reached, carb it up for 3 weeks at 70 degrees and chill the entire batch for as long as you can stand it.

I have a secondary open right now but as far as temperature goes, the best I could do is around 60 degrees. I don't have the option to keg. The gravity has dropped one point in the last 4 days and so I was going to decide today whether I should move it or not.

My vote would be extended four week primary at 60 and even add some gelatin to help it clear that last week or two. Then you could bottle it and make sure it gets a nice high level of carbonation and then put the entire batch (all the bottles) in the fridge.

That is what I would do

I think I'm going to to with the month in primary, bottle it and get it cold for a few weeks. The cold won't effect the carbonation will it? The Kolsch yeasties will perform their final duties in the fridge without any problem? Or should I bottle it and put it in 60 degree temp for a week or two and then cool them down?

Back