Pittsburgh/Western PA Group Buy #5

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Group buy #5 is CLOSED.

Same rules as set forth by Dand previously:

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ AND UNDERSTAND THE FOLLOWING: Please send an email to [email protected] with the following information...
~First & Last Name
~HBT Username
~Contact Number
~Address
~payment method - check/money order or Paypal
- Confirm Paypal® address is the same as email using or give your Paypal® Address.
If I do not receive this information you will not gain access to the spreadsheet. If you have participated in the last buy you will already have access.
(All of the above information will be kept private. I will only contact you by phone if something may be out of stock and I need to get a hold of you quickly. I will also use your city's to post to a list so everyone can see where people are located. This can be used to carpool or have someone close to you pick up your grain. You will have to make arrangements with that person. Again I will not share info accept the city. Let me know if you do not want that to be shared.)

Here's the deal:

1. We need to fill at least one pallet which is about 42 sacks. If we go over we need to get as close to 84 sacks to make the shipping reasonable throughout the second pallet.
2. Buyers will have to come pick up their bags at the drop off location (Pittsburgh, PA 15203). I will include the exact address when I send invoices
3. Payments will be accepted through PayPal® or bank/cashiers check/money order (paypal preferred) only because it is the easiest way to collect money from this many people. PayPal fee is approx. 4% extra.

When I get your info I'll send the price list and grain liist

If there is anything in the catalog that is not in the full bag or split bag that you would like please add it in the column on the first sheet using ID number and Malt Name. Please keep it uniform. I will go back in and add the estimated pricing as often as I can. Plan on $5-7 per sack shipping cost. This is already estimated into your total on the spreadsheet.
DO NOT EDIT ANYTHING BUT WHITE CELLS. THANK YOU.

We will use the same order sheet as the previous buy - I've rolled over open splits and sacks that didn't make it on the pallet.

After you have added your items to the sheet, feel free to post it to the thread to help stimulate the buy!

PAYMENTS:
Payments will be collected once we have secured 42 or 84 sacks dependent on interest. If you have issues with paying via PayPal® contact me. If you do not make payment within 1 week from the time invoices are sent with actual pricing, you risk forfeiting your right to buy your grain on this buy. If you can't make your payment within 1 week, please contact me. Do this out of courtesy for the group.

1. Buy will be Open
2. I will submit order for finalized pricing
3. Invoices will be sent
4. After all payments are received order will be placed
5. Will give everyone an ETA.
6. Pick up your grains and we all say cheers!

~Pickup address will be provided on invoices
~You, as the buyer, are responsible for picking up your grain or for making arrangements for someone else to pick it up for you.

Bring your invoice to the pick up location to help ease the process

FOR SPLIT SACKS:
Work out the details with your partners. Bring something to put your share in, weigh it out on site, and take your portion. Or, one of you picks up the whole sack and deal with the splitting on your own time. That’s your decision to make with you splitting partners.

~For reference a 5 gallon bucket, depending on the type of grain should hold about a half a sack of grain.

DONATIONS:The people who work these grain buys do a lot of back end work to make these buys go as smoothly as possible. If you would like to show your appreciation please feel free to leave a donation for them. The amount you donate will apply towards that persons grain tab.

ekoostikadam said:
How long does this usually take from start to finish?

It depends on how many people need grain, have to fill at least 1 pallet. (42 sacks) I've seen them take 3 weeks to fill, and I've seen them take 3 months to fill. I'd expect this one to fill fairly quickly, but you never can tell.

@ ekoostikadam - The last buy took about 2 months, from brewguyver's 1st post 12/6/12 to pick up 2/2/13.

Is this just for grain, or can I get a bag of extra light DME? I do partial mash for space reasons, so I use a lot of DME.

Not available yet - there were some delays in the price list. If folks don't mind the numbers being off for a few days I can release it (just do the math on your own).

All - the following splits are open:
5351 Victory 0.5
5360 Briess Caramel Malt 20L 0.25
5398 Special Roast Malt 0.5
5748 Golden Light DME 0.7
BD-MOPA Marris Otter 0.25
BD‐RSTB Roasted Barley 0.5
BM‐5347 Carapils Malt 0.75
BZ MUNH Munich light 0.5
BZ-DWHT 0.5
BZ-SPLT 0.5
BZ-WHT Pale Wheat 0.25
CM-RYEM Rye Malt 0.25
GB-ESB Pale Malt 0.75
GB-HONY Honey Malt 0.75
GP-FLOAT Flaked Oats 0.25
GW-C120 Crystal 120 0.5
GW-C40 Crystal 40 0.25
GW-C75 Crystal 75 0.75
TF OATM 0.25
TF-CRY45 Crystal Malt I 0.25
TF-DCRY85 Dark Crystal Malt I 0.5

Count me in.

See guidelines on the first post if you haven't already.

Could we add the new briess goldpils Vienna to the splits?

Done!

As an aside - does anyone in this group use oxygen eaters and/or Mylar bags? If it makes sense I can try and find a good discount source for those by the case and add them to the buy. I figure we would want 300 and 2000 cc absorbers and 1 gallon/5 gallon bags.

I am from south central PA. very interested. How many lbs is a sac? and what grains can i choose from.

I noticed that there is an option to have the grains milled for $0.05. p/lb on PDF. Is that an option for me? If so, how do I indicate that on the order form?

and canada malting wheat malt be added to the splits?

I'm in (first time)! email sent.

Is this a free-for-all on splitting sacks? Where do we buy from? (I guess more will come via email)

argyle said:
I noticed that there is an option to have the grains milled for $0.05. p/lb on PDF. Is that an option for me? If so, how do I indicate that on the order form?

and canada malting wheat malt be added to the splits?

We wouldn't be able to have the grain milled by the vendor - they'd have to mill a full sack and it'd be difficult to make sure that sack wasn't accidentally given to someone else.

If you remind folks close to pick-up day, I'm sure someone can mill a reasonable amount of grain for you.

Weezy said:
I'm in (first time)! email sent.

Is this a free-for-all on splitting sacks? Where do we buy from? (I guess more will come via email)

Mostly a free-for-all and first come first serve. However, only the closed splits will be purchased - open splits will roll to the next order. This goes for all splits. So it makes sense to coordinate with other folks, vs ordering and crossing your fingers.

FYI, NCM just emailed me that they are no longer doing the bulk pricing. to homebrewers. its now the flat fee -1.5 per bag if you are over 30. just an FYI.

If you remind folks close to pick-up day, I'm sure someone can mill a reasonable amount of grain for you.

That would be helpful. Guess I'll just post a request closer to the time since I don't know anyone.

brewguyver said:
Mostly a free-for-all and first come first serve. However, only the closed splits will be purchased - open splits will roll to the next order. This goes for all splits. So it makes sense to coordinate with other folks, vs ordering and crossing your fingers.

Ha, I just order and cross my fingers. That's why there is a special roast split on this buy, still waiting for someone to help me complete that split, for the last 2 buys. Doesn't anyone else use that in their brown ales?

Can we start another Maris Otter and pale malt?

(and I got in on the special roast...but we're still short)

FYI, NCM just emailed me that they are no longer doing the bulk pricing. to homebrewers. its now the flat fee -1.5 per bag if you are over 30. just an FYI.

What does this mean and how does it affect us?

Hey guys - Regarding the change in pricing from NCM:

I wanted to post this up here in effort to have each group buy participant thinking about how they are spending their money. I would like to send a message to NCM for the arbitrary price change. However I can't do it alone, nor do I have the time to coordinate an effort like this. I also can't ask you all to boycott, because I know that many can't meet the price locally.

I have created this thread to post comments if you want to attempt to hash out your thoughts on NCM's business decision.

Best,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back