Secondary Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattyc88

Reaction score
Hey guys, I know a lot of you don't even use a Secondary, but i'm trying both ways to see which way I like more.

However, my question is my primary is a 6 gallon glass carboy, and my secondary is a 6 gallon glass carboy... Is that okay? Or is that going to be too much airspace? I'd say it's about 5/6 filled with beer the rest is airspace.

Should I go from that now straight to bottling and next time use a 5 gallon carboy?

If you have a co2 bottle, purge before transfer. If not, I would transfer directly after active primary fermentation is complete, so the still fermenting beer will produce CO2 to purge the head space.

It's already transferred into the secondary in a 6 gallon carboy as of like 30 minutes ago, I noticed all the airspace and was wondering if it will be okay - or if I should just take it outa the secondary tonight and bottle it ?

Should be fine. Fermented beer has about 1 part CO2 anyway, and will blanket itself from the oxygen (if it hasnt already through offgassing due to the agitation of the transfer)

Latest posts

Back