My ongoing basement bar build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Progress is coming along again after a couple weeks off.. I spent countless hours over the last two weeks thinking and designing the trim on the front of my bar. After bugging my wife for two weeks for her opinion (she repeatably says "Whatever you want", which is really the best answer but I wanted some input). In the second picture you will see the drawling I made which is a blueprint for what I THINK I want to do, but I still haven't decided on the foot board yet and I'd love some feedback from you all. I have a couple options.

1) I could build a foot pad like the picture three below.. However, I worry people will tear up the trim with their shoes.

2) Or I could not install the Upside down Crown and I could put a stair tread on the top of the box structure. The stair treads are curved at the end and It would be less likely to break off.

I have another thing to think about. Should I run the foot board all the way across the bottom and put the pillars on top of the foot board. Or, should I have the pillars start from the bottom and cut the foot board pieces between each pillar.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Yesterday I went out and bought my Oak nominal wood pieces. I stained them today! I plan to cut and install tomorrow.

photo.JPG

photo(1).JPG

photo(2).JPG

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by foot pad so if my opinion makes no sense let me know. I assume you're meaning a place for people to place their feet while sitting at the bar. I've always liked the brass pipe looking foot rests. You can still have all of the beauty of the wood but also have the brass accent/functionality. Here's a link I found with what I'm talking about for sale:
http://www.kegworks.com/bar-rails-polished-brass-272

Yes by the foot pad I meant the bottom part of the bar where you put your foot. I didn't know what else to call it and that sounded fairly appropriate.. I kind of like the brass pipe, but I feel like all bars have that and I wanted to do something different and that brass pipe is really expensive too.

Also I put some of my trim on the front of the bar as you can see below.

bar 1.JPG

Looks awesome man! I wanted something different as well with my bar for a foot rest. My bar is very rustic, so a brass foot bar would look goofy. I ended up framing a foot rest at the appropriate height, covering it with cement board and using the slate that I used on the floor on the face of the foot rest and the tumbled travertine that I used on the back wall behind the bar on the top of the foot rest. Turned out great and is very functional. You could do something similar in matching oak as opposed to stone.

Here's a link, just scroll down about 1/2 way down the page:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/hoppos-e-brewery-build-283510/index2.html

Keep up the great work! Subbed! :mug:

Sorry, but I haven't done any work on the bar in the last couple weeks. I need to buy more trim and I can't decide on the Corbals to use... I am also worried any Corbals would look funny because I can't put corbals on the chest freezer size of the bar... I will update you in the next week or so.

Tim

For Christmas I got 5 sweet bar stools. No backs on them. The barstools should be fine as the foot rest will stick out about the same distance as the corbals.

MD-Dave--- I got the corbels from Osborne wood products in Georgia. Osbornewood.com You can find just about any corbel you want online. Also last week the whole basement flooded and everything is destroyed except the bar!!!! the concrete floor that the bar is sitting on thankfully is a little higher than the rest of the basement floor. I got amazingly lucky. But now I have to install new drywall, ceiling carpet etc... I plan on working this weekend and I will post pictures.

Trimmer said:
MD-Dave--- I got the corbels from Osborne wood products in Georgia. Osbornewood.com You can find just about any corbel you want online. Also last week the whole basement flooded and everything is destroyed except the bar!!!! the concrete floor that the bar is sitting on thankfully is a little higher than the rest of the basement floor. I got amazingly lucky. But now I have to install new drywall, ceiling carpet etc... I plan on working this weekend and I will post pictures.

Oh my god! I am do sorry to hear that. The beer gods seemed to be watching over the bar though. At least that is good. And thanks for the info on the corbels. I will look at them. I have some metal brackets holding it up right now.

Amazing build! Absolutely gorgeous! One question, how did you run your beer lines out of the chest freezer into your tower?

HomeBrewerB,

I build my bar around the chest freezer. The part top over the freezer had to be freestanding and could not connect with the bar because of the hinge. To do this I simply took the guts out of the top of the freezer, installed a custom fit piece of plywood on the inside of the chest freezer lid. Then I traced a 3/4" plywood on the top (outside) of the chest freezer, and then screwed them together. So my layers from bottom to top are like this... Insulation, 3/4" plywood, thin metal chest freezer, 3/4" plywood, another 3/4" plywood 3/8" plywood, 3/4" finished bar top red oak plywood.

Once that was done I simply took a hole saw and drilled through all the layers. The beer lines simply come up threw the hole and each beer line runs through it own copper pipe in an effort to keep the lines cool to prevent foaming...

Trimmer said:
HomeBrewerB,

I build my bar around the chest freezer. The part top over the freezer had to be freestanding and could not connect with the bar because of the hinge. To do this I simply took the guts out of the top of the freezer, installed a custom fit piece of plywood on the inside of the chest freezer lid. Then I traced a 3/4" plywood on the top (outside) of the chest freezer, and then screwed them together. So my layers from bottom to top are like this... Insulation, 3/4" plywood, thin metal chest freezer, 3/4" plywood, another 3/4" plywood 3/8" plywood, 3/4" finished bar top red oak plywood.

Once that was done I simply took a hole saw and drilled through all the layers. The beer lines simply come up threw the hole and each beer line runs through it own copper pipe in an effort to keep the lines cool to prevent foaming...

Wow! Sorry for the confusion but for the last part where you say you drill through all the layers, are you talkin about the metal chest freezer top too down into the freezer

Yes I drill though all the layers including the metal chest freezer lid that is about as thin as a piece of paper. no problems. I previously took out the insulation and plastic cover in the chest freezer.

bar.jpg

Looks great man! just be careful to not spill on the carpet....nock on wood ! cheers

Back