An 8 gal Keggle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Almighty

Reaction score
So I have limited space and limited desired quantity (5 gal batch max). I have a 15.5 keg that I received legally.

I was wondering if there would be any drawbacks from just cutting the keg around the circumference at the 8 gal mark. (enough boiling clearance for a 5 gal batch even with 90 min boils)

Cons
  • No handles but I can't see a reason for them anyways. If I want to add them later it is pretty simple (http://www.northchautauquahomebrewers.com/keg/hsbrew.htm).
  • Can't brew 10 gal batches (I don't have the fermenting/storage room for multiple carboys and would have to upgrade mash tun)
Pros
  • Takes less room to store (live in a condo)
  • Seems much easier to cut than building a jig
  • Less material to heat up
  • Easier to clean inside without normal keggle lip

I always appreciate some feedback before I go cut something up.

I would see if anyone wanted to trade you a 8 gallon brew kettle for that instead. I know if I had a brew pot and wanted a keg i would do the trade! Kegs are somewhat hard to find in some areas for some people.

You will have NO problem getting a good price for that keg around San Diego. You could probably trade for a march pump, then get yourself a good turkey fryer kit with an 8 gal kettle......

If you ever upgrade from there, you'll always have a use for the 8 gal kettle, but a chopped up keg loses it's resale value pretty quickly :)

[*]No handles but I can't see a reason for them anyways. If I want to add them later it is pretty simple (http://www.northchautauquahomebrewers.com/keg/hsbrew.htm).
I really think handles make life much easier when moving 6+ gallons around.

[*]Can't brew 10 gal batches (I don't have the fermenting/storage room for multiple carboys and would have to upgrade mash tun)

I used to think there was no way I'd ever want to brew more than a 5 gallon batch, but after only 2 brew sessions with my keggle, I'm already antsy to upgrade my mash tun so I can :).

I've still only done 5.5 gallon batches, but I love love love the extra room and lack of boil overs!

[*]Takes less room to store (live in a condo)

Use it to store stuff in.;)

[*]Seems much easier to cut than building a jig

I cut mine with a dremel. I used a wire with a pen on one end and attached the other end to the center of the keg to draw a perfect circle as a guide. Really easy!!!

[*]Less material to heat up

I don't think having more metal above the wort level will make much difference in heating time... might alter boil off rates maybe.

[*]Easier to clean inside without normal keggle lip

If you use a dremel, you can get really close to the edge and this lip would be minimal. I have a lip on mine because I made the hole the same size as an existing stainless lid from my other pot. (I'm currently using it to ferment in using that lid.)

:mug:

If you use a dremel, you can get really close to the edge and this lip would be minimal. I have a lip on mine because I made the hole the same size as an existing stainless lid from my other pot. (I'm currently using it to ferment in using that lid.)

:mug:

+1 to all the above, and especially to this point. If you don't make the hole too big, keeping it around 10", you will be able to take a regular stockpot lid and fit it in the top of the keg with a good seal. You can then use this for a fermenter later on down the road!

Thanks for the feedback. I'm currently building a cabinet to keep all my brewing equipment. So if it will fit the keggle full size then I will keep it as large as possible.

Do you guys have any good suggestions for trying to trade the keg for a kettle? (craigslist?)

Latest posts

Back