Oops, forgot about sunlight...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CallMeZoot

Reaction score
Well, I have a glass carboy of Shiraz from a kit, and another carboy of Apfelwein. They've been sitting in my kitchen (the Shiraz has been there for 2 weeks, the Apfelwein for a few days).

My kitchen has windows so of course the carboys have been exposed to light. It's at the far end of the room, away from the windows, and there are trees so the sun is never directly glaring on them, but still, the room is definitely bright during the day...

I will cover them before tomorrow morning, but I have to ask the age-old annoying question "did I ruin my batches?"

Thanks,
chris.

CallMeZoot said:
Well, I have a glass carboy of Shiraz from a kit, and another carboy of Apfelwein. They've been sitting in my kitchen (the Shiraz has been there for 2 weeks, the Apfelwein for a few days).

My kitchen has windows so of course the carboys have been exposed to light. It's at the far end of the room, away from the windows, and there are trees so the sun is never directly glaring on them, but still, the room is definitely bright during the day...

I will cover them before tomorrow morning, but I have to ask the age-old annoying question "did I ruin my batches?"

Thanks,
chris.

I asked the same question a while ago regarding the apfelwein, and the response was "it doesn't matter if it is covered or not, it'll be fine". So I kept my apfelwein uncovered, and it turned out fine.

Wine is most definitely affected by sunlight. I keep my carboys covered. However, that minimal amount should be fine. The worst that will happen with red wine is a little color loss. White wines will often turn tan or brownish, though, if allowed to sit in sunlight.

So I don't have to worry about the wine being skunked? (as long as I cover it up ASAP)...

Thanks,
chris.

CallMeZoot said:
So I don't have to worry about the wine being skunked? (as long as I cover it up ASAP)...

Thanks,
chris.
Skunking is a reaction with UV light and the hops in beer. Without hops wine will not skunk but sunlight still causes damage just like it does to your skin. Wine is just less sensitive than hops (but more so than your skin).
Craig

Back