Slow cooker recipe swap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
It's finally getting cool here in Wisconsin. I thought I'd share a very simple but still good slow cooker recipe. How 'bout sharing yours, too?

Hot Beef Sandwiches

3 lb. eye of round roast
1 packet onion soup mix
1 can double strength beef broth
crusty hard rolls

The morning of the day before you want to serve: place the roast in the slow cooker, pour in the broth and sprinkle the soup mix over the roast. Cook on low all day. Wrap roast in foil and refrigerate. Place the liquid in a covered container and refrigerate it also.

The next day: thinly slice the roast. Heat it up with the reserved liquid, either in a large sauce pan or in the slow cooker. Serve as sandwiches on crusty hard rolls.

Great idea! I do love using my crock pot. :D

All Purpose Sandwich Brisket
  • 450g (1lbs) brisket
  • 1 pint of stout (or beer of your choice)
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • pepper
  • 3 whole carrots
  1. Mince garlic and rub on brisket along with pepper.
  2. Lay carrots in cooker to make a rack for brisket.
  3. Place brisket on carrot rack.
  4. Pour beer into bottom of cooker.
  5. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
This makes great sandwich meat! I like it with horseradish and caramelized onion on a bun.

I like to do a boiled dinner with a slight twist.
Basically, use ham, brisket, or a cured pork shoulder or butt. About 4-5 pound size is good.
Put about 2 cups of apple juice into the crockpot.
Add about 1 cup brown sugar.
Add the flavoring packet that comes with the brisket, if any. If not, add a pinch of ground clove, some salt, pepper, other herbs you think you'll like.
Stir the mix around. Then into the bottom add the following - all skinned and chopped into about 3"x2" chunks:
1 sweet potato good sized
3-4 carrots
2 stalks cellery
3 medium-small red potatoes
1 large russett potatoe
3 yukon gold potatoes (about same size of red potatoes)
Place your meat on top of this.
Take a head of cabage and cut it into wedges, place them all around the meat and on top if room. If too tight, use 1/2 the head of cabbage and when there's about an hour left to cook, and things have softened/settled, add the remainder.
You can add a bit more water to get liquid level right -- don't overfill since the cabage will release water as it cooks.
Cook in crockpot on low for 6+ hours or on high for 4+ hours - a lot will depend on if the veggies and apple juice are fridge temp vs. room temp.
This is AWESOME and easy. The juice and brown sugar are not as overly sweet as you might expect, and they make the cabbage so tasty that my kids will eat it (they usually dislike cabbage).

Guys, recipes above look great, too!

470 recipes.

http://www.ohrep.com/floodle/12345/470_Crock_Pot_Recipes.pdf

BANANA NUT BREAD
1/3 c shortening
1/2 c sugar
2 eggs
1-3/4 c all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 c mashed ripe bananas
1/2 c chopped walnuts
Cream together shortening and sugar; add eggs and beat well. Sift dry
ingreds; add to creamed mixture alternately with banana, blending
well after each addition. Stir in nuts. Pour into well-greased 4-6 cup
mold (I used a ceramic souffle dish). Cover with foil and tie a string
tightly around it to keep foil down. Pour 2 cups hot water in slowcooking
pot. Place mold on rack or trivet (I modified a metal veggie
steamer) in pot. Cover with crockpot lid and cook on high 2 to 3 hours
or until bread is done. Be sure not to check bread during the first 2
hours of cooking.

sausage, potato and double corn chowder.

16 oz of frozen hash (thawed)
1 can of sweet cream corn
1 can of sweet corn
1 can of evaporated milk
1 12 oz beer
1lb of hot italian turkey sausage
1 medium white onion, chopped

place beer and sausage in a sauce pan on high, covered until sausage is cooked through. remove sausage and slice thinly or bite size. place all contents in the slow cooker and cook on low all day.

i usually season with a six pepper blend that contains white, black, chili, cayenne, green, red, jalapeno, garlic powder, sea salt.

this is a good base and you can spice it up as you like it.

The 470 recipes is awesome, but it needs a table of contents.

When I use the crock pot I usually just throw some chicken, vegetables, and some stock in and let it cook on low all day. SWMBO doesn't like pork or beef, so I never make a big brisket or pork butt :(

Beef au Goblin.

dsc00001qb4.jpg

Brisket
Potato
Onion
Peas
Beans
Garlic
Seasoning (whole unchopped chilly, pepper, mustard seed, bay leaf)
Stock
Hob Goblin Ale.

Flour the brisket. Seal and deglaze the pan with Hob Goblin.

dsc00001wl0.jpg

Leave for 6 - 10 hours.

One of my favorites...

Season country style pork ribs with salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Sear ribs in either a very hot skillet or on a charcoal grill until crusty and brown. Place in crock pot.
Add 1 cup bbq sauce of choice, 1 cup of either Apfelwine or Apple juice, and a tablespoon of cider vinegar to the pot.
Add a few thinly sliced onions and about 4-5 cloves of garlic.
Cover and let cook for 4-6 hours.

Yum.

There will be a lot of fat on top of the bbq sauce and i usually pour it off at the end and try not to mix it in.

That looks good-I will definately try this, I like bbq and indoors during the winter is the best!

1 bottle any BBQ sauce, the 16oz size, and about 1-cup beef, chicken or veg broth.
2-3 #'s beef or pork, I like mine cubed in about 2inch pieces
You can add 1 onion sliced or diced, carrot sliced or diced

mix broth and bbq sauce to a mixture in cooker.
brown meat in pan with little oil/butter
toss all in slow cooker set on low all day.

when you get home or about 8-10 hours later remove beef and shred, put back in bbq sauce, mix and serve on rolls. I prefer toasted rolls, but buns work too. Talk about EASY!

Orfy-

I just love the rustic simplicity of your recipes. That brisket looks fantastic. :D Almost looks like a rasher...

One of my go-to recipes:

Slow-Cooker Pork BBQ
3-3.5 lb pork shoulder
1 packet McCormick's Pulled Pork seasoning packet (mix according to directions- 1/2 cup ketchup, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cider vinegar)

Flip on the crock pot and let 'er rip for 8-10 hours on low. Shred with a fork and pile onto sandwiches. Scoop of cole slaw on top absolutely mandatory.

I'll throw my pork faux-bbq slow-cooker recipe into the mix as well.

Score fat layer on a boston butt (pork shoulder)
Place a boston butt into the slow cooker (fat side up).
Sprinkle about 1-2 Tbs. brown sugar on top.
Sprinkle 1 Tbs. of kosher salt on top.
Sprinkle red pepper flakes on top to taste.
Pour cider vinegar of top until it comes about halfway up the pork.

I set the cooker to high and let it go all day. Baste it every hour or two.
Shred it up and mix with some of the liquid (skim fat of liquid first). Eat it by itself or on a bun. Mmmm.

EDIT: Oops. Forgot to mention you can add about a half teaspoon of liquid smoke in too for that real bbq flavor.

Very simple beef stew

1-1.5lbs stew meat
4 potatoes
.25-.5c flour
can of diced tomatoes
bottle of beer
bag of frozen stew or stir fry veggies

cover the meat in salt, pepper and flour. cut up potatoes and add to crock pot, add meat, toms and beer and let simmer on low for about 7 hours. Then add frozen veggies and let simmer for about 30 minutes or until hot and tender.

Oven Baked Swiss Steak

Round Steak - trim and cut into serving size pieces, tenderize, dredge in flour, brown in bacon grease. Saute some onion and garlic in the same pan and deglaze with a little porter or stout.

Cream of Mushroom Soup - Mix 1 or 2 cans soup with 1 or 2 dark beers, depending on size of batch. Add one package of Au ju mix. Season to taste.

Cook on low all day and serve with fresh sourdough biscuits. I usually do this with fresh elk steak in a dutch oven during elk season, but it's pretty darn good with beef in a slow-cooker.

Pulled pork sandwiches:

When I was cutting meat, we made this in a Nesco roaster and sold it in microwaveable containers. The recipe was for such a large batch, so when I make it at home, I don't measure anything, I just put it together, and taste as I go and add accordingly. So bear with me a bit in that regard......

3-4 pound pork cushion roast
1 cup vinegar
1/2 bottle ketchup
mustard
1/2 lb. brown sugar
1 cup molasses
Louisiana Hot Sauce

Put your roast and the vinegar into the slow-cooker and let it go all day, until the meat will fall apart easily. When you get home, drain whatever liquid that may be in the pot, and then take a potato masher and break up the meat. Then add all the other ingredients and stir it up. Then taste it and add more of anything you want. Again, sorry if this is a bit vague, but I have never measured any of this in my life, so I'm giving my best guess..........

There are a ton of jems on this page, all indexed.

This is one of my faves:

Golden Short Ribs

Flavorful beef short ribs are tender and delicious in the slow cooker. Serve these short ribs with mashed potatoes and biscuits or rolls.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours
Ingredients:

* 4 pounds beef short ribs, cut into 1-rib portions
* salt and pepper
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 tablespoon flour
* 1 1/2 to 2 cups baby carrots, or carrot chunks
* 3 ribs celery, cut in chunks
* 1 large onion, cut in chunks
* 1 can (10 1/2 ounces) golden mushroom soup

Preparation:
Sprinkle short ribs with salt and pepper and flour. Heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add short ribs and brown well on all sides. Discard excess fat and transfer the ribs to a 5 to 6-quart slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients; stir to combine ingredients. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours, or on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours.
Serves 4 to 6.

Undergraduate Beef Roast:

One beef roast
One pack, Lipton Onion Soup
One Bottle Coca-Cola
One bay leaf

Mix all together and let it go all day on low.

My favorite is the left over beef a day or two later... hot open face sandwiches.

chicago style hot beef sandwich
Chicago's Italian beef sandwiches
substitute crock for the oven. and if you like portellos i think it doesnt beat them but when your 600 miles south and you crave a hot beef it works fine. ;-) wish i had a slicer though

Ingredients:

1 5-lb rump roast
1 medium onion, diced
2 cups beef stock
1 Tbsp fresh oregano or 1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp dried marjoram
1 bay leaf
1 tsp hot pepper sauce, such as Tabasco
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
3 to 6 garlic cloves, crushed
1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
1 Tbsp fresh basil (optional)
Italian bread or rolls

Preparation:

Preheat the oven to 300°F (160°C). Dry the roast, season it with salt and pepper, and place it on a rack in a roasting pan. Strew the onion over the top of the roast and put the pan in the oven. Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the meat reads 140°F (60°C). Remove the roast to a platter or cutting board, cover loosely with aluminum foil, and let rest for a half hour.

Leave the roasting juices in the roasting pan and add all the other ingredients except the bread. On the top of the stove, heat and simmer the mixture for 15 to 20 minutes, adding any juices that collect from the resting beef.

Slice the beef thinly, and arrange the slices in a dish. Strain the juice mixture, pour it over the beef, and refrigerate for 8 to 12 hours.

Heat the roast beef and sauce thoroughly. Put the sliced beef on Italian bread or rolls and spoon some of the sauce on top or serve it alongside for dipping.

Some recipes recommend adding grilled green pepper slices to the sandwich or a giardinera relish (made from pickled Greek peppers, carrots, cauliflower, cucumbers, celery, turnips, red peppers, olives and onions).

This is one of my favorites that my wife makes for me.

Slow cooker chicken stroganoff

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cubed
1/8 cup margarine
1 (.7 ounce) package dry Italian-style salad dressing mix
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup

1. Put chicken, margarine and dressing mix in slow cooker; mix together and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours.
2. Add cream cheese and soup, mix together and cook on high for another 1/2 hour or until heated through and warm.

We usually eat it over rice or egg noodles, mm mm I think I know what I want for dinner now.

Super simple chicken tacos

Place boneless skinless chicken breasts in the crock pot and cover with Pace salsa. You can add spices such as garlic powder and taco seasoning if you like but it honestly doesn't need it. This will make really moist flavorful chicken taco filling. Take about 4 hours on high to make the chicken tender to the point where you can fork shred it. Once its cooked shred it put it in a bowel or tray and pour a bit of the residual liquid in the crock pot over the chicken. Tastes great.

Here is an easy method of making corned beef. Cook overnight in crock pot on low.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Corned Beef

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
5 pounds brisket, trimmed
1 pint salt brine -- Use Pickling or Kosher Salt only
3 tablespoons Penseys Corn Beef Spice Mix (or other brand)
2 tablespoons sugar
1 clove garlic -- minced
1 large freezer zip lock bag

Mix all spices in brine. Place meat in bag and pour in spice/brine
mixture. Squeeze all air out of bag and zip to seal. Mix in bag so
that spices are as evenly distributed as possible and refrigerate.

Marinate for two to three days, turning two or three times as day to
evenly distribute brine mixture.

Edcculus's Slow Cooker Barbecue

Yea, technically its not barbecue if its not smoked. Slow cookers are more accessible and require less attention.

Here is my recipe that usually gets rave reviews. Its loosely based off of Alton Brown's pulled pork in the "Q" episode. Feel free to share yours too.
Meat
5-8 lb boston butt

Brine
3/4 cup molasses
12 oz pickling salt
2 quarts water
1/2 bottle Shealy's Bar-B-Que Vinegar and Pepper sauce.

Place boston butt and liquid into a container. Make sure the meat is submerged. Refrigerate for 8-12 hours.

The Rub
1 tsp fennel seed
1 tsp corriander
1tsp cumin
1tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbl onion powder
1 tbl chili powder
1 tbl paprika

After 8-12 hours, remove the butt from the brine. Pat dry and evenly coat with the rub. Place the butt in the already warmed slow cooker on high. Add about a bottle of Shealy's Bar-B-Que Vinegar and Pepper sauce, or enough to cover half of the butt. Add in a few dashes of liquid smoke.

After 2 hours, reduce the heat to the lowest setting. Cook for about 8 hours. Keep the temperature around 205F-210F.

Remove pork from the cooker. Discard liquid. Rest the meat until it is cool enough to pull. Return pulled pork to slow cooker. Add Shealy's or favorite sauce to taste.

I'm new to the slow cooker, so here's a recipe you just can't mess up, shown here with my not yet very carb'd cream ale:
DSCF0912.JPG

Crock Pot Reubens
1 to 2 lb Sauerkraut
1 lb thick sliced deli corned beef brisket
1/2 lb thinly sliced swiss cheese (your preference as to type)
Thousand Island or Russian Dressing
Marble Rye

Strain the sauerkraut and spread on to/blot with paper towels to dry

Layer from bottom to top: kraut, a small amount of dressing, cheese, beef, cheese. Low for 3-5 hours. Lightly toast the bread, cut the contents of the pot and serve onto bread with a spatula, open faced. Add warmed dressing to taste. The leftovers are much more conducive to regular sandwich making after they spend the night in the fridge.

I take:
a couple lbs of ground elk
canned chopped tomatoes
kdney beans
chili beans
pinto peans
onion
pepper
chili peppers
spices
and end up with pretty tasty chili. With virtually no fat and toms of protein and fiber

Hmm I will definitely be trying some of these soon.

Here is one you may like, I learned the recipe years ago when I used to work at Shoney's back in my high school days. It goes over really well at our house and its hearty and warm.

This is the recipe for "Cabbage Beef Soup"

Ingredients:
2 pounds ground sirloin or lean ground beef
1 fairly big yellow onion or vidallia onion
1 spoon full minced garlic
1 spoon full of beef-base or 2-3 beef bullion cubes
1 14.5 oz can light red kidney beans
1 14.5 oz can dark red kidney beans
2 ribs of celerery cleaned and chopped
2 14.5 oz cans of stewed tomatoes ( get the Italian seasoned kind that already has herbs )
1 10 oz can tomato sauce ( optional )
1/2 of large head of green cabbage chopped in 1-2 inch pieces
salt & pepper

Coarse chop the onion, brown the beef with the onion and garlic and drain off the fat. Don't over cook just melt the fat off and discard the grease. Add onion and beef to slow cooker. Open the 2 cans of beans and add them including liquid to the slow cooker. Chop the celery and add it to the slow cooker. Open can of the stewed tomatoes and add it to the slow cooker. Open the other can of stewed tomatoes, put it in the blender for a few seconds and then add it to the slow cooker. Sometimes I substitute an extra can of tomato sauce at this point. Important to add all the juice from the cans of beans and tomatoes. Don't add any extra water. Now wash the cabbage, cut it into nice big chunks maybe like 1 - 1&1/2 inch cubes and put the cabbage in on top.

Turn the slow cooker on low and leave it alone covered for 8-10 hours, there is a lot of liquid in the cabbage so as it cooks down it will go from a thick pile of ingredients to more of a "soup" consistency.

Best to get up early and make this in the morning before hunting or fishing or something, that way when you get home in the afternoon its hot and ready - make some corn bread to go along with it.

Best pot roast evah!

1 pork tenderloin
3 red potatoes
3 large carrots
1 can mushrooms
1 package dried french onion soup

-peel and cut carrots into chunks and place in in bottom of crock
-cut pork in half, rub with Emeril's essence (BAM!) and place on top of carrots
-cube up potatoes and put around pork
-pour in can of mushrooms
-mix soup w/ 1/2 cup water (or stock) and garlic powder and pour in

cook on low 7-8 hours

Chicken Cacciatore

4 leg 1/4's
1 small onion
1 carrot
1 stalk celery
1 can Hunts crushed tomatoes with basil and garlic.
Italian Seasoning(Dollar Tree dried herbs)

Throw chopped veggies in Crockpot
Place chicken on top
Add sauce from can
Shake on dried herbs.
Low for 6 hours.
Do Not Stir!

Quick,simple, Tasty.
This is one of my staples that I cook once a week, usually on sunday

Noooooooooo. Nooooooooooooooo. It's not time yet! Get those Weber's back out of the garage! Don't give up yet!

Ok, Ok, I concede. These recipes do make me want to bust out the crock pot.

heheh, I actually prefer to smoke in the autumn rather than the summer b/c it is so much nicer outside (autumn is my favorite season). However, I am a HUGE crockpot fan (got 4 of them), so I can't wait for crockpot weather. I get the best of both worlds my way!

Here's my super simple crock pot pulled pork recipe:

1 Pork butt or picnic roast both work
1 16oz bottle of favorite BBQ sauce: I use Sweet Baby Rays
1 bottle lawry's Baja Chipotle OR mesquite marinade depending on my mood
1 whole onion diced (red or white)

Brown the outside of the pork roast in a pan with a bit of oil, I usually sprinkle the outside with a bit of salt and red pepper also. Mix the BBQ sauce, marinade, and diced onion. Put pork in crock pot, dump sauce mixture over, cook until pork is falling apart. Pull pork and put back in sauce mixture, mix up, and serve over crusty rolls.

Super easy and very very very good.

3 lbs of boneless (or bone-in) pork ribs seasoned with:
salt, pepper, onion, garlic, chili powder

Put ribs in slow cooker with:
1 cup of apfelwein or cider
1 tbsp of liquid smoke
top with water

Cook for 3 hours on high or 6-8 on low
drain liquid and add 16 oz of BBQ sauce (homemade or Sweet Baby Ray's)
cook on low for 1 hour

Chow down w/ a Homebrew and smashed potatoes. Amazing!

Can't beat the liquid smoke since I can't tend a smoker for 8-12 hours unless we plan the weekend around it.

I love making chile verde and usually use some variation of the recipe here:
http://www.chow.com/recipes/10680

* 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
* 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
* 5 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
* 1 large red onion, coarsely chopped
* 6 medium garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
* 5 medium Anaheim chiles, coarsely chopped
* 5 medium poblanos, coarsely chopped
* 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
* 2 cups medium-dice russet potatoes
* 15 medium tomatillos, husked and quartered
* 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh oregano
* 1 tablespoon dried Aleppo pepper
* 1 tablespoon ground cumin
* 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
* 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
* 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro

I make this with chicken or sometimes a pork roast. I rarely do the breading and frying step. I also omit the cinnamon and usually the taters. Basically just wake up early, throw everything into the crock pot, set it on low, and when you get home from work you'll have a big pot of delicious chile verde. I usually make spanish rice after getting home, and do burritos the first night. Then I have a couple day's worth of lunches that usually involve just putting some of this in a bowl, heating it up, adding a ton of cheese and hot sauce, and then eating it with chips. mmm so tasty. I usually eyeball things and try to run my large crock pot near capacity, because after it cools I'll divide some out and vacuum pack it with the foodsaver. It freezes well, and even months later is a delicious quick dinner.

Oh wow, I've been looking for a good chili verde recipe for a while now. I think I'm going to have to try this one because it looks about like what I was trying to work up on my own. I also agree that it looks like leaving out the cinnamon and possibly potatoes would be smart. Thanks a ton.

Crock 'O' Venison

1 - Venison Roast (1 1/2 - 2 1/2 lbs)
1 Can - Cream of Mushroom Soup (Condensed)
1 Large - Vadalia or Sweet Onion Sliced or Chopped
1 TBS Soy Sauce
1 TBS Worchestshire Sauce

All ingredients into crock pot in the morning, set it on low and go away for about 8 - 10 hours. Do not open up the lid to stir or taste. Just walk away and come back later.

This is excellent with wide noodles, rice, or mashed potatoes. I prefer the noodles myself.

Side Note on Venison - trim as much of the silver skin and fat from exposed areas of the roast as you can. Don't get to crazy and try to get it all, cause in a roast, you will always have something you can cut away. Clean it up as best you can. This will help to alleviate or reduce the gamey taste many people complain of with wild game.

Salute! :mug:

Here is my standard...

Curry Chicken
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I have done from fresh and from frozen)
- Half a can of chicken broth
- 500ml Whipping Cream
- 3-4 tbsp curry powder

I cook on low for about 12 hours (b/c that is how long we are away from home in the day) but it is fine on high after 4 hours.

Serve up with some basmatti rice... I find zucchini goes nice with it.

We have been working on a healthier version, using yogurt in place of the cream, but nothing that has really worked so far...

Porter-braised beef short ribs

Beef short ribs (cut in half) - as many as you can fit in a single layer
Olive oil
About a cup of aromatic veg (I like fennel, celery, onion and parsnip)
1 clove garlic
Salt and Pepper
Porter

Season the short ribs with salt and pepper. Add a bit of olive oil to a pan over medium heat and brown the ribs on all sides. Remove the short ribs and place into the slow cooker in a single layer.

Wipe out excess fat from the pan, leaving about 2 tbls or so. Add the aromatic vegetables and garlic and cook on medium heat until they smell nice, they should remain a bit firm. Use your best judgment on this part-you don't really want to cook the vegetables all the way through. The goal is to get the aromatics really going strong from the start.

Dump the vegetable into the slow cooker with the ribs. Pour in enough porter to cover about half-way up the ribs. Don't submerge the ribs in liquid.

Cook on high until it really starts to boil, then turn the heat down to low and cook until the ribs are falling apart.

I have two crock pot favorites, both of em are for making tacos.
simple chicken tacos: 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, one 7.75oz can of El Pato (yellow can) and one 10 oz can of original Rotel. put chicken into crock pot, add Rotel and El Pato and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until falling apart. shread chicken with 2 forks and return to crock pot to combine with remaining liquid, salt to taste and serve on flour tortillas with sour cream, cheese, a squeeze of lime and whatever else you like!

beef tacos: beef chuck roast about 3-4lbs or whatever fits into your crock pot. rub roast with salt, pepper and garlic powder (I use one part of each) and sear all sides in a hot pan, transfer to the crock pot and add water halfway up the roast, sprinkle some SPG into the water as well let it go for 8 hours on low basting every couple hours (I just flip it over at midway point) when fall apart done remove from crockpot and drain liquid. shread the beef and return to the crockpot, add 8oz mexican lager or about any pale ale will do, also add 1/2 jar or so of Pace picante sauce and mix well, turn on the crock pot to high and cook uncovered for another 1/2 hour or so to evaporate some liquid and to heat everything through again. fry up some corn tortilla shells in canola oil using tongs to make the shells, serve up with your favorite toppings and enjoy!

Just made this last week and it was really good, and it even uses beer. I was just winging it but wrote everything down.

Beef Tips
Ingredients:
2.5 lbs. beef/sirloin tips
1 cup yellow onion, diced
1/2 lb mushrooms, sliced
1 TBS dry mustard
3 ea garlic cloves, minced
1 TBS tomato paste
2 ea whole cloves, crushed/ground
1 TBS Worcestershire sauce
1 cup beef stock
1 cup dark beer (low hops, I used Strong Scotch Ale)
1 ea bay leaf
as req salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup water

Directions:
1. Combine everything in a Dutch oven or crock pot. Liquid should almost cover meat but not quite. Cook in 250* F oven or LOW on crock pot for ~8 hours. Do not stir for last hour.
2. When done, do not stir but ladle/scoop/remove as much grease off the top as possible (if you got the right kind of sirloin tips, ie. not lean, there should be a lot of grease). Remove bay leaf.
3. Strain liquid into a pot, bring to a low boil, add cornstarch/water mixture to thicken to desired consistency (may not need it all, may need more). Do not continue to boil or it can break.
4. Pour gravy back into crock pot and gently mix.
5. Serve over egg noodles or rice.

Back