Time for big boy software... So many choices!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been brewing for a couple years now, BIAB AG for the last ~year and use BrewPal for the iPhone. I like it, but I feel that I've sort of outgrown it. BrewPal does a lot for a phone app, but from what I've seen, there's many far better brewing programs out there. I've played around with the free trial version of BeerSmith (I don't think it was the newest version), and it seemed great. As far as the others, no clue. I'm wondering what other brewers use and what they think of their software. Not sure if it matters anymore these days, but as far as operating systems I'm running Mac OS X 10.7.3

I haven't used anything else really but I love beersmith. One of the best purchases I've made.

I've used beersmith and promash (I don't think the latter is available for mac). Both are great, but beersmith is better. Better integrated, more calculators, more intuitive. Both have a pretty steep learning curve, given the extreme amount of control and detail they go into.

Bryan

The trial version seemed like it was solid. Question, I know with BS you input your equipment, does it have settings for BIAB type setup?

Yes, there are BIAB setups that can be used, copied, and adjusted. I am still learning, but the more I use BeerSmith the more I like it.

Been using BeerSmith since version 1.4 (I believe) and nothing else has come close enough to replace it. I've tried others but once you get past the learning curve with BeerSmith, it's all good.

Awesome. Thanks. I'm not really worried about the learning curve, I'm guessing it cuz there's so much more you can do with it.
...... once you get past the learning curve with BeerSmith, it's all good.

If I get confused, I'll just harass you about it or post my silly questions here. :mug:
The free trial I had was on a computer that has now passed away, but the trial was already spent. Luckily, I got the trial of BS2 downloaded. I think I'll run my next few recipes on that and see how I like it. Just the interface seems way more involved than BrewPal, I'm looking forward to having so many options. :tank:

I just used the BIAB setting last night and got myself what I hope to be a nice two gallon Barleywine for later this fall/winter.

Beersmith 2.0 really streamlined the learning curve. Plus the vids are excellent. Today I am really diggin' the new 2.1 mash and boil timers.

6-1-2012 2-06-10 PM.jpg

I plan to give the timers in BeerSmith 2.1 a shot with my next batch. I'll just run it on my Windows [8] tablet when brewing (at my buddy's place). With any luck at all I'll be brewing at a new place following that.

Since you appear to be invested in the Apple infrastructure, you might take a look at BeerAlchemy because it can sync with BeerAlchemy Touch on iOS.

Since the OP appears to have an iOS device, I thought being able to sync to it might be perceived a plus.

So, Beer Alchemy is more iOS friendly? I have an old iPhone (3Gs) and a MacBook Air.... I'm not really committed to the phone, I may get a 5 when it comes out, I may give an Android at try, but I am committed as far as a computer. I'm a writer, so I've always used Macs.
I'm liking how BS2 looks, and I'm gonna use it tomorrow to brew a pale ale, but I'll take a look at Beer Alchemy, also. Looks like they have a free trial, I'll check it out. Thanks for the heads up. :mug:

Fwiw I used beer alchemy for years then switched to beer smith when it came out in Mac. Beer smith I more powerful on the computer but doesn't have the iOS capability yet. It almost has too many options to customize haha but it really is a powerful brewing tool.

NordeastBrewer77 said:
So, Beer Alchemy is more iOS friendly?

To be accurate, BeerAlchemy (OS X) can sync with BeerAlchemy Touch (iOS). AFAIK either one can be standalone.

To be accurate, BeerAlchemy (OS X) can sync with BeerAlchemy Touch (iOS). AFAIK either one can be standalone.

Gotcha. Beer Alchemy seems pretty nice, a lot less frustrating than this BS2 trial I'm playing with. I'm currently doing stovetop BIAB using my 7 gal kettle (I have a 5 gal and 3 gal kettle also, so I can split mashes if I need to mash a lot of grain and 'sparge' in another vessel). I basically follow the process in Deathbrewer's sticky, but most batches are AG. I 'dunk' sparge at the moment, but I do plan on upgrading to a picnic cooler soon and either going full AG or doing single vessel BIAB. BS2 has settings for single vessel BIAB, or partial mash BIAB, but nothing that seems exactly like what I'm doing currently.
I guess this is the 'learning curve' you guys were talking about..... any suggestions as to how to keep it simple for my first recipe? I'm basically doing a Mirror Pond clone. 5.25 gal into the fermenter. 9# 2-row, .75# c-80, .12# c-pils. BIAB. 60 min sacch rest @ ~152, 90 min boil. I can mash ~10 # in a paint strainer in either my 5 or 7 gal kettle and sparge in the other. I'm probably missing something obvious, but.... :mug:

If you like Beer Alchemy, I would wait to purchase it until the next version comes out. I read somewhere about a new version coming out, but it won't be an upgrade. It will be a whole new program to go with Lion and Mountain Lion OS. The new one won't work with the old either.
BS2 will be coming out with a mobile app sometime in the future according to Brad. If you like the idea of having a mobile version, I would stay with BS2 and wait for it to come out.

the more I use BeerSmith the more I like it.

I'm starting to feel that way too. Just playing around with it for the last little bit is making it seem easier and better. I've got my recipe, process, and equip into the software, and the numbers seem to match to when I've brewed this beer before. There's SO many more variables that it lets you put in, that I was getting frustrated with what to do! I think I'm starting to get it. Off to Midwest to get my ingredients! I'll brew tomorrow, and hopefully will like BS2 even more.
944, I downloaded the free trial of Beer Alchemy too. I'll definitely give it a try too before deciding, but the more I play around with BS2, the more I think it might be what I need.

So far so good.... I just doughed in on my pale ale. Nailed strike temp on the button, I love the accuracy so far. BrewPal gave instructions to heat to 163, BS2 said 163.7, I heated to ~164 and threw in my bag o' grains, stirred, checked temp and I was at ~152. Sparge water's heating, starter's ready to go and I'm about to RDW and expect a smooth brew day.......

.... hit my gravity numbers within a couple points, pre and post boil. Ended up with a bit of leftover wort after getting 5 and a quarter into the fermenter, but I think I have to re do my boil off rate due to the humidity. I had a little wort leftover last brew too. All and all I really like how BS2 worked on the brew day. The timers were nice, I didn't have to keep checking the clock.

I've been using Beer Alchemy for a few years. Purchased before Beer Smith was available for the Mac. Works great for my needs. If i need a more complicated software I'll look into Beer Smith.

I've been using Beer Alchemy for a few years. Purchased before Beer Smith was available for the Mac. Works great for my needs. If i need a more complicated software I'll look into Beer Smith.

I DLed the free trial of Beer Alchemy, and I am gonna run a brew on it, but it seems not much more complex than the BrewPal I'd been using. Complex is what I want, BrewPal is great, especially for an app, I'd been using it for over a year and really like it, but I want software that had more to it.
I really like BS2, after using it on a batch over the weekend I'm really impressed. Like I said, I plan on running my next batch through Beer Alchemy to see what I really think of it, but at the moment I'm leaning towards BerrSmith.

I downloaded Homebrew Formulator for free, and have also tried all of the available Mac trials; I always come back to HF. Although it is no longer supported, the data base (which comes fully populated) is completely update-able. Very easy to use.

Do a search for Homebrew Formulator, there are still a few places to D/L it

Back