Philly area Homebrewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey there,

Does anybody know a good place to get CO2 bottles filled? I've decided to take the plunge and start kegging. I live in Chestnut Hill.

I go to Posen's in Blue Bell. $20 for a 5lb fill and $28 for my 20 pounder.

Keep in mind Posen's is cash only. But easy to get to from Chestnut Hill. Just go straight up 73 till you cross Wentz, and it's just past that intersection on the left, tucked in behind the shop on the street.

Yea you guys are getting ripped off, I pay $7 for a 5lb fill at JF Martin right under the Betsy Ross bridge on Richmond St. I'm going there today actually.

Doc's World of Beer in Andorra says they fill CO2 tanks. I haven't used them yet, as I'm still working through my $20 fill from Stone's Beverage (down in Fairmount) from 2011. Not sure if Doc's gives you back your own bottle. Stone's does an exchange and the empty you give them has to have a current hydro stamp.

That is actually a good way to get around a re-cert. I take a bottle that is about to expire to the welding store down in Chonsy, and they just swap the bottle for a new one. Don't have to worry about re-certifying the bottle. Costs a touch more, but cheaper than paying to recert the bottle.

Posen isn't cheap, but a hell of alot closer than the Betsy Ross Bridge! I may have to check out the place in Andorra. I'm on the other side of the park from there, always forget about it!

Anybody at the Barrel Brew Championship yesterday at Keystone Homebrew? What did you guys think? At the shop, we were really happy with the way the event turned out. Seemed like everybody had a great time. I was too busy working to really enjoy most of the food, beer, and fun. But, I did manage to meet some really great homebrewers from the local clubs.

milldoggy said:
I was there. Great time. The food was amazing.

Yeah, NaBrasa and Blue Dog both put out great spreads. I forget who was doing the smoked meats but I heard that was great too. Sooo much meat!

Stay safe during this annoying storm guys and gals. Keystone was open today but we left around 2. We had a surprising number of homebrewers come in today. Brewicane 2012!

milldoggy said:
Hope in honor of the storm, everyone brewed a hurrican malt liquour

Not making any Hurricane, but I did brew a Belgian Rye Saison yesterday. And, my 4Loco clone is almost done fermenting. Yup, I said 4Loco...

I had the smoked meats! :D

Finally got power back this morning. Unfortunatly, I missed the Stoney Creek cut off due to this stupid storm. Oh well. Racking a crapload of beer today. Dry hopping 10 gal of house pale, dry hopping double black IPA, kegging Oktoberfest, bottling our apple brandy barrel RIS (soured a bit, soooo nice), rack and add vanilla to our winter solstice clone, and possibly bottle either a scotch ale or a belgian strong. Not sure how much I'm looking to bite off today. Either way, it'll keep me busy.

Ha, that it does! I've just about got everything but the "bottle scotch or belgian strong" done. Going to let those two guys sit for at least another week or two. Scotch was done with some of that East Coast Yeast. Looking forward to how it comes out, then using that yeast for a barelywine to be brewed with my wife and BIL (from hawaii) while they are in town between christmas and new years.

dfess1 said:
I had the smoked meats! :D

Finally got power back this morning. Unfortunatly, I missed the Stoney Creek cut off due to this stupid storm. Oh well. Racking a crapload of beer today. Dry hopping 10 gal of house pale, dry hopping double black IPA, kegging Oktoberfest, bottling our apple brandy barrel RIS (soured a bit, soooo nice), rack and add vanilla to our winter solstice clone, and possibly bottle either a scotch ale or a belgian strong. Not sure how much I'm looking to bite off today. Either way, it'll keep me busy.

I don't think the Stoney Creek entries are actually getting picked up until Sunday. Call the store if you wanna drop stuff off today to see if they got picked up yet...

dfess1 said:
Ha, that it does! I've just about got everything but the "bottle scotch or belgian strong" done. Going to let those two guys sit for at least another week or two. Scotch was done with some of that East Coast Yeast. Looking forward to how it comes out, then using that yeast for a barelywine to be brewed with my wife and BIL (from hawaii) while they are in town between christmas and new years.

Go Fess go!

I don't think the Stoney Creek entries are actually getting picked up until Sunday. Call the store if you wanna drop stuff off today to see if they got picked up yet...

you had to register online, and that's closed though. I appreciate it. I will be up there banging down the door at 11 though! :D

From there I head to a members house where we have to pull our share of Soured IPA out of a barrel. Leave there and roll over to another guys house where we put 8 gal of a RIS into a fresh Heaven Hill Barrel back on Memorial Day. Then head home and bottle a crapload of beer! :D Good thing the Birds game is tomorrow night. ;)

PeckerWood said:
Hey, my name is Pete and I live in Langhorne, PA. I've been All-Grain Brewing for 2 years now and won a handful of awards doing it. I love competing and brewing on my days off. I currently do 2 x 10 gallon batches per brewday and keg all my beers with my 3-Tier Brewstand. I love anything with the name Blichmann on it and if I could sponsor any product, that would be it. I also bartend at PHL airport in Terminal F to help make flying more interesting. I meet a lot of homebrewers there!

Sitting at revive in terminal f right now

Hey I'm in Roxy. Any one in the area interested in setting up a brew day sometime soon? I have a huge side yard and would be happy to host.

I am brewing BIAB all grain.

I'm over on the other side of the park (flourtown ish area). I was looking to possibly brew tomorrow if you're interested. But i'll be doing it out of my driveway. ;) All depends on the weather tomorrow, and how much we drink tonight while assembling wooden beer crates.

I'm over on the other side of the park (flourtown ish area). I was looking to possibly brew tomorrow if you're interested. But i'll be doing it out of my driveway. ;) All depends on the weather tomorrow, and how much we drink tonight while assembling wooden beer crates.

I would love to join. However I need to pick up my grains from lordura's grain buy before I can brew (tomorrow at 8pm). If you want to brew at all next week I am pretty available.

I have got 3-4 gallon sized bags of home grown hallertau and fuggles that I need to use soon!

There is a verrrrry large chance I'll be brewing a doppelbock next week. I'll keep you posted!

Did you make these beer crates yourself?

I'm looking for 40 bucks. Takes almost two days to make them. you can buy them online, but after you figure in tax and shipping, you're over $45 buck a case. I thought this was a fair price.

Looks like I can pickup some of these wood cases when I go to work tomorrow. Excited to see them in person.

Hey Guys,

Just found this post and wanted to invite you guys to our Philly HBC meeting. We meet every third friday (next Fri) at Barrry's Homebrew Outlet 1447 N. American St. in Northern Liberties. We always have food and a ton of beer! We have a pretty big event coming up the second weekend in Feb that includes a chili cook off and spiced beer comp. Here's our website:

http://phillyhbc.org/

Hope you guys can come down and make it!

Peace,
Mac21

Anyone brewing this weekend? I've got the rig in "clean" mode right now (aka, crapload of PBW recircing). Hoping to be done cleaning in a little bit, then maybe knock out at least one brew today, and a few more this weekend.

On the docet:

10 gal Flemish Red
5 gal American Barleywine
8ish gal of Hopslam Clone
10 gal House Pale
6 gal of Eisbock base

That's a decent amount to try to get brewed on this nice weekend! Anyone else? Anyone interested in stopping by, the more the merrier.

dfess1 said:
Anyone brewing this weekend? I've got the rig in "clean" mode right now (aka, crapload of PBW recircing). Hoping to be done cleaning in a little bit, then maybe knock out at least one brew today, and a few more this weekend.

On the docet:

10 gal Flemish Red
5 gal American Barleywine
8ish gal of Hopslam Clone
10 gal House Pale
6 gal of Eisbock base

That's a decent amount to try to get brewed on this nice weekend! Anyone else? Anyone interested in stopping by, the more the merrier.

Jealous. I'm at the store all weekend and I still haven't built the frame for my new single tier system. Haven't had time to brew in forever. My last brew day was Hurricane Sandy day.

Latest posts

Back