5 gal brew rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-TH-

Reaction score
Edit: My rig has been updated since this post. See here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/5-gallon-brew-rig-now-diy-tippy-dump-207473/

Put this together about a year ago and have used it quite a bit. The cart was a freebee and the work surface top was $5 from Herman Miller. I recently added the front panel with propane control valves and piezo ignitor, which I have to say works pretty slick. Someday I hope to add another burner and turn it into a 10 gal rig, but for now this will work just fine.

During vorlauf...
DSC04253.JPG

Notice the little fold out arm to hold the vorlauf container...
DSC04254.JPG

Final runnings
DSC04262.JPG

After having looked at hundreds of examples of brew rigs, I have to say that this one is probably my favourite. I am interested to see the updated photos.

How do you go from brewpot to fermenter? For 5 gallon batches I just put the pot in my utility sink for a few soaks with last having ice in it. I tried my first 10 gallon batch last week and discovered that not to be practical. It worked but about broke my back heaving 10 gallons of scalding hot wort around.

I'm trying to come up with a design for a rig that will do 10 gallon batches and the cooling aspect is the dilemma at the moment. Immersion and plate chillers will work for getting the wort down quite a bit, but tap water here in central florida is around seventy five degrees so there is not a lot of extra gradient to work with. I am trying to avoid a pump system also. I am trying to formulate some type of slow drain through a copper coil in an ice bath. Sort of a reverse immersion chiller.

Edit: My rig has been updated since this post. See here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/5-gallon-brew-rig-now-diy-tippy-dump-207473/

Put this together about a year ago and have used it quite a bit. The cart was a freebee and the work surface top was $5 from Herman Miller. I recently added the front panel with propane control valves and piezo ignitor, which I have to say works pretty slick. Someday I hope to add another burner and turn it into a 10 gal rig, but for now this will work just fine.

During vorlauf...
DSC04253.JPG

Notice the little fold out arm to hold the vorlauf container...
DSC04254.JPG

Final runnings
DSC04262.JPG

Looks like the right amount of footprint I'd like to build.

Back