Tell me if you do this!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdavisii

Reaction score
Ok so there is a beer store about a mile from my place that LITERALLY has in excess of 200 to 300 different types of beer if not more. The first time i went in I was in awe like a kid in a candy store. The people at this liquor store which i will call the beer mecca asked me if i needed any help at least 3 times. I always try a couple new brews everytime i go in there but i enjoy.....well......beer shopping. I always spend a good 45minutes just looking. I feel like a chic in a mall or something. So let me know if i seriously have a problem or if you guys do this too.

You're a freak!!! Is this a BevMo or a Specks? I've evaluated 6-pack choices more thoroughly than job offers, apartments and auto purchases.

:mug:

I can top you. My local beer/wine store is LITERALLY a stone's throw away from me. Less than a block. They have a 70 foot wall of refridgerator doors facing almost as many feet of warm-stocked shelves. I think they basically carry every single beer their distributors can get them.

kvh

oh, and yes, I stare forever. They keep asking me if I want help. I tell them I've already tried them all and i can't decide which one to get.

kvh

The place here in stl is lukas liquor. their cold beer selection alone is probably 150 feet. Then they have the "good" beer singles, 6 packs, cases of everything from around the world.

sounds awesome. i need to find a new place. every time i find one, i go on a binge and try everything in the store. rarely do they update their stock at certain places. there are ten million places in this area, but i'm on my bicycle right now, which makes it kinda tough. i'm rebuilding my carb tonight, so hopefully i'll have a truck and then i can go brew-hunting again!

One of my good friends works at one of the very large, very extensive, liquor/beer/wine stores here in town and brings over new stuff all the time.

That employee discount comes in handy I tell ya.

:rockin:

Thanks for posting this. I never knew about Lucas Liquors and I lived in Balwin last year!

I just got back and I must admit that place is amazing! Thank god the wife wasn't with me cause I went crazy and ended up buying 2 Make Your Own 6 packs, a 6pack of O'Fallon's 5day IPA, and another 5 or 6 22oz's that I've never tried.

Oh yeah I do that too..... It's even worse for me though, because around here we don't have liquor stores with that big of selections. I don't think people in this town know that anything else besides bud light exists....

Wow, it's good to hear this. I do the exact same thing. It pisses the GF off to no end! She can't seem to understand why I like to take my time looking at beer. It's literally... shopping for men.
-Ben

Done it...but not for a long time. The last time I was in a "beer mecca" was when I was in college - there was a "Liquor Outlet" or something like that nearby. I sure wish I knew more about good beer when I was in college...

It takes me less than 10 minutes to make up my mind at any of the local stores here. One place has an OK selection of 22 oz micros.

Oh hell yeah. Never less than 30 minutes. :cross:

Friar Tuck in Springfield BTW. I know they have them in Peoria, Bloomington and Champaign as well, but the one in Spfld rox. :rockin:

Ize

homebrewer_99 said:
Guilty.

I pick up a couple of 6ers then continue "shopping". When I come across another brew I like or would like to try I put one of the others back... decisions, decisions...:D

Me too. But, usually, I "forget" to put one of the others back.

Even worse for me than spending countless time looking at all the brews is the fact that I have never left a beer store without dropping a hundred bucks or more...yes, it's definitely a candy store for me...

There's a place about a half hour away from me that sells close to 800 brews.

Is it bad to bring your kids with you to a BevMo? So many choices that I simply point them to the area of beers that I like and ask them for help. Otherwise I spend a good hour in the store. Sadly, I never leave without drooling upon myself.

I went in to pick up one bottle of Kolsch tonight and was there for 20 minutes, I spent 18 minutes looking at beers and didn't even decide that I wanted any of them.

There was a store in Edinburgh (which apparenlty is no more) that I used to go to once a week. Would have spent about 30min picking out 10 beers. "Nursing a semi" would have been a good description of my state of mind during my visit!

OK I have my liquor store programed into my cell phone and when I call or go in they know me by name. and yes they to have a VERY good almost impossable to choose from selection. Ya I go it bad too... aint it GREAT!!!!:rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

Goddamnit I am glad I am not the only one who does that. I spend so much time looking at beer at the Whip-in that they start looking at me funny. I end up spending $50 or more by the time I get out of there.

I go into beer stores with my partner and spend 30 minutes looking around and drooling!! My partner says "see anything you like?" (in other words hurry up I'm bored) and I'm like wellll YESSSSS - everything :D

I miss it. Over here, unless I go to a bigger city, the gas stations and grocery stores are my only options, and they tend to carry 10-15 different beers at the most. Usually 3 or 4 are some sort of bitburger... Can't wait to hit some up again though. Spent about 30 minutes in the beer store in Amsterdam a few weeks back.

Hey Seefresh,
where in Germany are you? Can you get to Eindhoven easily? There's a place (possibly a chain) called " 't Drankurgels" (the 't is abbreviated from 'Het' = dutch 'the') and they have loads and loads of belgian beers, and the glasses to go with them.....
can give you directions to the one in Eindhoven if it helps..
K

3 hours 3 minutes from eindhoven (according to mapquest). Thanks for the suggestion, but I can be in Amsterdam in 4 hours flat so'd probably just go up there!!! I LOVE Amsterdam!

My distributor only has a small wall of micros and imports, but I still look like a deer in headlights when I see it. "Ooooh, they have ________! And ______! Dammit! What do I get?"

kvh said:
I can top you. My local beer/wine store is LITERALLY a stone's throw away from me. Less than a block. They have a 70 foot wall of refridgerator doors facing almost as many feet of warm-stocked shelves. I think they basically carry every single beer their distributors can get them.

kvh

Sounds like Total Discount Liquors in Eldersberg

Guilty...but I'm trying to slow down

My fridge is FULL of beer I need to drink and I've got about 6 cases of homebrew in my brewcloset...

I was thinking of brewing up the blue moon clone but I'm sitting on quite a bit of beer....need to have a party or go on a 2week binge

after finals are over it'll be no problem :)

I always take my time when deciding which beer to purchase. I am always looking for somethin I have not tried to see if its worth trying to duplicate. Or I just like to try the same style by different breweries to learn style differences. All of which I find very important as a homebrewer. I dont purchase very often due to stocked shelves but sometimes its worth going to the store. I have also found that alot of the bugger stores are carying non traditional brews which is a great sign of the overall feeling that the mass produced beers are just not that good. The on;y thing that sucks is the 6-9 dollars for a six pack, ouch!.

Back