Has anyone tried the new Shiner pale ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbeer

Reaction score
I'm trying to find a recipe for something similar (maybe a clone)... I really liked it! I've always done Sierra but this one really blew my mind... Let me know if you run by it.

I thought it was "ok", and enjoyed the six pack I bought. I didn't like it nearly as much as other commercial pale ales.

From Shiner's website:
IBU: 32 5.5% ABV
A mature individual stands 9.5 inches tall and weighs 12.0001 ounces. Renowned for its assertive temperament and hoppy characteristics. It has a distinguished heritage, being the product of high alpha Bravo and U.S. Golding hops, as well as two-row barley malt with a blend of Munich and caramel malts. Note the Wild Hare’s handsome red pelt and distinctive neck band, which helps distinguish it from others out in the wild. The beer enthusiast is its only known predator.

So, two row, Munich and some caramel malt bittered with bravo and flavored with US Goldings. That shouldn't be too hard to try to clone. I'd try 1.052 for the OG, 1.010 for the FG, with 32 IBUs.

I don't know how much Munich malt, but probably less than 10%.

Maybe for the grain bill, something like this?:

8 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 82.9 %
1 lbs Munich Malt (Briess) (10.0 SRM) Grain 9.8 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.3 %

Then bittered with bravo hops with the Goldings at 15 and 0 minutes, for IBUs of 32. That'd be my guess, anyway.

I thought it was "ok", and enjoyed the six pack I bought. I didn't like it nearly as much as other commercial pale ales.

I had the exact same reaction.

Then bittered with bravo hops with the Goldings at 15 and 0 minutes, for IBUs of 32. That'd be my guess, anyway.

I got all excited when I saw Bravo in the description as my Bravo SMASH was amazing... but... no, nothing from Bravo flavor nor aroma-wise in it... *sigh*

I thought it was pretty decent, and coming from Shiner, it's the best beer they make imo. Kosmos is pretty good too, but I'm not going to buy the variety pack to get a couple bottles of it...

Back