New recipe idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talcottsk

Reaction score
I will start this batch soon, wanted to get some input

Spiced cider--all fresh apples, juiced by myself--1 gallon batch
3 cinnamon sticks,
.25 oz cloves,
small ginger root(mashed)
peels of 2 oranges zested
.5 pound brown sugar
im using "muntons gold yeast"

add everything in primary, new cinnamon, cloves, orange peel in secondary
This is my spiced cider test, so I think it might be a bit strong on the spices, but im going for the far spectrum first, if its no good, ill step back next time-

any suggestions, thought, questions?
thanks guys

Hey bloke, I'm going to put down a spiced cider this weekend, Similar recipe but I hadn't thought of the ginger! What sort of apples are you using? how do you juice them? Let us know how it turns out, we could swap notes?:D

yeah sounds great, what other differences do you have in recipe.(devils in the details)
I'm actually not so sure about the ginger, first for me, but ill let you know how it all shapes up

Well this will be the first Spiced cider I've atttempted, someone suggested that to keep the flavours of the spices it may be beneficial to have a sweeter cider, I am going to try to get some lactose from my shop tommorow.
My only other recipes or all variations of the same one, Starting with an extract cider tin base and add....
well, I've added Apple and pear juice mix, turned out really sweet,
pineapple juice, this is still aging nicely and after 4weeks wasn't too bad,
I've got a mango cider aging as well, only tasted it when I bottled it 2 weeks ago and it wasn't too bad either. they always improve after a few months.
I am being coerced into sending in the Mango/Apple cider to the Nationals, this year, I won 2 regional events last year and one bloke from the brewing community is railroading me into entering, I think in rrevenge for beating him in the 2 regionals,

I won't try the ginger this time , you can play Guinea pig this time, but I'll let you know how the lactose works out,

cheers Alx

I squeezed the apples and added spices yesterday, added spices in 1 gallon
4 cinnamon sticks, about 15g cloves, 15g ginger, orange zest from 1 1/2 oranges--about 3 cups brown sugar

smells lovely--pitching yeast tonight, and I will break out the hydrometer get my OG

Update--racked to seondary today--hydrometer reading of .996 which gives me more than 11% ABV :confused: I thougth my ale yeast would stop before 11%
So I have added 1 and 1/4 cup brown sugar and I am hoping the yeast is not hungry still (added campden just to send a hint)

I put that in the fridge for about 4 days, racked off the sediment, added another cup of brown sugar, let that set in fridge for another 3 days and now warming to room temp--to make sure all yeast dead
this was a troublesome one
still curous how my ale yeast made it to 11% is that normal, any ideas?

Back