Selling my product

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlaureanti

Reaction score
Here's my first post. Thank you everyone for all the information I have used to brew my first few home brews and now I have a question.

So, I really want to start a microbrewery but I am not able to produce the required minimum gallons per year, well yet anyway. So in the mean time I was wondering how I go about selling my home brew while not breaking any laws. In az I have to make 10,000 gallons per year in order to get a license. But, what if I want to sell my product? Am I only allowed to if i have a license?

Here's my first post. Thank you everyone for all the information I have used to brew my first few home brews and now I have a question.

So, I really want to start a microbrewery but I am not able to produce the required minimum gallons per year, well yet anyway. So in the mean time I was wondering how I go about selling my home brew while not breaking any laws. In az I have to make 10,000 gallons per year in order to get a license. But, what if I want to sell my product? Am I only allowed to if i have a license?

It is illegal to sell or barter homebrew. No if and or buts. If you want to sell you must obatain the necessary licenses and permits.

If you are really serious about going pro...here's where you need to start.

http://www.ttb.gov/beer/qualify.shtml

And here.... http://probrewer.com/

And some info here... https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/very-small-micro-brew-feasible-expand-206571/#post2411735

:mug:

I'm pretty sure it's 5,000 in AZ - or maybe that's just if you run a bar/restaraunt...

I figured there would be no way around getting a license and I am in the process of obtaining one but I have seen both 5,000 and 10,000 gallon limits. I could do 5,000 but I do not think that I could pull of 10,000 gallons right now. Thank you for your help I really appreciate it.

you may also look into opening a "macro brewery" those are starting to crop up here in So-cal.

As for making money of homebrew. its illegal. the government wants their cut. That being said though you could tell your freinds that if they like your brew they could float you a couple of bucks towards ingredients for your next batch

The only real way to start a successful brewery is to send samples of your beer to me for a "professional" critique. I will PM you my address and expect a package soon :)

well you could trade your beer for other stuff you want or stuff that is valuable that you can sell so that technically no money changes hands.

really? had no idea.

Yep- because there is a value to bartered goods. In some states, it's even illegal to give away home brew, let alone barter/sell it!

State laws vary widely, from brewing being illegal to it being very well accepted. When you talk at all about friends chipping in for ingredients for bartering, you're getting into some legal hot water.

Hey jlauriante you live close to me! Come on over & discuss anytime over some of my homebrew. I don't know anything about pro brewing, but I enjoy the company of other homebrewers, especially on brewdays. Thinking about brewing a Barleywine next weekend. PM me & I'll send you address so you can come make fun of me.

We should probably have a well detailed sticky explaining the basic legal issues, since we have had so many threads pop up.

To the OP -- you may be able to produce less my structuring a business as a brewpub rather than a brewery. The downside is that you will have to comply with those state regulations surrounding serving alcohol as well (but likely less concern over labeling and transportation regulations). That may or may not be of interest to you.

Alternatively, depending on the rules of your state, you may be able to do contract brewing through a local brewery or brewpub under their licenses on their equipment but sold under your name.

I thought it was google.com :D

prepare for the holiday onslaught! :fro:

lol true

But you do see a lot of incorrect advice/statements of law like it's ok to trade homebrew for equipment/ingredients, it's ok to let your friends give you money for future batches, it's ok to leave a tip jar out, etc. that lead people astray...

What size batches are you making? Do you have a day job? Making 10,000 gallons is not easy for the typical homebrewer.

Do you want to open a brewery because it's fun at home, and you think you have good beer? How much beer have you brewed to date?

Just curious.
TB

lol true

But you do see a lot of incorrect advice/statements of law like it's ok to trade homebrew for equipment/ingredients, it's ok to let your friends give you money for future batches, it's ok to leave a tip jar out, etc. that lead people astray...

I have a jar next to my kegerator with a cork lid that says "Pay up, $ucka" on it. I don't charge for my homebrews, and I don't ask for a specific amount per pint. Typically, people put in 5 or 10 bucks and drink several pints over a couple weeks. I think of it as them chipping in for the cost of ingredients to make the beer that they're drinking.

TB

I have a jar next to my kegerator with a cork lid that says "Pay up, $ucka" on it. I don't charge for my homebrews, and I don't ask for a specific amount per pint. Typically, people put in 5 or 10 bucks and drink several pints over a couple weeks. I think of it as them chipping in for the cost of ingredients to make the beer that they're drinking.

TB

agreed. I do the same thing when I have a party or when I haul 4 kegs out to the desert with me for a big wheeling weekend. :tank:

TB

I sure hope your state alcohol regulators never see that.

You can open a small nano brewery or something like that. I was just reading about Hess down in San Diego. Something like a 1.5 bbl brew system that he brews on once a week. Open like every other afternoon and weekends for tastings. They don't sell bottles or kegs at all yet and are only available on site. They seem to be in a small industrial unit with the tasting room right there where they brew.

Bootleggers here in Fullerton is kinda the same way, industrial space with the roll up door and all. I had one of those units a couple years ago that was plenty big enough for a small brew rig and a few tables/ bar area for tasting. Was like $900 a month and that was here in Socal. Few good tasting days a month would pay for that and the equipment I imagine until you get your name out.

You still need all of the applicable licenses obviously but it is definitely cheaper than trying to open a bar/ brewpub.

What size batches are you making? Do you have a day job? Making 10,000 gallons is not easy for the typical homebrewer.

Do you want to open a brewery because it's fun at home, and you think you have good beer? How much beer have you brewed to date?

Just curious.
TB

Actually I have a whole 5 full grain batches under my belt, tons of experience I know. But, I have worked the restaurant industry for 10+ years and have ran multiple night clubs / bars in my day. I have always wanted to own a brewery and I am in the process of starting a new business.

As for the mechanics and science behind brewing I am all about that. I am almost finished with a molecular biology degree and about to begin a masters in genetic engineering. My goal is to eventually genetically modify all aspects of my brew ingredients as well as grow all ingredients hydroponically/organically.

I realize this is a huge feat and shouldnt be taken lightly. I also realize that I am not going to be able to open a brewery in a short period of time by any means. But, I am brewing a batch a week and beginning to create recipes and multiple brew systems as to be able to keep up with 5,000 per year. I, in no way shape or form see this as being quick, easy or cheap. But I am ready for the challenge and i cannot wait to unleash my brew upon the masses.

I would also like to say thank you again to everyone who has commented with helpful information. This site has a plethora of information and I am very grateful to be a part of this community

Actually I have a whole 5 full grain batches under my belt, tons of experience I know. But, I have worked the restaurant industry for 10+ years and have ran multiple night clubs / bars in my day. I have always wanted to own a brewery and I am in the process of starting a new business.

As for the mechanics and science behind brewing I am all about that. I am almost finished with a molecular biology degree and about to begin a masters in genetic engineering. My goal is to eventually genetically modify all aspects of my brew ingredients as well as grow all ingredients hydroponically/organically.

I realize this is a huge feat and shouldnt be taken lightly. I also realize that I am not going to be able to open a brewery in a short period of time by any means. But, I am brewing a batch a week and beginning to create recipes and multiple brew systems as to be able to keep up with 5,000 per year. I, in no way shape or form see this as being quick, easy or cheap. But I am ready for the challenge and i cannot wait to unleash my brew upon the masses.

I would also like to say thank you again to everyone who has commented with helpful information. This site has a plethora of information and I am very grateful to be a part of this community
Believe me, I'm not trying to be negative, but do you have any idea how you're going to fund genetic engineering of ingredients with brew pub money? I'm sure you realize that that's a very involved process with no necessary returns, and it can be quite costly depending on your team, lab, growing capacity, and research. Hey, if you've got a plan, that's great, but this sounds a bit ambitious for someone in your position.

Like I said, I'm not trying to be negative or discourage you; I'm just trying to be realistic (I'm also a skeptic).

Wishing you luck with your adventure, whatever it molds into.
TB

Tiber_Brew,

I do understand what all would go into the immense amount of research but I also have no intentions on completing any part of this any time soon. Unless I hit the lottery soon, lol. Anyway, the plan is to start with the brewery, probably a small brew pub, something that I can keep a handle on while finishing school and eventually (20 years or so) end up with some crazy strain(s).

No offense taken. I am super skeptical of my own ideas but I figure you gotta go big or go home right?

Tiber_Brew,

I do understand what all would go into the immense amount of research but I also have no intentions on completing any part of this any time soon. Unless I hit the lottery soon, lol. Anyway, the plan is to start with the brewery, probably a small brew pub, something that I can keep a handle on while finishing school and eventually (20 years or so) end up with some crazy strain(s).

No offense taken. I am super skeptical of my own ideas but I figure you gotta go big or go home right?

So you want to own and run a business while working on a masters degree?

You, sir, have got to be one of the most ambitious guys I know of!

Again, best of luck! Hope you live the dream!
TB

You can open a small nano brewery or something like that. I was just reading about Hess down in San Diego. Something like a 1.5 bbl brew system that he brews on once a week. Open like every other afternoon and weekends for tastings. They don't sell bottles or kegs at all yet and are only available on site. They seem to be in a small industrial unit with the tasting room right there where they brew.

Hess also has a blog with a list of nanobrewers around the country. I was looking for that link but came up short.

Lemme keep trying...

edit: Hey! I found it...
http://hessbrewing.blogspot.com/

Back