after taste of multiple batches off flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimGleason

Reaction score
Hello,

I have made 3 extract brews and the aftertaste for all of them is similar. The flavor can be described as slightly bitter almost dry tasting. it is not terrible and I still enjoy the beer but would prefer that it not be their. Perhaps it is my water that is doing it? Is this a common problem for other brewers? and if anyone can identify this problem how Can i prevent it? Thanks for anyone that can offer any comments.

I agree with mrduna the problem could be from fermenting at too high of a temp. Try getting a hand on your fermenting temps and see if this corrects the problem. Also with extract, if the extract is old you may get some off flavors there. If you are geting kits from the top suppliers online they have a good turnover so their supplies tend to be fresher. Good luck and let us know how the next batch turns out.

I feel that you are correct. My beer ferments out in 2-3 days it seems and goes crazy the whole way through. Does fermenting to rapidly produce off flavors? I try to ferment at around 66 room temperature but have never thought to check the temperature of the wort. What should my goal temperature be for ales in general..thought 66 or so?

TimGleason said:
I feel that you are correct. My beer ferments out in 2-3 days it seems and goes crazy the whole way through. Does fermenting to rapidly produce off flavors? I try to ferment at around 66 room temperature but have never thought to check the temperature of the wort. What should my goal temperature be for ales in general..thought 66 or so?

The fermentation its self produces heat so at 60 ambient temp your wort is a few degrees over 70 more than likely. Most ale yeast start to produce off flavors over 68 or 70. You want to be in the 65 range. Put your fermenter in a tub of water with a couple frozen 2 liters and change out the two liters once a day for the first week or two and this will keep the fermentor cool enough to not produce any off flavors due to temp. You will probably see a big difference!

Thank you for the explanation. I will take advantage of your tip in the future. Unfortunately I just bottled a batch, have 1 in the primary, and one in the secondary that I fermented very similarly. Oh well, it is still very drinkable and I will have something to look forward to for my next batch and improving upon.

TimGleason said:
Thank you for the explanation. I will take advantage of your tip in the future. Unfortunately I just bottled a batch, have 1 in the primary, and one in the secondary that I fermented very similarly. Oh well, it is still very drinkable and I will have something to look forward to for my next batch and improving upon.

Before I did the fermentor in water method I had the same kind of thing going on. It wasn't bad by any standards but noticeable. But you have made beer good enough to fuel your interest in the hobby as I did so to that I say cheers!

Back