fermenting question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickv3444

Reaction score
Ok, so I just brewed my first batch of northern brewer cream ale extract, and everything is goin great I think. I had activity in my airlock in the glass carboy after about 24 hours and krausen. Now 5-6 days later the airlock bubbles maybe 1 time every minute or so and the krausen has gone Down into the beer already. It seems kind of soon for it to be done fermenting. Btw my o.g. was 1.042, should I take a hydrometer reading on my batch already or wait it out for another week or so?

It's slowing down because fermentation is slowing down, but that doesn't mean it's done. I'd wait a week and take a reading, or do what many of us do and just ignor it for 3 more weeks and bottle. Taking a grav reading then to see if it's at terminal gravity.

I started ignoring gravity readings till the 2 week mark. They're usually close to FG by then. It's just slowing down after initial fermentation till it winds down to FG. No worries.

Right on, I had a feeling but wasn't for sure. Thanks for the quick reply. I will just wait it out a couple more weeks. Also, what is the ideal final gravity a cream ale extract should be at ? Or will it always be different, nit too sure on how that works exactly?

Right on, I had a feeling but wasn't for sure. Thanks for the quick reply. I will just wait it out a couple more weeks. Also, what is the ideal final gravity a cream ale extract should be at ? Or will it always be different, nit too sure on how that works exactly?

Your recipe should list the fg range.

Probably right around 1.012 i believe..

I don't even look atthem until 3 weeks any more.

Just get a good pipeline going and you will have plenty of brew to drink

Cheers

Back