Syracuse, ny - round 7 group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I added a group at the end for people who are picking up their own and not participating in a organized pick up with a single buyer.

I put you under the Buffalo, NY location on Jeff's sheet, right now you are listed as the driver, but we can update as well.

I also put myself as the driver for Elmira area pick up (which right now is for Mparsons, dbennett78 (please confirm)) Mparsons will pick up the grain from me and take the rest down for dbennett78 as I understand it.

I would suggest everyone putting their name on the sheet, even if you are picking up for yourself alone. This will let us know how many pick ups we should expect. Jeff you think that is a good way to do it? Or maybe put in a place indicating "single pick up" and destination. This may also promote people in similar areas to join up and save on gas for transport.

I am also assuming that CBK, rustbucket, erikrocks, westo2 and jbsengineer are not in on this buy as of this moment? I don't see them signed up for anything. I know rust said that he might be in, but isn't sure yet. If you guys are for sure in on the buy let Jeff know. Thanks!

lastly:

I used pine on mine just because of cost. Anyway, you can do a couple things to make it look much nicer. You can use a treatment (minwax sells it) that is water based and basically helps clog up the pores of the wood and make pine stain in a more uniform fashion.

An easier way to do it IMO, is to buy some of the minwax prestain colored poly (polyshades). The stuff works great even on pine, just follow the surface prep application (light uniform sanding) and in between coats gently scuff up the surface with 000 steel wool (clean off by dipping a rag in mineral spirits and wiping the filings off) so the second and third coat adhere to the preceding coat. I used it for my home bar (tongue and groove) and my keezer. Unfortunately I don't have great pics of either in my gallery, but it is uniform in coating. In my gallery you will see a couple decent shots of the inside of the keezer, however i just slopped it on in there so it was water tight, so you won't see craftsmanship on that coat application :D

I hate painting and putting coatings on of anything, but this stuff at least comes out good pretty consistently IME.

I have been hearing a lot about Summit hops lately (never used them), how they have a really serious tangerine type flavor. In line with that I added them to the hops buy:

Might be great to try in my amarillo IPA, or anywhere that you use Amarillo. At the current price of amarillo, and the price of the bulk hops I gotta try them :D

HU‐90SMT Summit

Has anybody had a first hand experience with these hops?

Also - just posted interest for a 15G corny. I would like to buy one, but am too cheap to pay for new. If anybody has and wants to sell me one let me know.

mparsons - have you down for the summit

Added a # of summit to go with the 2nd pound of EKG (I added this yesterday). Now up to 13# of hops...and I have over 20# in my freezer. Please STOP adding more stuff I don't have but want. Please.

I am also assuming that CBK, rustbucket, erikrocks, westo2 and jbsengineer are not in on this buy as of this moment? I don't see them signed up for anything. I know rust said that he might be in, but isn't sure yet. If you guys are for sure in on the buy let Jeff know. Thanks!

Well - I was planning on sitting out until the next one - but then checked and realized I've blown through about 2/3 of the 2-row from the last batch.

And you added hops.....

So, I'll likely be jumping in on this one as well, I pm'd Jeff about spreadsheet access - so I'll add mine to the list once that is all set. I also have some other guys at work who I am sure will be interested.

-Weston

So I added myself as a driver for Rochester NY (although I'm the only one from Rochester who has added so far looks like). I don't have a pickup or anything. Best I have is a 4 door sedan type and a hatch back. I don't have a real good mental image of how much you can cram into either of those :p.

So depending on how many Rochester area folks might need more than just me if anyone else wanted to group.

jdowling said:
So I added myself as a driver for Rochester NY (although I'm the only one from Rochester who has added so far looks like). I don't have a pickup or anything. Best I have is a 4 door sedan type and a hatch back. I don't have a real good mental image of how much you can cram into either of those :p.

So depending on how many Rochester area folks might need more than just me if anyone else wanted to group.

I put 8.5 sacks in my Subaru outback with room for my son plus a couple overnight bags.

Well - I was planning on sitting out until the next one - but then checked and realized I've blown through about 2/3 of the 2-row from the last batch.

And you added hops.....

So, I'll likely be jumping in on this one as well, I pm'd Jeff about spreadsheet access - so I'll add mine to the list once that is all set. I also have some other guys at work who I am sure will be interested.

-Weston

haha - sounds good to me! Just trying to play a little clean up :D The hops are stupid cheap if we can get them as planned. I am hoping for a pallet of hops!

jdowling - You might even get some people who want to go in on hops only. I know drocu was considering it, but wasn't sure if anyone from Rochester was coming. He might be out this round though.

Added some hops to the sheet. Would also be interested in a full bucket of PBW if that is possible.

Added some hops to the sheet. Would also be interested in a full bucket of PBW if that is possible.

absolutely on the PBW - I added it for you. I think right now they are only available as a full bucket.

Since most people that did the survey said they could support a Saturday fixed date/time pickup, we are opening up a limited number of half bag splits (to start). We will try our best to give everyone a 3 week notice on the pickup date, figure it will go something like this:

Week 1: Warning that the order is close to meeting order goal, 1 week notice on official closing of the buy.
Week 2: Order is officially closed, deposit amounts posted in spreadsheet are sent to CidahMastah. Deposits are required within a week of closing.
Week 3: Deposit deadline. Cidah processes all deposits. Order placed on Wed/Thurs of that week.
Week 4: Grain shipment arrives early/mid week at location. Grain is counted, confirmed, and separated per buyer by Cidah, TwoGunz, and I. Splits processed off location during mid week. Saturday of this week is the pickup, with splits arriving on location this day.

I think this will give everyone a 3-4 week notice, but everyone will have to make sure to pay within the first week to ensure it goes smoothly, but i think we can make it work. Also we might be able to make special arrangements with a limited number of people for pickup, but to keep it easy on TwoGunz's fathers business, lets try to get 90%+ of the pickups completed on the Saturday pickup.

As for the splits:
-Limited number of half bag splits only (10 total)
-To start, lets try to keep to 1 split per person (just to give everyone a shot). If splits don't close or fill up fast, we will allow multiples per person.

Jeff - thanks for getting me added.

I'm in on a bunch of hops, and put in a split of crystal 60 as well as some 2-row.

I added a split of Pacific Jade hops - one of my new favorites in a Rye IPA, also put on another split of East Kent Goldings - as the present one has filled.

Also listed myself as the driver for Buffalo - if someone else wants to pick up, we can work it out later.

Thanks Again,

Weston

jdowling, I put myself down in the Rochester group. I can drive when the time comes too, and I have a truck we can borrow if for some reason we have a big group

Westo, what is pacific jade like? I'm not familiar with it.

It works well as a bittering hop and I also use it as a dry hop. It has a citrus quality. The recipe I use (from austin homebrew -a new Zealand rye ipa) combines it with Pacifica and nelson sauvin. It has become my favorite summer beer.

Hey guys
I added a split for BZ-CHIT, which I think is similar to the use of carapils (BZ-CRPL), but costs less. (Used for foam and head retention.)

If someone wants to get carapils, I am willing to get that instead to close out the split.

Loving the hop split action. Looks like we have 3 types secured:
HU-90EKG East Kent Golding 11
HU-90CAS Cascade 11
HU-90CTP Centennial 11

with several on the verge of filling up:

HU-90CLM Columbus 6
HU-90MTH Mt Hood 8
HU-90GSZ Saaz 4
HU-90GMG Magnum 4
HU-90FGL Fuggle 5
HU-90WLT Willamette 3
HU-90TNG Tettnang 6
HU-90NPT Newport 2
HU-90NBR Northern Brewer 6
HU-90EKG East Kent Golding 1
HU-90GPR Perle 6
HU-90WAR Warrior 2
HU-90MTF Mittlefruh 1
HU-90HBR Hersbrucker 1
HU-90CAS Cascade 1
HU-90SMT Summit 6
HU‐90NZPJ - Pacific Jade 1

This is really awesome! We owe it to ourselves to at least close up all the hops that have 6 or more shares spoke for :D Keep 'em coming gents.

Hello Gents.

Does anyone have or have access to one of these tubing benders? I am going to try and borrow one if possible, before I shell out the coin. I want to have the ability to bend some 90 degree turns into my coil.

I have a bender just like that which you are more than welcome to use. Will shoot you a pm with my cell # to make arrangements.

Phewwwwwwww. Work had layoffs this week, and I survived. Not so much fun. But good news, I will still be participating in the buy!

Phewwwwwwww. Work had layoffs this week, and I survived. Not so much fun. But good news, I will still be participating in the buy!

That's always stressful :(. Especially if your place of employment might target whole divisions regardless of personal performance.

jeffb418 said:

Congrats on staying employed! We're currently going through layoffs as well. I think I'm safe though, knock on wood.

Thanks guys. Yeah it came out of no where. Tues they told us "by friday, 40 people will be cut". So this week has been hell. Ugh.

What does everyone think about a Syracuse group buy BBQ/bottle share? Everyone here is so friendly and it seems like everyone genuinely cares about improving this amazing hobby. It would be a good time and we could all share our beer! I would def be up for getting a hotel for a weekend during the summer or possibly camping. Lmk what everyone thinks.

Mparsons327 said:
What does everyone think about a Syracuse group buy BBQ/bottle share? Everyone here is so friendly and it seems like everyone genuinely cares about improving this amazing hobby. It would be a good time and we could all share our beer! I would def be up for getting a hotel for a weekend during the summer or possibly camping. Lmk what everyone thinks.

I would be all about it. Plus, I need some actual critics for my beer. But more importantly, I need to meet more homebrewers.

jeffb418 said:
Thanks guys. Yeah it came out of no where. Tues they told us "by friday, 40 people will be cut". So this week has been hell. Ugh.

40...yikes. How many people work there?

We have 1100 total nationwide, but the layoffs were out of about 700 in Syracuse. In my division of 300 we got hit by 18.

I think that could be a great idea. I would do my best to show up pending I am available. The spring summer is a bit hectic schedule wise for me, but I would try to work it in.

I think fall would be better actually. I love fall bbq's. Something about the crisp air and some brews to keep warm. Regardless of the season though, I like the idea.

If it was combined with grain pick up day, I might be able to attend. :)

Grain pick up from 9-Noon. Picnic/party in the afternoon. Hopefully close to a hotel...drive home the next day. :)

Back