Foamy Wort Going Into Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eighteez

Reaction score
Did our third batch last night...

A newcastle brown style brown ale.

We've done a red and an amber before this, both were liquid malt, this one was DME.

Anyway, after cooling the wort we poured it back and forth thru the strainer a few times to get out some gunk and aerate it. Also topping it off to 5 gallons.

This time when doing so we noticed that it got rather foamy. In a 6.5 gal fermenting bucket there was foam all the way up to the lid when we closed it up.

That was all last night, this morning the airlock is bubbling nicely.

My guess is everything is fine. But I figure I 'd ask. Anyone else have big foamy wort?

yes. I usually have a lot of foam on the top after transferring into my fermenter. You aerated the hell out of it when you poured through the strainer, which is great for the yeast, and it leaves foam when you do it.

Just had the same situation tonight, and I'm glad to hear that the foam's not a problem. There was one small problem though - all that foam made it darn near impossible to get an OG reading off my hydrometer. It almost disappeared under all the foam.

Honestly if you aerate well you should have a lot of foam on top IMO, although with an airstone its not very thick since you have control over the flow and its pure O2.

Just had the same situation tonight, and I'm glad to hear that the foam's not a problem. There was one small problem though - all that foam made it darn near impossible to get an OG reading off my hydrometer. It almost disappeared under all the foam.

Just sanitize a measuring cup and steal a small sample out...you only need about 2-3 oz to fill up the tube the hydrometer comes in...

Sounds pretty normal to me. I just did a batch last night and after aeration of the wort things were pretty foamy in the fermenter.

Back