Malfunctioning Airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone else has had this experience. I'm on my 4th brew now, and for whatever reason, I never see the bubbles in my airlock. There's water in the airlock to the fill line, and the beer is fermenting; foam and everything. And my last two beers turned out just fine [first one, not so much:)].

I just don't get it, and am wondering if it sounds like I should replace the airlock or if there's something that I'm missing. Thanks in advance.

There is no brewing law that requires your fermentor lid to be airtight. Yes it's nice to see the bubbles so you know fermentation has started, but it is not necessary. I have a couple of buckets that do not seal airtight and they still make great beer.

I'm curious if anyone else has had this experience. I'm on my 4th brew now, and for whatever reason, I never see the bubbles in my airlock. There's water in the airlock to the fill line, and the beer is fermenting; foam and everything. And my last two beers turned out just fine [first one, not so much:)].

I just don't get it, and am wondering if it sounds like I should replace the airlock or if there's something that I'm missing. Thanks in advance.

Time heals all lol.. you already know you have fermentation so RDWHAHB i have buckets that never seal and 2 years later i still look to see if it will mysteriously start sealing lol

Dang they make great beer so ill hold on to them lol

Back