bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CptnRedbeard

Reaction score
I brew beer and cider and I want to try kt for something to drink at work during the day. I want it to be cold and carbonated like my beer. So can I just add my priming sugar and bottle kt just like I do with beer? Or is the SCOBY just too different for some reason? Kt often tastes sweeter to me than I would expect from a shelf-stable beverage with live yeast. Thanks for your help.

Yes, you can bottle kombucha. You have to be a bit carefull, though. The problem is that when you bottle kombucha, there's still quite a bit of sugar left, and so you might get bottle bombs. Priming sugar is therefore usually not necessary. Of course you could let the kombucha ferment pretty dry before bottling, but then it will probably be way too sour! Note that hydrometer readings don't make much sense for kombucha, because there are different processes going on, with a different affect on the gravity readings.
If you condition the kombucha for a couple of days after bottling, you probably get nice carbonation. If you then store the stuff cold, you should be able to avoid over carbonation.

Personally, I let the kombucha set a bit longer, and then store in champagne bottles for extended periods of time, without adding priming sugar. This way I get a clear, well carbonated and well-aged kombucha...

Oh, you dont let it ferment out all the way? Then how do they ever get it shelf stable? Or maybe they don't? So it sounds like refrigeration is key and I just need to feel it out. I'm nervous about embarking on kombucha because it seems so much more vague than beer. It's done when... You feel like! It won't explode because... Good karma?

Maybe kegging would be easier because the regulator could adjust for the continuous fermentation. (I don't actually have any idea because kegging is the other thing I'm hoping to figure out soon.)

It's done when... You feel like! It won't explode because... Good karma?

Yes, you've pretty much hit the nail on the head. I guess most (all?) commercial producers either refrigerate of pasteurize.

If you let it ferment out completely, then I guess you pretty much end up with vinegar.

Personally, I have no experience with kegging. Are you planning on bringing a keg to work?? :tank:

I actually walked into the office the other day to find this

ForumRunner_20131111_232519.png

unexpectedly around the corner from my office. I'm guessing for firm events. I only started here a few weeks ago. Still, at least we're equipped!

I've been gathering motivation to make the leap to start kegging, and this kombucha discovery does add a few points in favor. Now it's time to figure how cheap I can be and still make it work.

CptnRedbeard said:
I actually walked into the office the other day to find this

unexpectedly around the corner from my office. I'm guessing for firm events. I only started here a few weeks ago. Still, at least we're equipped!

I've been gathering motivation to make the leap to start kegging, and this kombucha discovery does add a few points in favor. Now it's time to figure how cheap I can be and still make it work.

Your office is much better than mine.....

I would invest in some PET plastic bottles. Prime around half the normal homebrew amount and watch the bottles. Once a day give the bottle a squeeze. When they are pretty hard, place them in the fridge and bring however many you want to work. Keep them cold to keep any further carbonation at a minimum.

Back