What your pet peeve about Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It used to ve the lost sleep cause ny mind was always thinking about homebrew.

Washing and taking off labels really sucks, but I got all my bottles delabeled now! 200+ bottles.

And not being able to brew as much as I want, oh the LME extract twang hate it.

All those count for 1 peeve?

Hop schedules, there's just so many hops in so many combinations at so many different amounts/times in the boil. I can never decide!

I guess it's really more like a dirty pleasure ;)

yeah and bring back my bottles, Im tired of asking the local bar to save their 'trash' for me.

Buy equipment online, then realizing that there was some spec that I did not even know to ask about. Not the sellers fault, so either live with it, return it (extra shipping), or not use it.

On the same line of thinking, using something two or three times and then switching to something else...

I almost have two brew systems in spare parts now.

Mine is equipment. $30 themometer not accurate. PH meter not accurate, measuring not accurate. Fermentation temps not accurate. Kegging -- don't have to clean 50 bottles but haven't found a regulator that doesn't leak. Water profile never accurate... Just always feels like we are tying a hammock together with duct tape just to take a nap.

BreezyBrew said:
Mine is equipment. $30 themometer not accurate. PH meter not accurate, measuring not accurate. Fermentation temps not accurate. Kegging -- don't have to clean 50 bottles but haven't found a regulator that doesn't leak. Water profile never accurate... Just always feels like we are tying a hammock together with duct tape just to take a nap.

Yeah just think about what early germans would have done to make beer........and now we are all just scratching our heads for that authenicity! Well, atleast i am.

Yeah just think about what early germans would have done to make beer........and now we are all just scratching our heads for that authenicity! Well, atleast i am.

Id wonder about there sanitation process.

I'd wonder about there sanitation process.

Great point. Everything was wood. Talk about sanitation problems. In fact, I just remembered in the new IPA book by Mitch Steele he was saying that a good number of the beers had "soured" by the time they got to India. That would get old very quickly.

When people say "when are you going to brew a batch for me?" Then they laugh like they are the only person to ever say that to me. No clue how hard it is to do...how much work is involved. I had one rather persistent person who I finally had to just get real with. "Oh, just let me wave my magic wand. No, wait, I don't actually have one of those. So why don't you come over and scrub stuff for a couple of hours and pony up some dough for ingredients? Asshat."

Again, a small complaint, but it gets my goat. Hence, it follows the definition of "pet peeve." ;)

My girlfriend gave away my last bomber of octoberfest I was saving for my HB club meeting to her stupid friend I don't even like for X-mas. Top it all off, her friend only drinks BMC! She'll probably make a face after sipping and dump it.

My girlfriend gave away my last bomber of octoberfest I was saving for my HB club meeting to her stupid friend I don't even like for X-mas. Top it all off, her friend only drinks BMC! She'll probably make a face after sipping and dump it.

...and then tell her to tell you that she loved it.

If you do not like my beer, just tell me. That way I do not waste it on you. Grumbe Grumble....

Dude that's a huge bummer. I bottled up about 4 bottles of 3 different batches and hid them in my house before vacation because I had a job interview with Twisted Pine upon my return. When I got home from vacation I found that my roommates had drank ALL of the bottles (despite being labeled "do not drink") AND proceeded to empty my kegs. That was a fun night in my house when they basically cost me my dream job.

DrunkleJon said:
...and then tell her to tell you that she loved it.

If you do not like my beer, just tell me. That way I do not waste it on you. Grumbe Grumble....

It wasn't my greatest batch, but I was saving just the one so the guys at the club could tell me if I jacked the Kashmir whatever... Just so happened to be my first multi rest mash in a cooler. Which was probably whys numbers were off

Dude that's a huge bummer. I bottled up about 4 bottles of 3 different batches and hid them in my house before vacation because I had a job interview with Twisted Pine upon my return. When I got home from vacation I found that my roommates had drank ALL of the bottles (despite being labeled "do not drink") AND proceeded to empty my kegs. That was a fun night in my house when they basically cost me my dream job.

What ever happened to the good ole days when you could just tell them to man up, and then take them outside and beat the s$^t out of them. They would then shake hands with you and never do that again, while sporting a black eye or two.

I don't know what I would think of any common thief who would blatantly steal $200 (or that much materials and labor) from me. I may be tempted to add a little exlax to a few bottles of the next chocolate stout and clearly mark them "do not drink." Either way, a thief is a thief is a thief.

germanmade84 said:
At the moment it is actually geting 5 gals of beer from a "five gallon" batch.

Adjust your recipe to 6gal. After trub loss, hop absorption, and "shrinkage", you'll fill your 5gal corny to the top ;)

The hop/malt "substitution" chart at lhbs and the guy thinking this means he doesn't need to carry anything that has a substitute.

The price of malt seems ridiculous. A little 1LB bag of dried malt sugar with a 6$ price tag on it.

Listening to friends swear they want to come over and learn about brewing, while they never do... And my wife's brother taking 16 pints off my corny in one night

cold weather. i don't want to brew when it's in the 30's or even 40's. i like to stay in the garage and shoot pool and drink while brewing. can't do that when it's cold

before I started kegging, it was anything that had to do with bottles. For the first few years I brewed it didn't bother me as much but I just got to the point where I hated it. Now I would have to say is the clean-up afterwards.

Taking labels off bottles. I hate labels, no, I hate label glue.

Trying to clean and sanitize several feet of racking siphon and tubes and brew pot in a tiny kitchen sink.

Trying to keep my weight down by only drinking one a night.

Brew days are theraputic for me. I don't want people around when I'm brewing. I deal with enough damn people at work.

I have to say lack of space for my brew equipment. Living in a townhouse with no garage and a wife who has taken over most of the basement with her craft supplies. I have to wedge my stuff in where I can.

All the cleaning of the nit picky little things that can take a lot of time. Especially when you have to wait your turn at the sink.

Mine: Getting on this forum, and seeing people use 'Belgium' as an adjective. 'Belgian' is an adjective, Belgium is a noun. I never see 'I made an awesome America IPA' or 'Check out this England Brown Ale recipe.' It drives me nuts.

There is no happy medium; 5 gallons doesn't last long enough, but it makes too much for me to explore all the styles and recipe tweaks I want to try. I need rich, alcoholic friends!

There is no happy medium; 5 gallons doesn't last long enough, but it makes too much for me to explore all the styles and recipe tweaks I want to try. I need rich, alcoholic friends!

That bugged me too. Then I started 3 gallon batches. Now I can brew more often!

The fact that UPS in the UK & EU will ship your beer between countries & parts of the country when the same damn company won't do the same over here. They even have special packaging for sale. I'd love that here.

The fact that UPS in the UK & EU will ship your beer between countries & parts of the country when the same damn company won't do the same over here. They even have special packaging for sale. I'd love that here.

Ya but it keeps your creative side going ; P

Back