Who has NEVER had an infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gannawdm

Reaction score
I remember when I first started I was super paranoid about infections. 26 batches later, I have not had an infection. If you have never experienced an infection (that you knew about), please speak up and note how many batches you've managed to brew infection-free.

Same here, I'm getting relaxed about it but I realized as long as I keep doing the same thing every batch sanitation wise, I should be fine. That said here are a few things I swore would have caused an infection but didn't

Water from ice bath got into warm wort, bucket used to hold ice bath was filthy and previously used to hold old donated clothes then it was used at a party to hold empty beer bottles (there was still dried on beer at the bottom of the bucket when i used it.

Drunk friend sneezed into wort.

Slipped and stuck my whole unsanitized arm into already cooled wort.

As you can see I have all my issues when it comes to cooling the wort, racking and bottling always seems to go swell.

9 batches, and I haven't had any infections in MY beer, but earlier this month I had an infected bottle of Raven's Eye Imperial Stout from Eel River Brewing Co, and last night I had an infected bottle of Black Fly Stout from Gritty McDuff's Brewing Co. Both were 22 oz'ers and both bought at the same store, so I'm not sure if it's a coincidence...

It's probably a coincidence, unless the store uncaps bottles, do things to them and then reseal.

Haven't had an infection myself, but I've bottle batches for friends that were infected. I'm ten batches in.

50 all-grain batches (that includes 1 mead and 2 apfelweins). 1 infection. Who knew that a dirty raw beet needs to be sanitized before adding to cooled wort :drunk:

Back in "the day", I made a bunch of no-boil kits. Topped off right from the hose. Might as well have spit in there. No prob.

Yeah, about 25 in and while one beer was way off (sourish) I don't think that was an infection, more of a temperature thing. It looked good, but tasted horrible. You know they say keep the same practices and repeat. The best I made was basically spilling most of my liquid yeast on the counter and having to sqeegee that back into a plastic sandwich bag. I thought for sure that was going to blow up in my face. Can't quite replicate that.......

You're all gonna anger the beer gods talking about this....They're gonna think you're bragging and send the evil beer gnomes to your houses to p1ss in your fermenters. And you don't want THOSE ugly bastards hanging around.

288944953_3bcfc0f1b9.jpg

I would shush about this, and toss some irish moss, or better yet some starsan over your shoulder to break this potential jinx.

;)

I'm working on extract batch number 8, and they've all gone well so far. I'm having a much better time with beer than I did with cider--I think I had to pour about half of that out . . .

Yeah, about 25 in and while one beer was way off (sourish) I don't think that was an infection, more of a temperature thing. It looked good, but tasted horrible.

Sounds like an infection to me!

97 batches since my last one.

Love the gnome, revvy!
personally doing well and staying vigilant with starsan. (just in case)

12 done, one really sour.

i will appease the beer gnomes and admit i've had 1 infected batch. it was a porter that i never did figure out how it got soured. a few hundred successful, though

My first batch (Coopers Real Ale) was infected and was absolutely nasty. A buddy of mine liked it though, I think he was crazy. Anyway, I washed my bottled in soap & water, didn't know WTF I was doing. Nasty.

Anyway, that was July. Did batch #5 tonight, no infections on batches 2-4. I have since learned the magic of the sanitize cycle on me dishworsher.

I'm at batch number nine, and so far . . . . . No infections . . . . . . Knock on wood . . . . .

NRS

Never had an infection in my 5 batches so far, but I noticed something interesting on my last batch:

I went to bottle, took off the screw-top lid and on the OUTSIDE of the lid's ring there was something that looked like shower mold.

It was even on the rubber gasket underneath the lid.

But all the stuff that was exposed to the inside of the bucket was clean. It kinda helped me realize, as has been said here before, beer really does want to be beer. Now I see, those yeasts do a pretty darned good job.

I'm not gonna spit dip in the bucket or anything, but I was quite impressed...

Been brewing since early 90's. Can't quantify the number of batches but it is quite a few. Never had a batch I thought was "infected" but I've had a couple that attenuated way too low so there must have been some volunteer yeasts in there. I've made some real snafus sanitation-wise along the way, and have come to the conclusion it's almost difficult to screw up. Grow and throw a lot of healthy yeast and they will kick the butts of any other invaders on their sugar turf.

50 batches and one infection - bucket faucet was leaking. I had to spray my arm with star san and tighten it from the inside. My buckets no longer have faucets.

You're all gonna anger the beer gods talking about this....They're gonna think you're bragging and send the evil beer gnomes to your houses to p1ss in your fermenters. And you don't want THOSE ugly bastards hanging around.

288944953_3bcfc0f1b9.jpg

I would shush about this, and toss some irish moss, or better yet some starsan over your shoulder to break this potential jinx.

;)

Hahaha... Good to see the old Revvy still lives. Brewing since '76 and no "infections" yet. Don't have any wood to knock on.

Been brewing since early 90's. Can't quantify the number of batches but it is quite a few. Never had a batch I thought was "infected" but I've had a couple that attenuated way too low so there must have been some volunteer yeasts in there. I've made some real snafus sanitation-wise along the way, and have come to the conclusion it's almost difficult to screw up. Grow and throw a lot of healthy yeast and they will kick the butts of any other invaders on their sugar turf.

Volunteer yeasts? That's an infection. Don't worry, I'm sure most everyone here is in denial.

I've drain poured twice.

i will appease the beer gnomes and admit i've had 1 infected batch. it was a porter that i never did figure out how it got soured. a few hundred successful, though

had a porter as well that was infected. never did figure it out, working theory is grain dust.

so, 1 out of 17.

I'm over 30 batches and I've never had beer become infected. The one time I tried to make a cider it ended up tasting like pickles so I'm guessing it was infected.

I've had a funky bottle here and there, but never (knock on wood) a full batch infection

no infections so far, but I'm a little worried about a juniper red ale that's carbing up right now. drank a bit too much homebrew while bottling, worried I got lazy with sanitizing. meh, time will tell.

I have one that might be infected now. How would you know if you had gusher and keg?

All I know, is that I seem to be using very little CO2.

By most accounts, this a great infection to have that only bothers bottlers.

Possible?

1 so far. 365gal or so, 65 batches or so. I'm not surprised by it though. I used a small piece of tupperware for my "airlock" on the carboy. Foamed up, then blew off for a couple days, so it was sitting open in my cellar (oollllld cellar). Eventually some pellicle started forming since I let it sit for awhile, so I am letting it ride out to see what kind of bugs got in there. Still smells good.

I accidentally dumped my arm into a bucket of cream ale thinking it was sanitizer since both had white foam on top. Turned out just fine.

Infection (looks awesome, if it tastes good maybe I'll open ferment more, hah):
Infection-1045.jpg

I have brewed under 10 myself and have not had any issues.. Even when I have had some mistakes...

The most recent bottling I ventured through may change that. When I racked to the bottling bucket it was dripping like mad, I didn't tighten the spigot nut because I have never had it leak before... Needless to say I sprayed my arm down with sanitizer and reached right in. I'm sure it will be fine but I guess time will tell :mug:

8 or so batches. No infections, some living in an apartment with 5 other guys (not clean by any means), some in a 30 year old apartment with various mold problems.

Back