yeast weighing after washing ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Creepersale

Reaction score
is there any way of weighing your yeast after i have washed and stored in mason jars ? or is it needed ? the yeast i have collected in a half a pint jar is definatly way morethen whats in a WL vile ! from what can I tell but is that all i need to know is just eye balling it ?? lol thanks

:mug:

No, you don't weigh washed yeast. You can however use mr.malty.com to get correct pitching rates in volume of yeast. Or you can get more serious and use a microscope....but that may be overboard.

Why not measure how much yeast you have using something like a beaker or measuring cylinder. If you have another mason jar the same size then put water into it to the level of the yeast in your mason jar. Measure the volume of water and use that and the date you harvested (or preferably when FG was reached in the brew) as the basis for calculating starters required using Mr Malty and YeastCalc.

I think that will take the guess work out of it to some degree.

Back