Balancing w/ different ID tubes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aust1227

Reaction score
Hey guys

I am in a pinch and have to set up a tap for this weekend. I have a two tap kegerator that needs to turn into a three tap kegerator for a weekend party. I already have the supplies and time to put it together. But the only beverage line I can find locally is 1/4" ID, and both of the current lines are 3/16" ID. What is a good conversion to use when figuring how much longer the 1/4" needs to be?

DATA from current set up -

PSI @ 12
6 feet of 3/16" thick walled leads to a perfect pour w/ good carbonation.
temp @40

If you look at the very first post it is a sticky for kegging. There is something like half dozen sites in there about balancing.

Ok, but if this is just a setup in a pinch, just drop your serving pressure down to 3-4 PSI and don't worry about length. Balancing is done for long term convenience of not messing with pressures. You won't lose carbonation in one day of serving.

Bobby_M said:
Ok, but if this is just a setup in a pinch, just drop your serving pressure down to 3-4 PSI and don't worry about length. Balancing is done for long term convenience of not messing with pressures. You won't lose carbonation in one day of serving.

But if this is just for the third line... if he drops the pressure for all three kegs (assuming he can't set separate pressures), aren't the other two going to pour REALLY slowly (unless he shortens those lines, which I doubt he wants to do since he's got it all balanced).

Tubing's cheap, and you'll find use for it down the road once you get the right stuff. Try the 24' (coil it up with some zip ties), see how that works, then get yourself some of the smaller ID stuff for down the line.

Back