SWMBO is....AWESOME!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScubaSteve

Reaction score
So, after reading this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=42595 I really got to thinking...I have a big HDTV, and I'm only using 480i! So, I started poking around at BestBuy.com and noticed the PS3 just had a pricebreak, and they were also offering 5 free BluRay discs and a free game or extra controller. I used to totally write this thing off as WAY too expensive, but now it's becoming a lot more reasonable, especially if you subscribe to blockbuster and want to watch BluRay.

So I got to mentioning it around the house a few times.

I come home last night late, sit on the couch for a bit and unwind, and after 10 minutes or so, I finally realize there's an 80G PS3 with a copy of Oblivion sitting on the loveseat not 10 feet from me! She totally surprised me!

I immediately told her to take it back, but I guess she fanagled some money around to make it affordable.

After getting it set up in 720P HD and optical/digital audio, this thing ROCKS!!!:rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

It does SO much stuff....bluetooth (I can use my wireless phone earpiece, a wireless keyboard, mouse, etc.) surfs the internet, bluray, and a lot more. Also, it plays PS2 games (and upconverts them to HD) which are like $20 so I can get games without breaking

I have regressed 15 years, and am officially a PS3 fanboy. :D

Oh that's awesome! Only thing better than that is Edmund Fitzgerald!:D

While I don't have a tv that is anything worth mentioning, we did just get a Wii the other day and it's a lot of fun! Our TV is satrting to crap out on us, so I'll probably upgrade to a nice flat screen for christmas this year.

How do you like Oblivion?

Welcome to the world of HD :D.

I played the PC Oblivion over the course of the summer before last; we didn't have an internet connection so it was really about the only thing to do after a long, hard day of work. Probably put a couple hundred hours into it; the replay value is off the charts!

Yeah, I bought my TV (56" DLP) a year ago for 2k, now I saw a 42" LG LCD....WITH a Home Theater system, for $1200. It's a good time to get a TV, the technology is getting way cheap.

Oblivion is freaking sweet. I was disappointed with the intro scene's graphics, but I adjusted some things on the TV and everthing looks awesome. The graphics have so much detail (reflections, facial expressions, etc.) it's ridiculous. The game is CHEAP @ $29 and it will keep you busy forever....I read somewhere that the world map is so large it's equivalent to walking for 10 miles in real life. What's more, everything can be interacted with. For instance, you can shoot an arrow into a tree, go to the other side of the world, come back months of gameplay later, and the arrow will still be there. AND, you can grab the arrow, pull it out of the tree, and reclaim it. Friggin genius. I guess the downside is that it's a time consuming and involved game, but as long as I can still force myself to get out of the house and go work out, it keeps me occupied enough to not spend money on random stuff.

RadicalEd said:
Welcome to the world of HD :D.

I played the PC Oblivion over the course of the summer before last; we didn't have an internet connection so it was really about the only thing to do after a long, hard day of work. Probably put a couple hundred hours into it; the replay value is off the charts!

I totally agree. $30 for a game you can play for hundreds of hours. Awesome. There go my aspirations of becoming a professional athlete :D

Wii is pretty fun, and I think it's great for families. They're actually selling quite a few just because the whole family can play, and it's pretty cheap.

Heh, I probably played through Oblivion 3 times with different characters...It's a lot more fun if you chose a "off the beaten path" type of character. Everybody and their sister has played a heavy armor-sword char, be a little more creative! Like a fisticuffs elf :D.

Further advice: alchemy, theft, and spell creation are your three best friends. Steal food, make potions, sell them for tons of money, and then use high-effect 1 second spells to great effect. E.G., 1 second soul trap, 1 second fire damage+100% weakness to fire, 1 second +100 charm, etc. You get the idea :D.

Sweet deal Scubasteve! Does your Swmbo offer SWMBO lessons? Id like to sign someone up!

She's probably TOO good to me some times.....I definitely don't deserve this. :)

I totally justified my PS3 purchase to myself by saying - Hey, it's not just a game console, it's a bluray player! I watch in 1080i (my plasma doesn't do 1080p :( ) and it's pretty sweet!

My wife likes the Xbox 360 after finding out we can hook up an external hard drive and look at our family photos and listen to music.

Naw, Dude....you can easily do all that on the PS3. It has 4 USB ports (some models have 2) an SD slot, Flash slot, and works with Blue-tooth. You could easily plug your ext hd into the USB port. Also, the PS3 uses Wi-Fi so you can surf around, watch youtube, prOn, or listen to music.

Back