Terrible terrible things happened!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cruzn4aBrewzn

Reaction score
So I just went to rack a Belgian blond into a keg and it smelled like (putrid cat ****)! No joke. It tasted like a homeless man who had been eating cat **** all day vomited in my mouth! Terrible! So when I racked to secondary it smelled amazing and tasted beautiful. I did get a stuck fermentation so I added a packet of high attenuation Belgian yeast at secondary but now I have a beer that smells so bad I almost want to burn my carboy and corny! Any ideas on what might have happened? I was thinking many a wild cat **** yeast got in?

Sorry, I have no pics as it's been dumped. But there were no visible signs of infection. The beer was clear and looked great. Although it did naturally carbonate in the carboy... Thought that was odd.

Ya I'll have to recreate this with an abv of like 14 and sell it as a malt liquor in a 24 oz can and make millions!

My guess is ... infection. Wild yeast doesn't taste like ****. You've probably got some nasty bacteria in there.

LVBen said:
My guess is ... infection. Wild yeast doesn't taste like ****. You've probably got some nasty bacteria in there.

good to know about the yeast. But I am soo pissed! Tis is my first dumped beer! Sad face...

how long has it been in fermenters? you could always let it sit for a while and see if it goes away. sometimes the beer just needs time to heal itself so to speak. especially if you had a particularly violent or hot fermentation

bwomp313 said:
how long has it been in fermenters? you could always let it sit for a while and see if it goes away. sometimes the beer just needs time to heal itself so to speak. especially if you had a particularly violent or hot fermentation

It had been in fermentors for about four weeks. I dumped it though. It was seriously so bad that even while I was dumping it into my compost I was dry heaving!

It had been in fermentors for about four weeks. I dumped it though. It was seriously so bad that even while I was dumping it into my compost I was dry heaving!

I think we have a winner!!! You have to choose between a new Hoover rolling vacuum-cleaner, this lovely dinette set, or....

Meh, f*** it.

You nailed the issue in every one of your previous posts: sanitation.

Granted, it's something that takes a few batches to really nail, but you'll learn, in time, everything that needs cleaning, sanitizing, or boiling. I've taken to using a 20-gallon Rubbermaid 1/2 full of sanitizer for everything on brew or bottle day: soaking transfer lines, bottling bucket, the primary itself, swiping some for sanitizing bottle caps & even my airlock.

Base rule of thumb: thoroughly sanitize everything that comes into contact with the beer post-boil.

scrambledegg81 said:
I think we have a winner!!! You have to choose between a new Hoover rolling vacuum-cleaner, this lovely dinette set, or....

Meh, f*** it.

You nailed the issue in every one of your previous posts: sanitation.

Granted, it's something that takes a few batches to really nail, but you'll learn, in time, everything that needs cleaning, sanitizing, or boiling. I've taken to using a 20-gallon Rubbermaid 1/2 full of sanitizer for everything on brew or bottle day: soaking transfer lines, bottling bucket, the primary itself, swiping some for sanitizing bottle caps & even my airlock.

Base rule of thumb: thoroughly sanitize everything that comes into contact with the beer post-boil.

Ya, I am super crazy about sanitation though and probably go overboard. Although this batch was fermenting at my cousins house and he did say that the airlock was off for a while, not sure why. Kids or something. Also they are the ones that re-piitched yeast. And that's where everything went bad. I guess I'll just make super duper sure that everything is mega clean and sanitized.

Don't let your non brewing cousin perform critical steps in your beer making process.

And really? Kids + missing air lock for "a while" and you don't know what happened? :D :mug:

IrregularPulse said:
Don't let your non brewing cousin perform critical steps in your beer making process.

And really? Kids + missing air lock for "a while" and you don't know what happened? :D :mug:

Ya... Although I do brew with him fairly regularly but don't think that they were as careful about a safe place for the carboys but I think that ist was a toss up between temp control and safety. Oh well, I guess you live you learn... Still sucks though. It was a new recipe and was Sokol good when racked into secondary! I just never hope to smell or taste what it turned into again. Absolutely vile!

Kids have a habit of putting crap in places where it shouldn't be.

This is why my fermenters are on the other side of a gate that the kids haven't figured out how to open yet! Otherwise, I'd have toys and cat food floating in my beer.

Has anyone else put the possible correlation together between the taste and the kids being in proximity to the brew? It tastes like cat ****, is it possible that's because it has cat **** in it?

sorry, just had to mention that one, not saying it's probably true at all...

SailorTodd said:
Has anyone else put the possible correlation together between the taste and the kids being in proximity to the brew? It tastes like cat ****, is it possible that's because it has cat **** in it?

sorry, just had to mention that one, not saying it's probably true at all...

Ha.. That was my initial thought but the beer was clear with no "floaters"... Sure could have fooled me though!

Back