Priming: Sugar vs DME vs ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARV9673

Reaction score
I went to local HBS, presumably to pick up some sugar to prime the Blue Moon clone (*fingers crossed*) I've got in the primary right now. He mentioned that for it to truly be original, it should be primed with DME, or really,... and then he started using all "brewer-speak" and I lost what he was saying. SWMBO was with me, so I did not have time to linger and coax what he meant out in English that this ex-jarhead could understand. Do most people just use sugar? Or DME? or whatever he was talking about?

Some people use DME, some use corn sugar. I suppose some have used honey or something as well. In the past, I've used both DME and corn (priming) sugar, and truly have never noticed a difference. I'd say go ahead and use the priming sugar if you have it- it's a bit faster then the DME.

You can use 1 1/4 cup dried malt extract instead of 3/4 cup priming sugar... pretty simple...

I mix it up and use both (edit: not at the same time; sometimes i use sugar, sometimes i use DME, not a mixture of the two)...

I think what he meant by 'truly original' was that it would be all-malt if you prime with DME, as opposed to 'sugar'. Although there isn't a huge difference between the two that I can tell...

Or maybe what he meant by "truly original" was that he gets a better profit on the DME :p (j/k I don't know truthfully what he was talking about)

Like the Yooper Mistress says, I truly doubt you would ever be able to tell the difference. I use Corn Sugar to prime with, although if I were trying a traditional Lager I might experiment with Krausening; the method of adding unfermented wort to prime.

The beer snob in me tells me to use DME

Beer is Water, Malt, Hops and yeast.
So the DME fits with that.
But Corn sugar ferements easier and quicker so I think most seem to use it and are happy.

I am a beer snob and an EAC so I use DME.

I think Orfy hit the nail on the head. If it's important to you to brew according to the Reinheitsgebot (beer = water, malt, hops, yeast ONLY), then prime with DME. If it's more important to you to save a few bucks, then use corn sugar.

Some people claim that DME produces smaller, more pleasant looking bubbles, but I have used both and don't think I can tell the difference.

I generally use corn sugar.

I've got my fingers crossed. I just primed with DME for the first time the other day. I'm trying to find a warm place in my house (was -14 yesterday morning here) (not in the house, you understand-- that was the outside temp-- despite SWMBO's complaints, it actually is a little warmer than that in here)

Note to beer snobs (myself included): there has been discussion here in the past about how LME is not necessarily pure malt extract. Lots of it has lots of dextrose in it. So, if you use LME (as I do) you may not really be following the hallowed beer laws anyway.

I suppose I missed the discussion but according to the ingredients listed on the cans of LME that I actually read, all they have is water and malt extract. Are the threads still around?

PS - since I place a value on tiny, long lasting bubbles in my brew's head, not to mention compliance with tradition, I will try DME to prime my next bactch.

Yes LME and DME are both Malt, LME has just not had all the water removed.
Hence you need to use more LME for priming. Plus it's easier to have an opened pack of DME in store than LME.

There's no reason you can't prime with LME, it's just a pita!

DME will give you more sediment, cost more, require more product, take longer to carb, and is harder to work with and keep fresh.

That being said, some still say their bubbles are smaller more crisp w/DME.

Priming with corn sugar causes the yeast to start making CO2 (and little alcohol) right away (google "Crabtree Effect"), instead of first reproducing. Thus the lesser sediment and carb time.

Still, I'd say to try both and find out for yourself. Just know either WILL WORK!
Cheers

I'm like Orfy - a purist. I have primed with DME since my third batch, but it's a personal choice. Plus, I always have some DME around.

What the guy you encountered was probably tring to convey was that purists following the Reinheitsgebot would only use malt to prime their beer and no adjuncts (such as corn/corn sugar).

ARV9673 said:
I went to local HBS, presumably to pick up some sugar to prime the Blue Moon clone (*fingers crossed*) I've got in the primary right now. He mentioned that for it to truly be original, it should be primed with DME, or really,... and then he started using all "brewer-speak" and I lost what he was saying. SWMBO was with me, so I did not have time to linger and coax what he meant out in English that this ex-jarhead could understand. Do most people just use sugar? Or DME? or whatever he was talking about?

Lets see that recipe!!

6lbs Munton's Wheat DME
1lb honey.
1/2oz Cascade bittering, 1/2oz Cascade Flavor
1oz sweet orange peel (I used fresh zest but either way)

Bittering added at boil, wait 45 minutes. Add flavor hops, honey and extract and boil 15 minutes. Boil orange peel separately in 2 cups water, cool and add to fermenter.

Edit: forgot to mention I used Danstar's Windsor dry yeast to least a little sweetness.

This was posted here originally by Bobby_m
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=4685&page=2&highlight=blue+moon+recipe

I used some liquid yeast my Favorite HBS owner suggested (1 BILLION live cells, WOOHOO!) and I don't think I quite got a whole ounce of orange zest. I used three regular sized oranges and a zester. I also added coriander [boiled in cheesecloth as well as a ten minute steep at knock-out ( Is it still called knock out if you're on an electric stove top?)], also at the behest of the HBS guy, plus I can taste it in the Blue Moon when I drink it. I will lest you all know how it turns out. Still in the primary right now, should go to secondary tomorrow, or maybe this weekend. It's pretty much done fermenting though, down to a bubble every minute or so. (Hydrometer? We don't need no steenking HYDROMETER!)

And, yes, Red Green does, in fact, Rock.

i dunno if using dme makes you a purist or not. i do know that when i bottled i used both methods. imo i think that dme produces a better finish. it does take longer to carb

I used carb tabs on the last batch, They have malt and sugar in them.

Has anyone had experience with them ? (still have a lot of them so hopfully it was good experience)

Latest posts

Back