CHI single handled kegs, $61/4 kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 22118

Reaction score
Just went to the CHI company site for a good deal and stumbled on the single handled ball lock kegs for $16 a piece! I grabbed four and after shipping (which I wasn't charged) it should come out at less than $25 a piece. Good deal for me.

Dayamn. I've been eyeing those cheap single-handle ones. At that price, coming out to $21.50 including shipping to my place, I might have to spring on 'em. Hm Hm Hm. Is it time to go to 14 kegs? Maybe :)

School me on these.

Other than the handle, are there any differences between these and "regular" kegs?

Nope. No difference. Just the handle(s).

Thx, I am ordering some.

OT Question: I just got my first kegs in over the weekend. Should they smell like Pepsi?

These were supposedly "cleaned, sanitized and pressurized". One was under pressure when I got it, the other was not.

Thx, I am ordering some.

OT Question: I just got my first kegs in over the weekend. Should they smell like Pepsi?

These were supposedly "cleaned, sanitized and pressurized". One was under pressure when I got it, the other was not.

The sweet smell is likely caustic cleaner, it just smells like that. Rinse them three times for good measure.

The sweet smell is likely caustic cleaner, it just smells like that. Rinse them three times for good measure.

And toss a scoop of OxyClean in with hot water. Caustic cleaner works great but you don't really know when they were cleaned, date wise.

I always treat anything that comes "clean" as questionable and clean it again myself.

Yes,
One should ALWAYS fully disassemble, clean & sanitize to your own standards every keg from any source (even ours) because Pepsi may have cleaned these some months ago.

Matt

PS: oh....as of 10/20 we are sold out of the single handle kegs. They went fast. May have more in the future at regular price when we get into the next cargo container batch.

Serves me right for waiting to ask for budget officer approval before purchasing.

It's always easier to ask forgiveness than permission. :(

Back