When a blowoff tube just isn't enough...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

httr91

Reaction score
Austin Homebrew Supply 90min DFH clone kit. These were sent to me by SWMBO today, yeah, I'm looking forward to coming home from work tonight...

photo[1].jpg

photo[2].jpg

OMFG,that is without doubt, the best worst thing to happen to a brew. You just know she is going to want you to stop brewing because of this.

Pretty crazy... Looks like ester city as well, I bet that thing hit 80 degrees before it did that. You need a mat or something dude ;)

lowlife said:
You guys fermenting on carpet with no temp control attempt at all are nuts.....

This.

Even when I started out, I put stuff down on the carpet, just in case something like this happened. Not so much to make cleanup easier as to reduce the chance that my girlfriend would kill me (or at least try to make me stop brewing.)

If I wasn't late for work, I would have put it in the shower at least, so I totally agree on the carpet was a bad idea. I've made many batches and have never had anything close to this happen, but this was the first really high gravity one. SMWBO wasn't mad so I'm very thankful for that!

What do you guys use for temperature control? Some kind of small refrigerator or something else?

If I wasn't late for work, I would have put it in the shower at least, so I totally agree on the carpet was a bad idea. I've made many batches and have never had anything close to this happen, but this was the first really high gravity one. SMWBO wasn't mad so I'm very thankful for that!

What do you guys use for temperature control? Some kind of small refrigerator or something else?

I got an old upright freezer and put a ranco dual stage temp controller on it. Works great!

Before I installed an axillery AC unit, I would ferment downstairs on the concrete in the coolest room of the house. Typically would then use a fan to blow across the bucket. Works for the most part. And the the room in the basement typically would stay in the upper 60s.

There is a floor drain in the room as well. Helps if I got any spills.

Haha, that is great. At least put a towel down or something...Before I got my fermenting freezer I always kept it on hard floors that are easy to clean up, and even then I still put it on a towel in case of any drips or anything.

Won't be the last time, believe me.

Chest freezer with external controller, Johnson or Ranco.

I would recommend a blast chamber if you are going to continue to brew that DFH recipe. :D

Nice Pictures!!! In the famous words of Tommy Boy "That was AWESOME!!!"

Like landshark, i currently use the basement and can regualarly keep my temp at 62-64* but have never tried an imperial.

Looks like it might have even got into the HVAC. Should smell pretty good when the air kicks on. I wonder if Yankee Candle sells a malt or hop one?

I did this with a imperial stout once. I did put my carboy in a plastic tub. But it litteraly exploded out of the carboy all over the wall and ceiling. Found it a couple days later and couldn't wash the brown stains off. Had to repaint the room.

The beer turned out great though.

I don't know what the heck you fed that thing. But it got the hearshy squirts...really bad. Reminds me of the pig cop in the outhouse in Duke Nukem,time to kill. Wooooink boom! Big bloody shizz splatter. Almost looks the same,...hmmmm?

Back