Apple Flavored Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildnout14

Reaction score
Found a apple beer.Has anybody made this?

This is for a ~5 gallon batch.
Grain Bill

8 lb 2-row Pale Malt
2 lb White Wheat
1.5 lb Crystal 60
.5 lb Roasted Barley

Hopping schedule

1 oz. East Kent Goldings 5.5% Alpha Acid for 60 mins.
.5 oz UK Northdown 6.5% Alpha Acid for 15 mins.

Also

1 tsp. Irish Moss for 15 mins.
1/2 Gala apple, sliced up, in the hopback

When Racking to Secondary

.5 Tbs Cinnamon
.5 Tbs Nutmeg
1 Gallon Organic Apple Cider

Notes

The specific gravity when the wort went into the primary was 1.060. When I racked it to the secondary (before adding the cider), it was 1.022. The specific gravity of the cider was 1.051. I’m not sure why the fermentation stalled so early; but I suspect the low fermentation temperatures in my basement. I forgot to take a reading when I bottled, so I don’t know how much alcohol the cider added, but I imagine it re-started the stalled fermentation, since it didn’t finish too sweet.

Be sure you read through the whole recipe before starting (though you made it this far, so why am I mentioning it?). You will want to be sure that your secondary fermenter has enough room for the 1 Gallon of cider you will be adding.

I have a buddy who makes an really good apple saison with roasted granny smith apples, and I make alot of ciders of all varieties. A few tips:

1) Following your method above, the beer's going to be ready to drink long before the apple flavor starts to peak. You are almost not going to be able to taste the apple flavor for a good 6-8 weeks, and the apple flavor is going to peak a good 2-3 months after that. You'll end up with a better apple beer if you can be patient with conditioning.

2) Do you happen to keg? If you keg, you may want to consider using the apple cider post fermentation to backsweeten the beer. Basically, you cold crash the beer in the keg then add the apple juice, and it will stay too cold for the yeast to ferment the apple cider. That way, you get the complete apple cider flavor right off the bat without having to wait for it. If you bottle, this procedure is a real PITA to get right, so just stick with your secondary idea. If you do keg, I would definitely recommend this procedure instead of the secondary, and would cut your cider addition down from 1 gallon to 1/2 gallon.

Good luck!

Apple flavoring in beer is generaly thought of as a flaw know as acetaldehyde, having judged many beers with this flaw I say YUCK, But if thats what you like go for it !

Pat

Watch the episode of brewing TV that is being released today, its going to be about graf. Depending on your taste you can do a stout, they are tasting a couple of my bottles on the episode and will have the recipes for them. Our just search around here for Graff.

The apple graf posted on here is really good stuff. I have made it several times and it is always a big hit. I have plans of making it again in the very near future but rather than 4 to 1 apple juice to beer I want to go half and half.

Back